Studio One 4 v Reaper Comparison

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Both have their flaws. Reaper always feels like a patched up pieve of software to me that has everything, but as so much is in scripts it may not actually work. The groove tool immediately comes to mind. Often it just does nothing. I'm not the first one to comment on this.
On the other hand, Studio One lacks some simple and obvious features such as multi channel midi recording in a single track. So there is no MPE at all. Also, as a new user, i was excited to try the drum patterm editor and immediately noticed that everything records to the grid. It's an incomplete instriment as such.

Studio One looks nicer. Reaper has great routing. Studio one has drag and drop but i could care less. Reaper has track templates which seem pretty essential and Studio One doesn't.

Honestly, Studio One seems like a potentially grea DAW that isn't there yet. Reaper does some things really well but the developers dont care about adding other things and leave it to 3rd party scripts.

Both are good and bad as everyone else has said.

I'm sure that this is going to offend someone, but, if you're asking the question, then Reaper isn't the answer for you. In general, if you like Reaper, then nothing else works better. I do think that Reaper is the best second DAW for anyone because it's like a swiss-army knife of audio tools that costs almost nothing, but, as a primary DAW, if you find this kind of video convincing, then I don't think that you'll get Reaper.

Reaper has nibbles.

Years ago, I swore by Reaper. At the time it did what I needed better and with less headache than anything else (and wasn't a crash machine and had terrific CPU optimization)

But in recent years it just seems like less works and it's more cluttered. Studio one on the other hand has made significant strides lately and feels solid (though I have heard people complain about 4.5.1) It's way more expensive and I still think it has some midi glitches but I liked it. I canceled my sub because I still feel Reason does everything I really need and I feel more like making music with it. But that's just me.

Karmoon wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:04 pm Reaper has nipples.
Really?! Man, I haven't been paying attention!

Well, I spoke too soon. The problem I described is back (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=521585&p=7450480#p7450480). I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics card. No bueno. The only progress is that I found that when I disable my second monitor, the problem goes away (Reaper is the reason I bought a 2nd monitor, though). With a couple of clicks I can also make the problem go away until I open a MIDI editor window--then another couple of clicks fixes it.

I spent way too much time today looking at Studio One videos, LOL! Studio One licenses appear frequently in KVR's Sell forum for under $165, so I'll keep daydreaming until I decide to pull the trigger.

This is the thing I discovered through this process (which my be helpful to the OP and others considering Reaper): there is no official customer support and the community's support is great until it isn't. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your help, and it's quite possible that "official" support from any company would not have been able to help me--it seems a weird combination of my specific graphics card, dual monitors (of different resolutions), and Reaper (no other program exhibits this issue). But I still feel out in the cold and do wonder what's Cockos capability to detect bugs. I posted my problem in the Reaper forum and it's possible no one in the developing team has seen it. It's Friday PM, so maybe even you guys in this thread won't see this one post, LOL.

I'm not butt-hurt, though. Reaper has been my first DAW and I'm still impressed by its capabilities. But after almost two years, it's interface still feels rough in the edges and outdated (I've explored a few skins). I was thinking "well, maybe version 6 will kill two birds with one stone: a more polished interface and a different way of rendering screens will, just by chance, fix my problem," but version 6 is not even in the horizon.

I don't know, I don't want to get into the $100-for-each-upgrade cycle with a "more commercial" DAW, either. We'll see.

monomox wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:16 pm version 6 is not even in the horizon.
No?!!
What made you say that?
I thought Reaper 6 was to be released very soon.

Has anyone compared ARA/Melodyne between Reaper 5 and Studio One 4.5?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:50 am
No?!!
What made you say that?
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php?s ... ostcount=6
check the rest of the thread

There is zero talk of Reaper 6 on the forums and 5 was in beta for awhile before it's release. My guess is that I think Justin and team are actually trying to improve the GUI and that's what the hold up is, I also think it would be a great idea to just incorporate most of those Reapack tools into the official version especially things like the dialed Radial Menu which would actually kinda revolutionary if implemented right. Reaper's coding is so ridiculously versatile it's just time to polish up and bring it together. Like getting their sampler to work like a full-fledged sampler or Ableton's Simpler shouldn't be very hard they just gotta tie a couple of different functions already existing together like they do with the Reapacks.
Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:50 am
No?!!
What made you say that?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:52 am Has anyone compared ARA/Melodyne between Reaper 5 and Studio One 4.5?
I don't know much, but in this (recent) thread some people complain about Reaper's Melodyne integration.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=220634

Studio One 4 is pretty amazing I have to say.

monomox wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:14 am
Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:52 am Has anyone compared ARA/Melodyne between Reaper 5 and Studio One 4.5?
I don't know much, but in this (recent) thread some people complain about Reaper's Melodyne integration.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=220634
Because ARA/Melodyne is important to me looks like I will make Studio One 4.5 my main DAW. But will re-examine Reaper when V6 is released and if ARA integration has reached the level of S1. Ok will have to wait a while for V6, meanwhile S1 will keep me happy.

monomox wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:16 pm Well, I spoke too soon. The problem I described is back (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=521585&p=7450480#p7450480). I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics card. No bueno. The only progress is that I found that when I disable my second monitor, the problem goes away (Reaper is the reason I bought a 2nd monitor, though). With a couple of clicks I can also make the problem go away until I open a MIDI editor window--then another couple of clicks fixes it.

I spent way too much time today looking at Studio One videos, LOL! Studio One licenses appear frequently in KVR's Sell forum for under $165, so I'll keep daydreaming until I decide to pull the trigger.

This is the thing I discovered through this process (which my be helpful to the OP and others considering Reaper): there is no official customer support and the community's support is great until it isn't. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your help, and it's quite possible that "official" support from any company would not have been able to help me--it seems a weird combination of my specific graphics card, dual monitors (of different resolutions), and Reaper (no other program exhibits this issue). But I still feel out in the cold and do wonder what's Cockos capability to detect bugs. I posted my problem in the Reaper forum and it's possible no one in the developing team has seen it. It's Friday PM, so maybe even you guys in this thread won't see this one post, LOL.

I'm not butt-hurt, though. Reaper has been my first DAW and I'm still impressed by its capabilities. But after almost two years, it's interface still feels rough in the edges and outdated (I've explored a few skins). I was thinking "well, maybe version 6 will kill two birds with one stone: a more polished interface and a different way of rendering screens will, just by chance, fix my problem," but version 6 is not even in the horizon.

I don't know, I don't want to get into the $100-for-each-upgrade cycle with a "more commercial" DAW, either. We'll see.
Official customer support is not always the solution.
I purchased a Presonus audio interface with Studio one 4 bundled.
It was impossible to register S1 so I got in touch with Presonus support who told me this was because my audio interface was a used gear and had been registered 1 year before I purchased it.
I sent all the evidence to Presonus support, tickets, picture if the audio interface with the serial Nb but they decided not to send me the licence.
I went to see the shopowner who was amazed by Presonus reply because the audio interface he dols me was brand new. He had to call his Presonus sales representative to solve the issue. I finally got my S1 licence 2 weeks after the purchase of the interface.

When I remenber this crazy story, I prefer to run Reaper with Presonus interface than S1.

monomox wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:16 pm Well, I spoke too soon. The problem I described is back (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=521585&p=7450480#p7450480). I uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics card. No bueno. The only progress is that I found that when I disable my second monitor, the problem goes away (Reaper is the reason I bought a 2nd monitor, though). With a couple of clicks I can also make the problem go away until I open a MIDI editor window--then another couple of clicks fixes it.

Official customer support is not always the solution.
I purchased a Presonus audio interface with Studio one 4 bundled.
It was impossible to register S1 so I got in touch with Presonus support who told me this was because my audio interface was a used gear and had been registered 1 year before I purchased it.
I sent all the evidences to Presonus support, sales ticket, picture of the audio interface with the serial Nb but they decided not to send me the licence.
I went to see the shop owner who was amazed by Presonus reply because the audio interface he sold me was brand new. He had to call his Presonus sales representative to solve the issue. I finally got my S1 licence 2 weeks after the purchase of the interface.

I often get in touch with cockos support and the bugs are generally quickly solved.

When I remenber this crazy story, I prefer to run Reaper with Presonus interface than S1.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”