Bitwig Studio 3 gets 10 out of 10 from MusicTech Review

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

Noumena wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:15 pm
0degree wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:05 pm No, it’s really CPU hungry - IMO Bitwig should optimise it
I'm able to run even the most complex presets on my 1.2Ghz i5 2013 MacBook Air 11". It is light, imo.
Here's my DSP graph with SEMtex polygrid preset (AMD Ryzen 1700). Grid UI is open:
dspGraph.png
It's worth mentioning it's the only instrument in the project. Maybe it's AMD CPU issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What preset is it? I encountered only one among the first 30 or so presets. So, it depends on the preset. I have Ryzen 1600X. I'll post a graph later.

EnGee wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:10 pm What preset is it? I encountered only one among the first 30 or so presets. So, it depends on the preset. I have Ryzen 1600X. I'll post a graph later.
It's SEMtex preset

Edit: Now it seems to be normal when I opened it again, weird :?

Do you have your power options set to High Performance?

This is how it performs on my PC with 3-notes chord:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks for sharing. Yes, I have high perf mode enabled, maybe it was some temporary glitch

You are welcome :) Yes, maybe.

I also set the buffer to 256 as I noted it's the sweet spot for my PC/Asio settings.

I think they did a great job with version 3. It ticks 95% of my needs. It replaced version 2.5.1 and I don't feel I want to go back!

I like the sound quality of the Grid. Some pads are killers and not many modular synths allow you polyphony ;) I still use my 3rd party synths and instruments mainly but I have added the Grid and Phase to my arsenal.

In short I'm very happy with it :)

Yeah, it's really good indeed :)

I dislike a lot of things about Bitwig Studio, many have existed v1.0.. here's a few off the top of my head..

1.Lack of thumbnail images of instruments and FX, every thing is in god damn text... I've had image thumbnails since Reason 1.0 if memory serves me right. Almost 20 years ago.

2. Instruments & FX can't be relocated, arranged vertically, titled, or tiled in separate tabs which provides proper management.

3. The mixer is extremely basic, and has poor configurability, faders can't be extended for example so that they are larger.

4. Workflow is stunted rather than seamlessly integrated.

5. GUI feels like you're trying to do keyhole surgery, a feeling of a small GUI and tiny elements even with the scaling options available, feels like you're using some kinda toy.

6. Too many colours and moving displays and widgets.... I've seen far less when talking to the captain of jet airliner at 35,000 feet when I was 13. Reminds me of that Arturia VST, which has that weird name that I've completely forgot the name of because it's name was so generic and forgettable.

7. Don't like the high pricing, and strings attached upgrade cycle.

8. Bitwig doesn't do half price upgrades, side grades either.

9. Just isn't sophisticated enough compared to DAW like Studio One for example.

10. Bitwig 3 feels like it's adding a Reason Rack like workflow, which is really a distraction from getting real music done.

11. Doesn't use Rewire...(requires some add hock workaround)

12. Isn't the best CPU wise, although version 3 has improved it.

13 Menu's too primitive.

14. Built-in instruments can't be detached and used in isolation like conventional VST instruments.

15. Waveform editing features poor.

16. No video import and playback / video type features one may want for live visualisations. ( Music and Music 2000 on the Playstation 1 had this 20 years ago)

Positives...

1. It works on Linux.

2. Easy for nubes to learn.

3. Changing GUI scale is quick and doesn't require a restart of the program.

4. It has folder tracks.

5. Caters for modular CV geeks.

6. Supports VST2 & 3 Plugins.

I'm bored now.. so I'll stop here....

This reflects the 6.6 rating I gave earlier in this thread, MMT more than likely gave a 10, purely to sell the magazine, which in the current Brexit climate, is a tough market to be in.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

None of those cons are related to the actual art of making music. They are personal preferences and minor details on aesthetic choices or some sort of utility and management aspect. We're talking about a creative environment for audio, not a paint program or video editor. To each their own.

Bitwig is on a nice path and direction... Not to shabby for version 3.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 am I dislike a lot of things about Bitwig Studio, many have existed v1.0.. here's a few off the top of my head..
This is your opinion which is not necessary my opinion! Let's see how your points are reflected on me:

1.Lack of thumbnail images of instruments and FX, every thing is in god damn text... I've had image thumbnails since Reason 1.0 if memory serves me right. Almost 20 years ago.
Not necessary! There is no need for it!

2. Instruments & FX can't be relocated or arranged vertically or titled, or tiled in separate tabs which provides proper management.
You mean the browser? I don't mind as if I use an instrument or fx frequently, I just mark it as favourite. I don't have trillion instruments and effects though!

3. The mixer is extremely basic, and has poor configurability, faders can't be extended for example so they that are larger.
It looks fine to me! If I need to act like mixing/mastering engineer, I would run Samplitude which has excellent mixer/effects.

4. Workflow is stunted rather than seamlessly integrated.
The workflow is the best between the DAWs for me! (followed by Ableton Live).

5. GUI feels like you're trying to do keyhole surgery, a feeling of a small GUI and tiny elements even with the scailing options available, feels like you're using some kinda toy.
I like toys!

6. Too many colours and moving displays and widgets.... I've seen far less when talking to the captain of jet airliner at 35,000 feet when I was 13. Reminds me of that Arturia VST, which has that weird name that I've completely forgot the name of because it's name was so generic and forgettable.
Love it! Cheerful environment and colours! But well balanced! I like orange/yellow as the main theme.

7. Don't like the high pricing, and strings attached upgrade cycle.
Nobody like high prices. True! I prefer major versions prices rather than time prices. But it is not bad really! Just buy it now and when you feel a need to upgrade, upgrade to the latest version with one year updates/upgrades. I won't update every year unless I feel I really need it!

8. Bitwig doesn't do half price upgrades, side grades on either.
If it does, then nobody would buy it full price! So, I find the 25% discount from time to time is a very good compromise.

9. Just isn't sophisticated enough compared to DAW like Studio One for example.
It is more sophisticated than Studio One for me, so that I sold S1 and Live because Bitwig v3 is better for me.

10. Bitwig 3 feels like it's adding a Reason Rack like workflow, which is really a distraction from getting real music done.
What?! I don't know what are you talking about! For me as I said the workflow is excellent. I can't find a better workflow, so that I chose Bitwig. Some other DAWs have better effects and instruments, or even more functions, but for me the workflow is the most important for me, so I chose it 8)

11. Doesn't use Rewire...(requires some add hock workaround)
Practically, I don't need it! I can run Reaper as standalone beside Bitwig so I can review the drums patterns and I can run Maschine 2 (VSTi) perfectly fine inside Bitwig! I have Reason Intro, but I haven't find a use for it together with Bitwig.

12. Isn't the best CPU wise, although version 3 has improved it.
It is good enough (if not excellent). I don't see a problem.

13 Menu's too primitive.
It is perfect for me! I don't want Reaper's menus at all!

14. Builtin instruments can't be detached and used in isolation like conventional VST instruments.
Why do you want that?

15. Waveform editing features poor.
Don't know! Don't need any Waveform editing!

16. No video import and playback / video type features one may want for live visualisations. ( Music and Music 2000 on the Playstation 1 had this 20 years ago)
You have a point here.

Positives...

1. It works on linux.

2. Easy for nubes to learn.

3. Changing GUI scale is quick and doesn't require a restart of the program.

4. It has folder tracks.

5. Caters for modular CV geeks.

6. Supports VST2 & 3 Plugins.

Good! ;)

This reflects the 6.6 rating I gave earlier in this thread, MMT more than likely gave a 10, purely to sell the magazine, which in the current Brexit climate, is a tough market to be in.
I give it 9/10 which is the highest between the DAWs I have/had!

nostalgic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:51 am None of those cons are related to the actual art of making music. They are personal preferences and minor details on aesthetic choices or some sort of utility and management aspect. We're talking about a creative environment for audio, not a paint program or video editor.
Utility and management aspects are what drive me nuts in almost any DAW honestly, especially utility. I wish Bitwig and it's dad Live didn't cut so many basic utility features.. Bitwig has a leg up lately though for sure. :)
Bitwig is on a nice path and direction... Not to shabby for version 3.
I think it's only fair to say it's more like version 11, since they all left Ableton at Live 8 . :hihi:

Shame on you, you are saying that bitwig is plagiarizing live? For shame.

Hey, serious Question. Can Bitwig do the live (ie performance) looping thing? I've been looking into going back to Live, after using some other things. I'd be looping mainly guitar tracks through amp sims, plus some plugin synths, drums & FX etc.

I've been looking at ways Live can be automated or scripted a bit for foot control of clip recording/looping/playback etc, plus moving between clip slots and stuff. It's not ideal for what I want but it seem sit can be done. And I was wondering about Bitwig. I searched on youtube for anything like that but didn't find anything, nor is it obvious from their website really.

Does it have anything to offer in that area?

reggie1979 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:10 am Shame on you, you are saying that bitwig is plagiarizing live? For shame.
It's more like one of those weight loss commercials, Live being the before picture and Bitwig being the after. :)

nostalgic wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:51 am None of those cons are related to the actual art of making music. They are personal preferences and minor details on aesthetic choices or some sort of utility and management aspect.
It's more like OCD list than anything else...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”