Reason 10.3 is out ...and it's awesome!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:04 am
txl wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am
PeterP_swe wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:57 am I'd like an option in Reason to not embed all audio in the project file. I think this is the only DAW with that limitation.

It's fine if the project is mostly midi and maybe a vocal or two, but if you work mostly with audio and like to save revisions or alternative versions then you'll go through hard drives like crazy.
In Live, your regular project file (Live Set) is very small (hundredth KB). Your source audio files stay in the same place where you got it from. Doesn't export with your project. The only time your audio get export into your project folder is if you freeze your audio track to save cpu. It will be audible for playback but not editable until you unfreeze it.

Audio files will be save in Samples folder inside your project folder if you Collect All and Save. You do have the option to not include audio from factory default, your own library, elsewhere, etc...

Not sure if that's what you mean. As for saving one big file, Live can create Live Pack (.alp). I can see that as convenient for handing off your final project or sharing your project. I think folder structure project is fine as well and good grabbing samples, presets, midi, etc. without having to open up your DAW.
That's what he said - Reason is the only DAW that doesn't do this. Not sure why you're bringing Live up?
Sorry guys, my bad :dog: I misread the post. Some how, I thought he said Reason have the option to not embed audio into project and Reason is the only DAW that have this limitation (as in audio limitation to not embed audio).

That is odd that Reason doesn't have this feature. I only have Reason Demo so a lot the save/Optimize and Container setting are gray out. I am sure there a work around. Maybe bounce your audio files that you don't need editing anymore as rex files and have a sampler like Dr. Octo Rex write out note as midi. You will have to do them in stages as you progress through your project. Still a pain but that might save HD space.

chimp_spanner wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:18 pm It's worth mentioning you have two controls on the transport; alt and dub. The shortcuts for these are . and ,

Using these, you can create new lanes to record MIDI on, either as overdubs, or as alternate takes where the existing MIDI clip is muted. It's not quite what you're looking for as you have to press it manually but if you give yourself an extra bar on loop or something, that'd probably work. Maybe you could even remote map it to a button on your controller? Just an idea. Although yes, proper takes would be great!
Sorry, using Reason today it just dawned upon me that for some reason I didn't reply to you yet...
well, better late than never.

The giving "an extra bar or loop or something" unfortunately isn't of much use to me as I need the flow of a proper loop. I just want to quickly record some keyboard-line now and then and I need a few takes to get it right. I don't normally want to quantize or otherwise edit the MIDI afterwards (the odd correction here or there aside perhaps) and so the best workaround for me right away is to record to audio directly - which of course means I can'ttweak the instrument afterwards and it also eats up more diskspace.

Slip editing is also available (if I understand the term correctly) by entering comp mode and then clicking and dragging on the waveform to create an offset while keeping the audio event in time. I think you can adjust this from the status/info bar as well. Again not quite perfect and it'd be nice to do this from the arrange window but, it is almost possible!

No, unfortunately normal slip-editing is not available. It would mean I could extend the regions of takes, which is not possible since every take is treated by Reason as if it would be an individual file which has exactly the length of the loop it has been recorded to. So to just extend a clip I have to fiddle with multiple takes, which is a royal PITA. That is a real biggie for me - because I need this basic functionality all the time - and as with the MIDI take recording I can't think of any other DAW which doesn't have it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:53 pm every take is treated by Reason as if it would be an individual file which has exactly the length of the loop it has been recorded to.
Since the audio - which is another real bummer b.t.w. - is always embedded in the project-file I have no way to know, but perhaps the problem is exactly this i.e. that they indeed create a new individual file for each take - which would probably mean that it again is something they can't solve easily because it means having to change the underlying architecture.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:59 pm
jens wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:53 pm every take is treated by Reason as if it would be an individual file which has exactly the length of the loop it has been recorded to.
Since the audio - which is another real bummer b.t.w. - is always embedded in the project-file I have no way to know, but perhaps the problem is exactly this i.e. that they indeed create a new individual file for each take - which would probably mean that it again is something they can't solve easily because it means having to change the underlying architecture.
I know it doesn’t help in your situation, but I absolutely *LOVE* that all audio - well - everything- is embedded in 1 single file. Since Reason began recording audio (well, since Record 1.0), I’ve never lost anything related to a recording session due to failed storage drives or general housekeeping issues. I can’t say the same for my other DAW.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I usually find it convenient too - the user should have a choice though. A "drop audio-files in folder X"-button would suffice, I think - even though that would not solve the problem of it being impossible to edit the audio with an external editor.

I prefer the audio embedded, I did the same back with Cakewalk saving them to project files. Course, when I had to pull all my audio and export midi out of .cwp files if was a minor nightmare, and of course I transferred them to Reason project files because I like torture -- I'm fine with it though, the lesser of 2 evils.

If I had it my way, DAWs would benefit from a unified saving structure keeping audio and midi in a relative directory able to be read by any DAW just by pointing to that directory. Would be too easy to do, and make too much sense, hence never will happen.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:01 pm I prefer the audio embedded, I did the same back with Cakewalk saving them to project files. Course, when I had to pull all my audio and export midi out of .cwp files if was a minor nightmare, and of course I transferred them to Reason project files because I like torture -- I'm fine with it though, the lesser of 2 evils.

If I had it my way, DAWs would benefit from a unified saving structure keeping audio and midi in a relative directory able to be read by any DAW just by pointing to that directory. Would be too easy to do, and make too much sense, hence never will happen.
:lol:

Reason 10.4 / Reason 10.4 Intro / Reason 10.4 Lite Release Notes

Added Monotone Bass Synthesizer, a new bass synth device that's cross-compatible with Reason Compact
Added Rytmik Drum Machine, a new drum device that's cross-compatible with Reason Compact
Made a change on Windows to allow certain VST plugins incompatible with Reason 10.3 compatible again
Made a change on Windows to allow certain ASIO drivers incompatible with Reason 10.3 compatible again
Fixed a bug where the sustain pedal would no longer work with RPG-8
Fixed a bug where panning a signal completely right with a VST effect could cause the signal to cut out
Fixed a bug on Windows where CV inputs on the Combinator would not behave as expected

https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... ynthesizer
https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reaso ... um-machine

Isn't that the case with every DAW, though?

Once you've finished your comping simply choose Delete Unused Recordings from the context menu and all parts of takes that are not in final composite audio will be removed from the song file.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:05 pm
What is the case with every DAW?

No real slip-editing?

No, not at all - that is a very unusual shortcoming in Reason

Or did you mean the Audio being embedded in the project-file?

No, not at all - that is a very unusual shortcoming in Reason.

Once you've finished your comping simply choose Delete Unused Recordings from the context menu and all parts of takes that are not in final composite audio will be removed from the song file
This is completely unrelated to what I wrote - except that they way they word it hints at me being right in my assumption that they already record each take as a seperate file i.e. it already goes wrong during the recording stage.

jens wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:52 am
antic604 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 5:05 pm
What is the case with every DAW?

No real slip-editing?

No, not at all - that is a very unusual shortcoming in Reason

Or did you mean the Audio being embedded in the project-file?

No, not at all - that is a very unusual shortcoming in Reason.

Once you've finished your comping simply choose Delete Unused Recordings from the context menu and all parts of takes that are not in final composite audio will be removed from the song file
This is completely unrelated to what I wrote - except that they way they word it hints at me being right in my assumption that they already record each take as a seperate file i.e. it already goes wrong during the recording stage.

Perhaps I misunderstood but you said:

"...they indeed create a new individual file for each take..."

which obviously is the case for every DAW, as each take is supposed to sound slightly different, so it has to be in separate audio sample (file). The "problem" is Reason puts those separate audio samples into one project file. However, and this is about the second quote, you can get rid of unused takes by using the option I mentioned after you've comped your takes.

There's nothing about slip-edit in quote I referred to, so I've no idea where this came from?
Music tech enthusiast

double post
Last edited by jens on Fri May 24, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am

which obviously is the case for every DAW, as each take is supposed to sound slightly different, so it has to be in separate audio sample (file).
No offense, but you aren't ever doing any audio-recordings yourself, do you? :lol:

You are completely mistaken.

Whether each take "is supposed to sound slightly different" is completely irrelevant. The DAW is entirely oblivious to the content of the recording. It could be 20 totally different takes (say an improvised guitar solo) or it could be 20 the exact same content (say a test-tone blaring out of a speaker and into a fixated mic). This has no relevance.

It is completely unrelated to the fact that DAWs usually record ONE long file for ALL takes that are part of the SAME recording. The "takes" are independent regions within the same file. As such their borders are usually editable. This is normally called "slip-editing" (which is why I called it like this earlier in this thread - as this term is used almost uniformly across DAWs ranging from Pro Tools to Tracktion, people usually know what it means) . Basically every DAW out there can do that - except Reason that is (at least I am not ware of any other that has this sort of weird and highly cumbersome restriction) .
Last edited by jens on Fri May 24, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am There's nothing about slip-edit in quote I referred to, so I've no idea where this came from?
No, but it is in the post which the post you quoted referred to i.e. one post above it - it's in the context of what you quoted - like totally. Without this context the post of mine you quoted has no meaning. ;-)

jens wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:13 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am

which obviously is the case for every DAW, as each take is supposed to sound slightly different, so it has to be in separate audio sample (file).
No offense, but you aren't ever doing any audio-recordings yourself, do you? :lol:

You are completely mistaken.

Whether each take "is supposed to sound slightly different" is completely irrelevant. The DAW is entirely oblivious to the content of the recording. It could be 20 totally different takes (say an improvised guitar solo) or it could be 20 the exact same content (say a test-tone blaring out of a speaker and into a fixated mic). This has no relevance.

It is completely unrelated to the fact that DAWs usually record ONE long file for ALL takes that are part of the SAME recording. The "takes" are independent regions within the same file. As such their borders are usually editable. This is normally called "slip-editing" (which is why I called it like this earlier in this thread - as this term is used almost uniformly across DAWs ranging from Pro Tools to Tracktion, people usually know what it means) . Basically every DAW out there can do that - except Reason that this (at least I am not ware of any other that has this sort of weird and highly cumbersome restriction) .
I'm only mistaken in the fact that I thought your complaint was you don't know how to reduce project file's size once you've comped your recording. Whether given DAW saves takes as a single continuous file or as separate logical files is just a technicality and doesn't imply possibility of slip-edit existing or not. It's not a physical tape recorder, you can "glue" separate regions of memory/HDD together to look like continuous "file". It's just that Props' vision for comping was different to what you prefer.
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”