Bitwig Studio 3 gets 10 out of 10 from MusicTech Review

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Bitwig is a typical DAW. It has its strong points, is specialized for a workflow, has a lot of stuff other DAW's don't have, and lacks a lot other DAW's do have. You know, i bet, if i had 6 DAW's installed, i would bitch at every single one of them about how it doesn't have some features one of the others does have.

Probably would end up like that hibidy guy then. :D

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:11 am

Reaktor and Max for Live are both far more powerful than Bitwig's Grid. But the thing is, having had both of those for years, I never once made anything in them. Way too complicated. Without a manual or any help, I was making interesting stuff with Bitwig's Grid in the first hour and not needing a huge mass of wires either.

I have only owned Komplete for a week, so I will have a go with Reaktor and see if I can build anything without consulting the manual.

I found the grid super easy peasy to use.

Something I would like in the grid (which is probably not possible) - would be auto cabling to a close module. And if that is not possible,then for modules to auto distance themselves from each other to help quick cabling.

dellboy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:00 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:11 am

Reaktor and Max for Live are both far more powerful than Bitwig's Grid. But the thing is, having had both of those for years, I never once made anything in them. Way too complicated. Without a manual or any help, I was making interesting stuff with Bitwig's Grid in the first hour and not needing a huge mass of wires either.

I have only owned Komplete for a week, so I will have a go with Reaktor and see if I can build anything without consulting the manual.

I found the grid super easy peasy to use.

Something I would like in the grid (which is probably not possible) - would be auto cabling to a close module. And if that is not possible,then for modules to auto distance themselves from each other to help quick cabling.
It has auto-cabling. Drag a module in, say a filter, and drop it on the Osc output and it will auto-wire.

If you have an Osc going to a filter, you can drag another Osc along with a key command and drop it on the filter input the first Osc is connected to and it will automatically add a mixer so that both Osc's are going to the filter.

If you want to replace one filter with another, just drop the new filter onto the existing one and it will replace it with wires intact and even the same cutoff/res settings...

dellboy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:40 am
SLiC wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:43 pm
Glad Cubase is working for you, I have been using it for 15 years, I find Bitwig far more interesting currently, but I only do this for fun, I use what puts a smile on my face, and that isn’t Cubase anymore.
You have summed it up nicely.

Bitwig is a fun DAW.

But I see you still own Cubase 10 if you ever decide to get serious. :hihi:
Yup, I also own Live 9 suite, Studio One, MPC 2, Maschine, VCV rack etc etc...they all have uses and all excel at something....but as I ‘currently’ spend most of my time with Eurorack (cv stuff) and midi hardware I have been using Bitwig mainly (often as a slave to my elektron set up as an Uber octotrack and Eurorack conduit via some ADAT to ES3s. Bitwig currently does this best, and it is quite a serious set up only limited by my lack of talent!....but when I am recording bands or singer songwriters (I an actually a guitarist!) I actually use Studio One...Cubase is also very good, I just prefer Studio One.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:36 pm ..but when I am recording bands or singer songwriters (I an actually a guitarist!) I actually use Studio One...Cubase is also very good, I just prefer Studio One.
I have Cubase 10 and Studio One Pro 4. I bought them both with the idea of selling one of them once I have made my mind up which is best. At the moment Cubase is winning, but last week it was Studio One. Meanwhile Bitwig keeps pestering me to buy it. I think I have the power to resist :hihi:

Creating music and finishing songs becomes easier the more you learn and practice your musicianship and music theory. Having to rely on the host application, plugins, effects, chord progression makers, borrowed midi files and a long list of other things like presets, loops and any other "inspirational" devices (vices, crutches) only limits your progression in finding your own true voice and stamp on creativity. There are plenty of copycats out there, it's the easiest thing to do. Using someone else's ideas, energy and efforts and then remixing, editing and morphing them into something else.

That's not to say that these things can't be used to further your education and experience, so one day you are able to perform and create on the spot through talent and improvisation stemming from your own creativity. While capturing that lightning in the bottle.

Bitwig is a creative playground that allows for the invention and evolution of what's been done before. Just look at it's features and work flow, it's easy to see that it's designed to be played with, tinker about and create something new and interesting.

Music creation should be fun not a tedious technical battle with complexities that break the creative flow.

nostalgic wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:34 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:53 am
Why do you think the other players are playing catch -up , apart from ableton ?
Bitwig is leading in innovation and technological advancement, touchscreen, resizing, modular, routing, sound design, clip launch and linear abilities together, live and performance usage, good cpu performance, stable code, beautiful GUI, included effects and macro abilities, price for value and leading team for design and operations.

I can't see as much growth potential in any of the other competitors, except more of the same. Bitwig was built from the ground up to be expansive and evolving. The rest are stuck in 1990's code and the old school ways of doing things. And still rely on 3rd party help...
You must work in marketing. :lol:

CPU consumption is one of the things you sacrifice with Bitwig, Live, Reason, and MPC software. It's nothing to brag about, DP, Logic, Reaper and Cubase trounce Bitwig CPU wise, a nearly 40% savings in CPU.

Is Bitwig's modular stuff using less resources than Reaktor? I like Blocks and many ensembles, but saving Reaktor stuff every time for unique project is a waste of disk space, imo.

No, it’s really CPU hungry - IMO Bitwig should optimise it

anomandaris1 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:38 pm Is Bitwig's modular stuff using less resources than Reaktor? I like Blocks and many ensembles, but saving Reaktor stuff every time for unique project is a waste of disk space, imo.
Yes... it is using considerably less resources. A typical Grid preset is tiny in size.

Reaktor Blocks is saving all the actual modules with each preset so it takes up a lot of disk space. The newer Reaktor Racks reference the modules so the file is small... but you lose a lot of user Blocks and some of what was free costs extra.

nostalgic wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:13 pm Creating music and finishing songs becomes easier the more you learn and practice your musicianship and music theory. Having to rely on the host application, plugins, effects, chord progression makers, borrowed midi files and a long list of other things like presets, loops and any other "inspirational" devices (vices, crutches) only limits your progression in finding your own true voice and stamp on creativity. There are plenty of copycats out there, it's the easiest thing to do. Using someone else's ideas, energy and efforts and then remixing, editing and morphing them into something else.

That's not to say that these things can't be used to further your education and experience, so one day you are able to perform and create on the spot through talent and improvisation stemming from your own creativity. While capturing that lightning in the bottle.

Bitwig is a creative playground that allows for the invention and evolution of what's been done before. Just look at it's features and work flow, it's easy to see that it's designed to be played with, tinker about and create something new and interesting.

Music creation should be fun not a tedious technical battle with complexities that break the creative flow.
+100
We are more than spoiled.

0degree wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:05 pm No, it’s really CPU hungry - IMO Bitwig should optimise it
I'm able to run even the most complex presets on my 1.2Ghz i5 2013 MacBook Air 11". It is light, imo.

anomandaris1 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:38 pm Is Bitwig's modular stuff using less resources than Reaktor? I like Blocks and many ensembles, but saving Reaktor stuff every time for unique project is a waste of disk space, imo.
it is less resource intensive, imo. it is also polyphonic and has lots of poly-based features. Blocks is mono.

Noumena wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 pm
0degree wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:05 pm No, it’s really CPU hungry - IMO Bitwig should optimise it
I'm able to run even the most complex presets on my 1.2Ghz i5 2013 MacBook Air 11". It is light, imo.
yes, on my new Mac Mini I can easily get 24 voices...

chk071 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:15 am
Probably would end up like that hibidy guy then. :D
who is he these days?
i have my suspicions :monocle:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”