Reason 11 announced!!!

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
chk071
KVRAF
23162 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:35 am

VitaminD wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:31 am
Polls/surveys are often wrong. Mostly because you cannot force people to fill out a survey and the people who have abandoned your product probably don't want to fill out a survey.
True. How relevant are single forum voices though? I think we can agree that they're way less relevant even.

I guess the best option would be user metrics. Don't tell the tin foil hatters though, as they will deactivate those, as the first thing they do in the software.

kmonkey
KVRAF
4072 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Re: Reason 11 announced!!!

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:37 am

antic604 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:43 am

The question is - will people really be paying $/EUR359 for full Reason to only access the Rack VST? Or perhaps they should sell Rack VST as a separate product without Mixer and Sequencer and at reduced price of say $/EUR249 or even $/EUR199?
You forget that people now and in the future will for sure buy Reason for what it is. A fully fledged DAW not just to access rack as a VST.

There are options for everyone.

I like v11. I expected something different but got this. Like.

Anosou one question: Will i be able (it seems so but i would like to know) to send midi data (not just notes) from Ableton to Live?

Like CC midi automation...

Regards..

LawrenceF
KVRAF
6120 posts since 4 Dec, 2004

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:38 am

Trancit wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:28 am
Why not blame Pro Tools for not supporting VST... it´s the only DAW on this planet not supporting it...
I know I'm kinda stating the obvious but most good plugins come in VST, AU, and AAX format so as long as you can use the plugins you want in any host it really doesn't matter.

But yes, in this particular case it does matter for some. Anything only supporting VST leaves out both Logic and PT.

Danilo Villanova
KVRist
281 posts since 30 Apr, 2018

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:44 am

So, if the Intro version includes the VST rack and the core Reason program still doesn't have track freeze, folder tracks, etc. and the mixer and sequencer tracks are not synchronized... why do I need the full license? I get much deeper DAW functionality on Cakewalk, which even includes default 2x oversampling for VSTis which will make the old Reason devices like Subtractor take on new life. I guess that's the path I'll have to follow, I just wish I didn't need to.

Lotuz2019
KVRist
486 posts since 26 Apr, 2019 from Netherlands

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:44 am

starflakeprj wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:34 am
Lotuz2019 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:26 am
antic604 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:35 am
Lotuz2019 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:14 am
I'm a bit confused about how to use Reason as a VST host in combination with another DAW.
No wonder - we won't be able to do that.

Reason 11's Rack will be a VST that you can use as instrument or FX in other DAW :)
So if you have a Reason song file that contains VST plugins, then you can load the Reason Rack as VST plugin in your DAW and open the Reason song file?

This remark confuses me:
Anosou wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:05 am
And we have no plans for hosting VSTs inside our VST, high inception-warning on that one.ea.
Seriously???

The Reason Rack will be a VST, nothing else, no note lanes, not mixer, ONLY the rack. How hard can it be to understand?

And how can Anosou's statement be confusing? You will NOT be able to host VST plugins in the Reason Rack VST, only Rack Extensions and stock Rack Devices...jeez!
So if ReWire is gone, how will you use Reason running that song file in combination with another DAW? Is that still somehow possible with Reason 11 or do you have to use a previous version of Reason?
Can you ReWire Reason 11 with other DAW hosts?

No, ReWire has been discontinued in Reason 11. If you have projects that use ReWire, you can keep your previous version of Reason installed alongside Reason 11. Otherwise, we suggest that you use Reason Rack Plugin instead,

chk071
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:47 am

Danilo Villanova wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:44 am
So, if the Intro version includes the VST rack and the core Reason program still doesn't have track freeze, folder tracks, etc. and the mixer and sequencer tracks are not synchronized... why do I need the full license?
To have the full rack? Intro doesn't have all the included Reason rack instruments. Actually, it has the least, in comparison to the full version: https://www.propellerheads.com/de/reason (scroll down)

starflakeprj
KVRian
1308 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:51 am

Lotuz2019 wrote:
So if ReWire is gone, how will you use Reason running that song file in combination with another DAW? Is that still somehow possible with Reason 11 or do you have to use a previous version of Reason?

Can you ReWire Reason 11 with other DAW hosts?

No, ReWire has been discontinued in Reason 11. If you have projects that use ReWire, you can keep your previous version of Reason installed alongside Reason 11. Otherwise, we suggest that you use Reason Rack Plugin instead,
See the text in bold, which answers your question.
Intel Core i7-4930K@4.1GHz | 64GB DDR3 | Windows 10 Pro | Arturia AudioFuse | Arturia KeyLab mkII | Arturia SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM | Studio One 4.6 | Reason 11.2 | Bitwig Studio 3.1 | Reaper 6 | Renoise 3.1 | FL Studio 20.6 | ~1000 VSTs | ~300+ REs

antic604
KVRAF
4017 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:03 am

kmonkey wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:37 am
You forget that people now and in the future will for sure buy Reason for what it is. A fully fledged DAW not just to access rack as a VST.
I'm not forgetting anything. My post that you quoted was in reply to assertion that now more people - using other DAWs currently - will buy Reason because they'll be able to run Rack devices as VSTs. Personally, I'd pay $/EUR79 to access Europa, Thor, Kong, DrOcto and ReDrum, but definitely wouldn't pay $/EUR359 to access the rest. There should/could be a middle tier offering, with all the devices but no sequencer & mixer; just the Reason Rack VST.
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

v1o
KVRAF
2109 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:08 am

keel wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:43 am
Anosou, how you can keep ignoring that high resolution graphis on every year and every release? As far as I know, the GUI is drawn by CPU, which makes it slow and laggy. Come and, add scaleable gui with GPU render, it's really time for that. It has been years already.
GPU Render always has issues, every VST that uses the GPU for rendering has issues and glitches with certain hardware configurations. It will also use more battery life with laptop setups.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

aMUSEd
KVRAF
31207 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:11 am

v1o wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:08 am
keel wrote:
Anosou, how you can keep ignoring that high resolution graphis on every year and every release? As far as I know, the GUI is drawn by CPU, which makes it slow and laggy. Come and, add scaleable gui with GPU render, it's really time for that. It has been years already.
GPU Render always has issues, every VST that uses the GPU for rendering has issues and glitches within certain hardware configurations. It will also use more battery life with laptop setups.
Would it also be very OS and hardware dependent? - like on Apple I guess it would have to use Metal as they are discontinuing open GL but even then that doesn't work well for older Macs - and on Win Open GL still works but depends on graphics cards

Danilo Villanova
KVRist
281 posts since 30 Apr, 2018

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:16 am

chk071 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:47 am
Danilo Villanova wrote:
So, if the Intro version includes the VST rack and the core Reason program still doesn't have track freeze, folder tracks, etc. and the mixer and sequencer tracks are not synchronized... why do I need the full license?
To have the full rack? Intro doesn't have all the included Reason rack instruments. Actually, it has the least, in comparison to the full version: https://www.propellerheads.com/de/reason (scroll down)
Didn't catch that, my bad.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:19 am

You had a point though, for people who only use rack extensions, it makes no difference.

v1o
KVRAF
2109 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:23 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:11 am
v1o wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:08 am
keel wrote:
GPU Render always has issues, every VST that uses the GPU for rendering has issues and glitches within certain hardware configurations. It will also use more battery life with laptop setups.
Would it also be very OS and hardware dependent? - like on Apple I guess it would have to use Metal as they are discontinuing open GL but even then that doesn't work well for older Macs - and on Win Open GL still works but depends on graphics cards
Yeah it would be highly OS and hardware dependent. On the Mac that means no machines running MacOS High Sierra and earlier. On Windows things are more complicated. CPU render should always be an option.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

gentleclockdivider
KVRAF
2517 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:39 am

''You get to decide how to make your music ''
I think they have used that sentence in every single reason promo

Now reason rack vst is interesting , is this only availbale to full reason owners or can it be purchased individually ?
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

JamminFool
KVRian
1143 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:45 am

nice update! :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”