What's the one feature your DAW has, found in no other, that you wouldn't want to live without?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
jonljacobi
KVRian
1427 posts since 16 Jan, 2013 from USA

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:43 am

I actually started this in the hope that I can find out about features that I'm not even aware of, as well as discover if things that I think are unique, really aren't. If it's a methodology, please make sure it's truly a one-off or particular stroke of genius.

Starting things off, I'm going with Logic and its Drummer's ability to "follow" other tracks and play something that's actually relevant. I've never seen anything else do this, which, as I said, just means it's unique in my experience.

jancivil
KVRAF
19406 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Re: What's the one feature your DAW has, found in no other, that you wouldn't want to live without?

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 am

Time Warp in Cubendo

1) I want the tempo to be established by my music, so I'm in linear mode and use the regular Time Warp, now I determine where the barlines are hence the tempi. And beats inside the bar.
2) Then, in bars 'n beats all tracks in musical mode can be adjusted to create ebb and flow of tempo via Time Warp (Musical Events Follow). I mean here that changing one node does this for the time between that and the next node.
Method here is go to Tempo Track, select the node or nodes and change the tempo. Very specific control.

Additionally I wouldn't want to go back to versions before they provided the Project Logical Editor preset 'Toggle Time Domain'.
I may be locatable @:
FB - Public

Yorrrrrr
KVRian
874 posts since 25 Sep, 2011 from Cartagena - Colombia

Re: What's the one feature your DAW has, found in no other, that you wouldn't want to live without?

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:06 pm

Live’s capture MIDI (though I think FL Studio also has it and maybe other DAWs)

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:29 pm

technically the concept I described is not 'found in no other' but the workflow may be. One of the others is windows-only, another is bloody reaper and it's an extension.
I may be locatable @:
FB - Public

jeffb01
KVRian
896 posts since 18 Apr, 2006

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 pm

Bitwig: being able to add LFO's and envelopes to anything. Like I can take Nemesis for the osc, wow2 for the filter, and any effect I want and make it into one synth with a unified modulation system. Also if I have a synth and I wish it had another envelope or LFO - well it does now.

macmuse
KVRist
496 posts since 23 Jun, 2004

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:41 pm

RE the Time Warp/Jan's post: Not to go off track here but in the vein of "finding out about features that I'm not even aware of" as the OP stated:

If a MIDI track is recorded freestyle without metronome in Cubase, and you later want to line the notes up properly with bars and beats the way you intended them to be if you had been using a metronome (not creating multiple tempos), is there a feature that can do that, or would you have to move them yourself?

Now for a feature: In Cubase you can drag a MIDI region out of the project and directly to a folder on your hard drive. The DAW that came closest to that was S1 but you had to drag it to S1's browser window > your file hierarchy.

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:52 pm

macmuse wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:41 pm
RE the Time Warp/Jan's post: Not to go off track here but in the vein of "finding out about features that I'm not even aware of" as the OP stated:

If a MIDI track is recorded freestyle without metronome in Cubase, and you later want to line the notes up properly with bars and beats the way you intended them to be if you had been using a metronome (not creating multiple tempos), is there a feature that can do that, or would you have to move them yourself? Here everything is already well-established but I'm adjusting the timeline a little more precisely (actually there was no node there but it was close enuff for rock 'n roll).
First you consider where 1 is for a barline in the material, audio or MIDI and you drag the timeline to that point and a 'BPM' is created. Not the notes, that's the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MpKUcac3Ck

The way I intend them, the metronome follows, I don't choose metronome/BPMs abstractly, or guess. I'm not terribly good at the guessing. Studio One 4 has this type in the project window where the tracks remain but you've changed timeline, I can't speak to it usage-wise.
I may be locatable @:
FB - Public

jancivil
KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:08 pm

It's an eye-opener, take any steady beat rock track (the tutorial I saw back in the day was a Pretenders song) and get the lines as on top of the beats as you can and you tend to find several BPMs in a single bar. Living, breathing music does not do clockwork.
actual tempo.jpg
there 3 & 4 is that much faster than 1 & 2. which is not unusual.
(I just now did those internal beats)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I may be locatable @:
FB - Public

kevvvvv
vvvvvvv
2437 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from skelmersdale, west lancs, uk

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 pm

Hardware controllers that work :D
Member 12, Studio One 4, Avenger 1.5 + 14 xps, Dune 3, XLN Audio XO, Pigments, Arturia 6, Atom & Impact XT, Izotope Neutron & Ozone, Valhalla, Spire, Sasquatch Kick 2, Mongoose, Panagement

neverbeeninariot
KVRist
312 posts since 3 Feb, 2015 from UK

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:20 pm

Access to the API via the Lua scripting language. (bloody Reaper again..). But, it makes all kinds of funky shit possible, like this - https://github.com/RobU23/ReaScripts/wi ... Ex-Machina (Randomiser, Sequencer, Euclid).

telecharge
KVRist
450 posts since 22 Feb, 2014

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Channel strips in DAWs are common, but Cakewalk's ProChannel implementation and included effects are unique to me. Cakewalk's "Quick Grouping" feature is also quite handy.

reggie1979
KVRAF
1902 posts since 26 Nov, 2018

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:27 pm

kevvvvv wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 pm
Hardware controllers that work :D
Amen, though my Nektar has been mostly superb. But most others, no.

Audio Voltage
KVRist
48 posts since 21 Jun, 2019

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:34 pm

Abletons way to randomize almost any parameter with M4L. I think this is still unique in the DAW world.

cantaloupe
KVRist
66 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:55 pm

Loading FX from the keyboard: Key modifier + C for compressor, E for EQ, R for reverb, B for bitcrush etc. In addition to open and closing FX windows on a selected track from the keyboard.

I would not like to go back to browsing menus and lists and clicking around with a mouse to add/open/close FX again.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
19505 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:00 pm

jancivil wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:34 am
Time Warp in Cubendo
That's not a Cubendo-only feature, though? :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”