Studio One Pro 4.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

Passing Bye wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:08 am Also, those "best" records seen quite a few DAW's, beatmakerz, producers and engineers, FL if used was by those starting beatmakerz or "producers", than quite a few writers&composers took over and did rest of the hooks, music and lyrics, than tracking, mixing and mastering engineer did theirs, so no, those records are barely composed in FL, they are sketched in it on an laptop probably with pencil tool on the move.

I'm not slamming S1, it's quite capable DAW for more than trap beats and it's hard to satisfy everyone, it's powerful DAW for every process and made to be staple of studio, for all things that goes into process, just like older DAW's it looks up to, it's quite amazing what it become and hope it will grow in every direction to leave plenty of competition in dust.
As for right now for Trap? No, FL is it. Then mixing done in Pro Tools of course in the pro world (as for urban music). It's just how it is right now.

It's great direction for an young company to try to satisfy more advanced users, of course one DAW can't be everything for everyone, but being studio staple is the way to go, S1 is there among big boys and it's quite big what they achieved, with input of community it can achieve even more, it's quite valuable to recognize different opinions and not be stuck in "I don't need half of that for EDM", being EDM DAW isn't an achievement, but replacing Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic and etc. in some serious studios and in the same time offering creative people enough to stay with it, actually is and they are doing fine job IMO.

Keep up the good work team Presonus!

beatmangler443 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:50 am
Passing Bye wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:47 am Yes, because pencil in drum hits and 808 to follow it is playing an instrument.
Trying to find reason to discredit that they are winning currently?
No, I'm actually happy about it and it gives me hope for the better future, because it opened the gates and leveled the playing field, changed a game a little, now we just need to get in some balance again, amazing times really, everyone had their go at the trend and soon is another new thing, only the best will survive and ones that have to offer more than trap beats, I'm personally not threatened, remember when dubstep was huge, it was same gimmick as trap, people got sick and embarrassed and moved on.

Passing Bye wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:11 am Pencil in notes for trap beats and composing actual music are two different worlds.
jens wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:40 am Yes, because editing MIDI and composing actual music are two different worlds.
Passing Bye wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:47 am Yes, because pencil in drum hits and 808 to follow it is playing an instrument.
Huh? Your reply doesn't seem to make any sense or to have any coherence whatsoever in the given context?

Could you perhaps explain what the "yes" refers to and what the "pencil in drum hits" refers to i.e. who were you replying to?

Since you are not quoting anyone else it appears as if you attempt to reply to me yet your post in no way and with no word answers mine at all. :? :?:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Sorry, haven't slept in a while, that doesn't really make much sense, you are right, sorry for that.

Okay, no problem at all - I was just confused.

To either way explain better what I meant: musical composition in itself is something that is completely independent of using a certain set of tools, be they certain computer programs, musical instruments, a sheet of paper and a pencil or any other items. Any combination of items or none at all can be used for it. Therefor the tools you use basically say nothing about your actual composition.

Get some rest!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Agree, guess I failed and went over the top a little with my response, was trying (and failing) to say that folks who do more than penciling in few bits have quite an demand for the whole thing.

Will get some rest for sure, thanks man! :hug:

After Beethoven became profoundly deaf he composed in his head.

Most composers (even Mozart) needed some form of instrument to noodle away upon.

Imagine scoring for an orchestra using just ones imagination.

I strongly suspect therefore that the tools in Studio One should just about suffice for composition purposes. :)

Passing Bye wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:06 am
beatmangler443 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:50 am
Trying to find reason to discredit that they are winning currently?
No, I'm actually happy about it and it gives me hope for the better future, because it opened the gates and leveled the playing field, changed a game a little, now we just need to get in some balance again, amazing times really, everyone had their go at the trend and soon is another new thing, only the best will survive and ones that have to offer more than trap beats, I'm personally not threatened, remember when dubstep was huge, it was same gimmick as trap, people got sick and embarrassed and moved on.
Trap/Hip Hop/Boom Bap whatever is not going anywhere. It's not about being threatened, you will have to adapt to what the market wants or get left behind. I'm assuming your an old school musician who has set ways from 10 years ago and think what works then works now. IMO it's the artist who wears many hats. You songwrite/produce etc. You got that 20 year old artist who can play a little bit, but also likes finger drumming and can plug in notes via the piano roll. He might not be the best theory wise or at playing at instruments, but the end result his music is good. Presonus came out with Atom? Kinda catching up to whats the NOW and what users for this generation are looking for. Which means easy software, not to complicated, hardware integrated.

dellboy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:28 am After Beethoven became profoundly deaf he composed in his head.

Most composers (even Mozart) needed some form of instrument to noodle away upon.

I strongly suspect therefore that the tools in Studio One should just about suffice for composition purposes. :)
The big difference is being able to play what you compose and record it live with all the emotion intact.

There is no need to change velocities, add swing or try and humanize it, to make it convincing.

rmacattack wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:18 pm Trap/Hip Hop/Boom Bap whatever is not going anywhere.
Meant from mainstream, hip hop is there to stay for sure, boom bap style went out of mainstream already and have separate life of it's own and trap is in right now, but it will fade away and continue his own life away from mainstream, maybe it will come back in some other shape or it will just leave some mark for next thing, we will see.
It's not about being threatened, you will have to adapt to what the market wants or get left behind.
I'm really not discrediting their success, it's their moment in time to shine and I'm happy there's place for them and everyone in mainstream, actually mainstream is so diverse right now that I don't feel there's big urge to jump on current mumble trap bandwagon, it will go out of style or take some other interesting shape so majority of one trick ponies will not keep up with the times, I or anyone else shouldn't be threatened by anyone who only knows how to pencil in a trap beat, 808 and arp, market always want something fresh and we live in great times where you have so many diverse music charting next to each other, so much ethnic influences, it just goes in and out, takes new shape, who would taught reggaeton will get so big or Caribbean sound, who know what's next, Balkans, maybe India again, who knows what shape and time signatures will be in again, you need to be really competent to keep up and step in, only the strong will survive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fij9-suqRg
Last edited by Passing Bye on Mon May 27, 2019 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ictools wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:49 pm
dellboy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 9:28 am After Beethoven became profoundly deaf he composed in his head.

The big difference is being able to play what you compose and record it live with all the emotion intact.

There is no need to change velocities, add swing or try and humanize it, to make it convincing.
Sheet music is just an inaccurate form of MIDI :P Lots of emotion that the original composer intended to put in the piece can get lost or interpreted differently by the performer during the transition from composer-sheet-performer. When someone draws in the velocities, swing, note offsets etc. by hand in a DAW, all the emotion remains intact.

Yeah, that sounds pretty silly too. The issue is that "emotion" isn't a quality, it's a response. So whether a song is "emotional" or not is up to the listener. It's possible the composer felt a certain emotion while composing the song, while a listener experiences a completely different emotion (or none at all).
Last edited by AdvancedFollower on Mon May 27, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ictools wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Beethoven, Mozart etc. certainly could NOT NEARLY play everything they composed so I am entirely clueless as to what your point may be. :shrug:

jens wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:08 pm

Beethoven, Mozart etc. certainly could NOT NEARLY play everything they composed so I am entirely clueless as to what your point may be. :shrug:
I am not certain what your point about my point is ?

Could Mozart play the keyboard exceedingly well ? - yes

As could Beethoven.

Obviously they could not play all the parts of the orchestra at once but they could hear the instruments being played in their head and notate it for a full orchestra.

A skillful composer can at first hear the music in their mind and then play it on their chosen instrument. Paul McCartney has said that he sometimes dreamed a song and awoke to write it down. Seems pretty basic to me. :)

To put it simply, those who can't play an instrument find ways to mimic those who can.

Trying to convince people that a computer is a human is the never ending quest to avoid learning how.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”