Cubase Pro 10 What can I use from it in other DAWs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And again, this is with a Nuendo license, when I tested that. (Only out of curiosity, and I was curious about like two, maybe three patches I might use. But it's such squalor I deleted everything. I've never used Steinberg's instruments.)
On the dongle.

couple things about retrologue and padshop:

1. Retrologue isn't anything awfully special. It has PWM, it has osc sync and it's decent as a cookiecutter subtractive synth with 3 oscs + 1 sub osc. Have one already? I say don't bother with retrologue. It's good at what it does, but there's so much else out there that does the same and it's not worth the price of Cubase if you're just interested in content that is behind it rather than the DAW itself. Retrologue in particular doesn't offer any super-fancy features like say, Serum does with its filter section.

2. Padshop Pro isn't the same as Padshop. Back when I bought Cubase (things might have changed now), you had to purchase Padshop Pro license separately for like, 20-25€? It unlocks custom sample import option for Padshop and I think it allows you to use it in other daws.

But as for Padshop Pro itself, it's closer to a wavetable synth than a granular synth in terms of what kind of results you usually get with it. It sometimes feels like they designed the thing to basically do somewhat what wavetable synths do but without being a wavetable synth in itself. Sure, it all depends on what kind of material you feed it. But if you want actually interesting granular synth, you probably want to look elsewhere for one. For example, if you happen to use Ableton, it has Granulator II M4L module which I guess is sort of like a holy grail of granulators. There's even a pay-what-you-want Ribs which seems to be high up there but haven't had much experience with it either because it's wonky with Cubase.

As for Halion or Halion Sonic, I can't speak much for those since I practically never use them. I mean, I don't even have Halion license, but I do have Halion Sonic SE; I just always remove the content

Sample Fuel https://www.samplefuel.com/ make some versatile instruments for Halion Sonic SE, including some nice freebies.

Does Halion sonic SE come with the classic Yamaha Motif libraries?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I doubt it.
Gospel Musicians has quite a bit of the old Yamaha stuff ported to vsts.

HALion Sonic SE comes with nothing, just the player. Really, no content whatsoever. It's sole purpose is to encourage 3rd parties to release libraries for its big brother.

Padshop, Retrologue and Halion Sonic SE work for me in other DAW's, both in VST2 and VST3 format. I remember I had to copy the DLL files for Padshop and Retrologue to my VST2 folder to make them work in VST2 only hosts (Ableton Live 10.0.6, Komplete Kontrol, Maschine).
For Halion Sonic SE I installed the standalone version, which is free. It then automatically detected all content that came with Cubase.

Edit: For Padshop and Retrologue I copied the DLL's from C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins to my VST2 folder.

Googly Smythe wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:42 am HALion Sonic SE comes with nothing, just the player. Really, no content whatsoever. It's sole purpose is to encourage 3rd parties to release libraries for its big brother.
As Reefius says, you have to install the standalone version of Halion Sonic SE to use it in other DAWs - it will detect and work with the content bundled with Cubase. It is important to note, however, that there is much less content supplied with Cubase Pro or Nuendo than with a paid for version of Halion Sonic or Halion.

David W wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:03 pm
Googly Smythe wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:42 am HALion Sonic SE comes with nothing, just the player. Really, no content whatsoever. It's sole purpose is to encourage 3rd parties to release libraries for its big brother.
As Reefius says, you have to install the standalone version of Halion Sonic SE to use it in other DAWs - it will detect and work with the content bundled with Cubase. It is important to note, however, that there is much less content supplied with Cubase Pro or Nuendo than with a paid for version of Halion Sonic or Halion.
Cubase is 30+ gigs. I thought the majority of this was Halion SE sample content?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:45 pm
Cubase is 30+ gigs. I thought the majority of this was Halion SE sample content?
Yup. That's one of the reasons I am holding back. I don't what to install 30 gig of stuff I will seldom use.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Don't forget the 20 plus individual installations that will end up your system as well (and which you'll have to uninstall individually, if you want to uninstall Cubase). :D You know, nothing against Cubase, but, that was very annoying for me.

Actually for them to 'end up' on your system you've installed them. Unless windows is radically different in this regard, the installer will have an arrow to reveal all the content to install. I install almost none of it now.

I found that the installation of the Halion stuff this way is major squalor, redundancy in three locations, stupid locations like Halion VST Sound inside of Halion inside of VST Sound, like someone with a big cocaine problem created the installer.
custom install.png
With everything checked, the installation is 27.31GB!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

v1o wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 10:45 pm
What I was trying to say was that the HALion SE download on it's own has no content. The content comes from somewhere else - HALion/Sonic, Cubase or 3rd parties such as SampleFuel &tc.

Cubase here, itself is 865 MB. You see there, HSSE is some 4GB, Loops & other crap is 15.54.

Cubase is a fantastic DAW - really. But all these additional
VSTis and sample-loops are annoying. I see these as
"useless bothersome bloatware".
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”