Studio One Pro 4.5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

ictools wrote: Obviously they could not play all the parts of the orchestra at once but they could hear the instruments being played in their head and notate it for a full orchestra.
ictools wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:51 pm To put it simply, those who can't play an instrument find ways to mimic those who can.

Trying to convince people that a computer is a human is the never ending quest to avoid learning how.

You are not making any sense at all. There is no systematic difference between composing for a real orchestral instrument you can't play and composing for a MIDI controlled orchestral instrument you can't play - so again: what on earth is your point?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:11 pm
ictools wrote: Obviously they could not play all the parts of the orchestra at once but they could hear the instruments being played in their head and notate it for a full orchestra.
ictools wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:51 pm To put it simply, those who can't play an instrument find ways to mimic those who can.

Trying to convince people that a computer is a human is the never ending quest to avoid learning how.

You are not making any sense at all. There is no systematic difference between composing for a real orchestral instrument you can't play and composing for a MIDI controlled orchestral instrument you can't play - so again: what on earth is your point?

First off, you don't know how to properly quote people.

dellboy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 3:27 pm Obviously they could not play all the parts of the orchestra at once but they could hear the instruments being played in their head and notate it for a full orchestra.

Feelings and emotions can't be taught or programmed, they are experienced. So it only makes sense that you don't understand what I'm trying to explain.

ictools wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:24 pm First off, you don't know how to properly quote people.
I do - what are you on about? ;-)
ictools wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:24 pm Feelings and emotions can't be taught or programmed, they are experienced. So it only makes sense that you don't understand what I'm trying to explain.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What???

There is a link in my signature that leads to a page where you can listen to several pieces of music I composed where I played and recorded - drums aside - every instrument that's being used as audio files (so no MIDI for the keyboards). Not that I think I am very skilled or even virtuous but I DO play several different instruments myself and use them to compose and perform music - which I bet is a whole lot more that you can say of yourself.

Why do I think that? Your low self-esteem becomes apparent in the way you attempt to belittle others. Meanwhile you are just some anonymous nobody on the internet. Much like the poor sod who uses photoshop to brag about his imaginary girl-friend on instagram or somewhere.

It's funny how you automatically assumed I would program my own music just because I defended those who do. Too bad for you that you were completely wrong. :razz:

Where's your music? What instruments do you play yourself? Show us some recordings of yours.
Last edited by jens on Mon May 27, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:11 pm

In the context of the thread there were suggestions that Studio One lacked certain tools, mainly in the midi domain. Comparisons were made with Fruity Loops. I merely pointed out that Studio One had enough tools to compose music with, that's all.

Oh, now I see what that guy meant about the wrong quote - for some reason I thought HE wrote that and somehow I had messed up the quote so I "fixed" it manually... :oops:

There's never enough tools. Depending on your own artistic vision there might be tools that make it much easier for you to achieve that vision. If there are competing products which have these tools you miss it's just normal to voice how much you miss them and how their absence is hindering you in your creative process.
So it really all depends on your own artistic vision which might be completely different to that of your neighbour. Since I personally prefer a real sting-machine (lack of velocity sensitivity and all) over virtual high-quality sampled strings I have no need for these MIDI tools at all - but I can see how this could be totally different if I instead would prefer to simulate a real orchestra as closely as possible because that's totally what I have in mind. There's no right or wrong; no better or weaker - your personal choice of the set of tools you use (which btw. might completely change over time) says nothing about your artistic integrity. And the only person who can really evaluate your own artistic integrity are you yourself anyway. Only you really know what you want to express and how you want to express it and why.
But I think very important traits are modesty and even humility. Use your energy to try to improve your own ability to follow your own artistic vision instead of trying to put down others in an attempt to elevate yourself.

jens wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:39 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What???

There is a link in my signature that leads to a page where you can listen to several pieces of music I composed where I played and recorded - drums aside - every instrument that's being used as audio files (so no MIDI for the keyboards). Not that I think I am very skilled or even virtuous but I DO play several different instruments myself and use them to compose and perform music - which I bet is a whole lot more that you can say of yourself.

Why do I think that? Your low self-esteem becomes apparent in the way you attempt to belittle others. Meanwhile you are just some anonymous nobody on the internet. Much like the poor sod who uses photoshop to brag about his imaginary girl-friend on instagram or somewhere.

It's funny how you automatically assumed I would program my own music just because I defended those who do. Too bad for you that you were completely wrong. :razz:

Where's your music? What instruments do you play yourself? Show us some recordings of yours.
There's a big difference between playing with emotion and the listener experiencing it, and triggering emotions that already exist in the listener by simulating a performance. They mimic the way humans play instruments and convey music through emotion and feelings.

Try not sitting behind a computer typing away and systematically arranging things to sound convincing. There's a big difference, but maybe the average listener can't hear it or isn't experienced enough to tell the difference.

Do a test, record a full orchestra live, then play a midi keyboard for all the parts and edit it, and finally paint the midi parts in with all the velocity, swing or whatever "tools" you need to humanize it. Tell me if you can hear the differences?

Of course you can hear the difference - one is a machine attempting to simulate what normally human beings are doing (with all their typical inaccuracies) the other is the real deal itself. The tools - and that's the point - help you to improve this emulation and with that decrease the audible differences between both. As I mentioned it says nothing about your skills as a composer and your artistic integrity. if you had access to a full real orchestra then why would you use a computer instead to emulate it?

B.t.w.: for film-composers it's normal to sketch out their ideas using sample-libraries. Once they commit to a certain composition they will (ideally, depending on their budget) then use a real orchestra to perform and record it, i.e. its often the same people nowadays who use sample-libraries and compose for real orchestras - as such both are actually two sides of the same coin. If Mozart and Beethoven lived today they would probably use computers too to skecth out their ideas because it's just so helpful and convenient. And if they used Studio One then they would perhaps complain about the lack of certain tools.

jens wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:19 pm B.t.w.: for film-composers it's normal to sketch out their ideas using sample-libraries. Once they commit to a certain composition they will (ideally, depending on their budget) then use a real orchestra to perform and record it,...
Productions with that sort of budget are increasingly rare. The vast majority of work is done with sample libraries today. It is only the Hans Zimmer's of the world who can go for a real orchestra.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:23 pm
jens wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:19 pm B.t.w.: for film-composers it's normal to sketch out their ideas using sample-libraries. Once they commit to a certain composition they will (ideally, depending on their budget) then use a real orchestra to perform and record it,...
Productions with that sort of budget are increasingly rare. The vast majority of work is done with sample libraries today. It is only the Hans Zimmer's of the world who can go for a real orchestra.

The problem is people thinking they are the same beast.

Here you are again with your entirely unfounded sense of superiority. :shrug:

jens wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:34 pm Here you are again with your entirely unfounded sense of superiority. :shrug:
I'm leaning more towards your failure to accept the facts as simply being demonstrated in 15 pages.

What facts? You couldn't tell facts from your own bizarre prejudices if they knocked you down with a sledgehammer. :lol:

That's why a lot of popular music is backing music, that helps support the vocals, which carry the emotion and feeling. The vibe of a song can be captured like lightning in a bottle. If you are trying to compare manufacturing those types of vibes to organic creations, you've been mislead.

*yawn*

jens wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:06 pm*yawn*
Why love music so much if you don't have enough interest in actually learning how to play it?

Even if you'll never be Bach, or whoever, doesn't mean you can't play too, so what's stopping you?

There's a topic, care to discuss? If not, have a good day.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”