Where Will Digital Audio Workstations Be In 10 Years ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There'll surely be a decent amount of change in DAW's in 10 years from now. I doubt there'll be something revolutionary, though. There might be the one or the other company which tries something innovative, like Ableton, or Bitwig, or FL Studio, but... i think "classic" tape machine like DAW's like Cubase, Studio One, Logic and the likes will still be the main thing. I assume there'll be a much bigger move to cloud and online systems for music creating, track sharing, and loading of content, or online copy protections though. It's already very prominent now, and it will surely be even more prominent in a couple of years.

We will have software algorithms for all music genres that generate music on the fly in our "phones" and "radios" and whatever we use.
And no people need to make or produce music anymore, because of artificial intelligence learning new genrers by popularity
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

I am personally finding the movement in hardware devices like what Akai is doing with the MPC Live and Force very interesting. A move away from being tied to a computer and DAW and instead an all in one device that replaces it. It doesn't work for my personally as I need to be able to sit at a computer in order to focus and pay attention to one thing, but the fact that Akai are making the products seems to indicate they see something in the marketplace and see a demand for it.

So far I really liked what I saw when I tried out the MPC live, but found it still a little to bukly to be a portable DAW. Perhaps in 10 years it will be leaner and slimmer and more powerful.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

they won't so different as today, but available via browser and subscription, on any device. (hardware, phone, tablet, computer can all run the same daw/project with features enable depending on the device)

There's not much more to do other than the usual suspects mostly copying each other. Anything considered a big change will probably only happen in the electronic music arena, new or better ways to shape or organize loops or trigger things and other similar things.

As relates to putting up a bunch of mics and recording multiple sources, there's not much left to do except improving that workflow by copying some of the best parts of PT, Ardour and some others who focused in on that.

There's nothing left to "innovate" there with really except for the normal process of technology and scientific discovery eventually making things like Melodyne and Auto-Tune irrelevant, where some new tech will probably do all of that stuff with absolutely no artifacts at all at some point.. or just generate realistic human singing voices on the fly. (25 years?)

in 10 years we went from massive to serum, and from ableton 8 to ableton 10.

the gap was not so huge.

the world will be run by apes.

get your stinking paws off my daw you damn dirty ape :x

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 pm the world will be run by apes.

oook?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

So in ten years there will
Cubase 14
Studio One 8
Reaper 9
FL studio 24
and so on.
My feeling AI will be have an important roll near the end of the ten years.
Audio and midi AI generative will be implemented.
Tracks will have Izotope Iris type spectral editing and manipulation.

Sorry
edit Cubase
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

More like Cubase 15. ;)

^^^

Thanks
Corrected.

And FL Studio 30 (they want to change major version every year if I've undestood it correctly).

Insane... even with DAW's, there's versionitis.

I think AI should dominate. That way, no one will have to learn anything about music or how to play an instrument. Then we can just press a button and go back to the far more satisfying experience of watching funny videos on our phones.

The only prediction I'm comfortable with is that people will still debate which DAW is best. Oh, and Ableton 11.

vurt wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:25 pm the world will be run by apes.

You maniacs!… You blew it up!… Ah, damn you!…
God damn you all to hell!!

Sweet child in time...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”