Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I remember thinking about this way back in the year 2000 when I was swinging virtual wires like a kid with a packet of sweets in a candy store...'well actually where I'm from, the term candy store wasn't even in my vocabulary back in the mid 1980's' where I live. One could go back and recollect how music software started back in that decade and has thus progressed..... this time however and because I've covered this a couple of times in other threads before in the past year, I'll try and orientate your mind from what you know now to from how you think it will change in the future..

To some extent we do need some grounding of how things have evolved since to try and predict what lays before us, but given how long this website has been around and that of those on it, it's probably a safe bet that most here have a pretty good knowledge of most software production to think ahead.

Often it's the DAW developers themselves trying to think of an end goal in what path to take...but as far as 10 years in future, it is probably too far off in the milestone development chart for some. Hell, some DAWs, may have gone off to doggy heaven by that time, and given up the ghost notes, and only to be replaced by some new kid on the block, from a cavern in a mountain situated within Russia. A new-age weapon against the giants of that of Stingberg or even that of Presorus, coming in the form of a small brick one may stick on the side of their head...something like Firefox and thought controlled firing system...delete that note by thinking it, not by moving your hand and clicking to delete it...gain 2 to 3 seconds advantage in speed of processing... Registering your software by the scan of your eye... no more dongles, and all that before we get into the nitty gritty of the software itself with features...

Interaction in a singular way, interacting with others in another, the latter of which is something that is barely scratched upon today in the same way....
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Software/hardware hybrids, like the MPC X. Computers have too many moving parts and are a nuisance for otherwise competent people who are not that technically minded.

Modern DAWs have already more features than users are able to operate. I guess the only way to "progress" is to develop smart / AI features that actually take decisions for you. I use tools like VIP preset manager and Orb Composer to get thing done faster, but these tools could be integrated directly as a part of DAW.
For instance NI offers integrated hardware-software solution that covers all bases, but has no fully-fledged DAW yet. Akai is somewhere on the fence, but they focus on hardware.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

The only path I can see for the future is increased bloat. It's the same with most software. Honestly, I could get all my work done to the same standard with 20 year old versions of Photoshop, After Effects and 3DS Max and it wouldn't take me a whole lot longer to get there, either. It's the same with music software. Plugins get better and better but the host software they run in has basically had everything I need in it for 10-15 years. All they can do is bolt even more stuff onto it and rearrange things to make it more annoying for loyal customers in the hope of attracting a few new ones. THat's why I'm not fussed about Orion's development having ended several years ago, it means I can get on with my work without distraction.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

My digital workstation in 10 years will be in my room, as it is now...

As the commercial world moves to abos, I keep my 2013 Mac Pro and never update. That gives me the opportunity to learn the 90% unused features of my workstation. That plan also helps to fight the GAS...

Just joking... I will never have the time to learn all the features of my DAW of today...

come to think of it, i may never pay for another upgrade as long as Studio One 4 continues to work in whatever operating system I am on.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

In 10 years time there will be no Digital Audio Workstations. We will be making music with sticks and a stones again. Maybe a single string bow instrument and a skin-membrane drum.
We will dance by the fire and instead of complaining about running out of the CPU power to run yet another plugin, we will moan about who’s turn it is to go and fetch more wood for the fire.

Otherwise, in an alternative reality, everyone will run their DAW on one and the same Quantum computer, in the same way as we have local broadband relay stations which supply broadband to the whole street/borough/town/city, we will have acces to localised Quantum computers on which we have our accounts and all our CPU intensive music apps. All for £€$¥30 per month.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

And the actual DAW running on that Quantum computer will display all its GUI, the mixer, all plugins as 3D holographic items that we can manipulate by waving our hands in the air.

In 10 years there will be no music left in the world as every single recorded note will trigger a copyright takedown.

In fact there will be no DAWs with any holographic 3D plugins...what will happen, all DAWs will scease to exist as Spotify take over the market with a new development: by selecting a genre tag, mood, tempo tag, the instrumental-or-song tag, and then pressing the ‘play’ button, the new Spotify Ai algorithm will create a song for you on the spot, in real-time. Just for you. It will even pay you 0.0000001 pence/cents for the privilage of doing it. But then you would be paying £$30 per month for the subscription...

Nothing
Last edited by jacqueslacouth on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

pekbro wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 am In 10 years there will be no music left in the world as every single recorded note will trigger a copyright takedown.
It matters not as everyone will be so sick of everyone else’s music - of the whole of hummanity posting their songs online- that new laws will be passed barring everyone from uploading music anywhere. We will be making music just for our own pleasure and amusement, never sharing a single note with anyone else.

himalaya wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:59 am
pekbro wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 am In 10 years there will be no music left in the world as every single recorded note will trigger a copyright takedown.
It matters not as everyone will be so sick of everyone else’s music - of the whole of hummanity posting their songs online- that new laws will be passed barring everyone from uploading music anywhere. We will be making music just for our own pleasure and amusement, never sharing a single note with anyone else.
Sadly, you may be right :(
Fernando (FMR)

Along this idea, i found this particular part of this lecture interesting...the part connecting to this thread is at 1:52:32, the original question happens at 1:48:40:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_EhTIxsOMQ

over there >>>

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”