Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

@fmr - Agree with your 6, 7, 8, 9 - a 1000%

Your number 2; Export to Video => ALREADY THERE

How so..?
Last edited by thebutler on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

fmr wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 am 10 Automation shown directly on tracks => WOULD LOVE THAT
I don't understand. Where else is it shown now?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:32 am
fmr wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 am 10 Automation shown directly on tracks => WOULD LOVE THAT
In its own separate lane(s), below the actual track. If you look at say ProTools, the automation line(s) are overlaid directly onto the (audio/waveform) data
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

thebutler wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:32 am
In its own separate lane(s), below the actual track. If you look at say ProTools, the automation line(s) are overlaid directly onto the (audio/waveform) data
That would be a nightmare. On every track I have 10-12 lanes of automation. How on earth would that lay over each other? It would be incredibly messy.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

thebutler wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 amIn its own separate lane(s), below the actual track. If you look at say ProTools, the automation line(s) are overlaid directly onto the (audio/waveform) data
(Just for clarity - this is overlaid thing is view option in Pro Tools, alongside the usual lanes under the track. Personally I never use it.)
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

A couple other things I forgot to mention:
The person who shared these leaks with us originally posted this info on July 7th 2019. The version at the time was Alpha 3 (not even beta). It was also mentioned that the update will be out in November.

I also remember reading somewhere that the development team at Steinberg follow agile/scrum development model. So here's hoping that this leaked feature set is incomplete.

Edit: Alpha versions do usually end up with a feature freeze.
Last edited by Imaak on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:51 am
thebutler wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:44 amIn its own separate lane(s), below the actual track. If you look at say ProTools, the automation line(s) are overlaid directly onto the (audio/waveform) data
(Just for clarity - this is overlaid thing is view option in Pro Tools, alongside the usual lanes under the track. Personally I never use it.)
Ah.! Thanks... and you can freely choose how to display these (overlay/in lanes)..?

BTW, I'm with you (and @Mushy Mushy) - can't say I'd use it much myself...
Last edited by thebutler on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebutler wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:04 am
Ah.! Thanks... can you choose which (how many) to display as overlay and/or in the lanes below..?

You know I might be going mad, but I think actually its just clip gain you can overlay on the waveform, not automation. Couldn't find automation overlay on a quick look just now.

For lanes below, yes you just add as many as you want / need.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

thebutler wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:04 am
Ah.! Thanks... can you choose which (how many) to display as overlay and/or in the lanes below..?

I'm not saying we wouldn't have the lanes anymore. and I also don't say I wouldn't use the lanes too. But for things like volume and pan, for example, I would prefer to see those in the track. An option to choose WHICH ones would be displayed in ther lanes and which ones would display in the track would be great.

But that's not the most important feature I would like to see, though, and certainly not a showstopper. :wink:
Fernando (FMR)

I'm hoping for a gapless playback engine (unbelievable that it still doesn't!) and proper fixes to HiDPI, otherwise I'm skipping and possibly selling on.

fmr wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:20 am Well, compare that list with this one:
1 Move tracks within the MixConsole => WOULD LOVE THAT
2 Export to Video => IS THERE
3 Chord Detection from audio => DON'T BOTHER MUCH
4 Polyphonic audio editing => I guess that's what Melodyne Studio does, but would be great to have that integrated in Cubase Pro),
5 Stereo effects on mono channels => WOULD LOVE THAT
6 Bezier curves in MIDI editor => WOULD LOVE THAT
7 Open all Plug-ins of one track in one Window with tabs => WOULD LOVE THAT x 1000
8 General improvements to MIDI Editor => WOULD LOVE THAT
9 Smart tools for MIDI editing => WOULD LOVE THAT
10 Automation shown directly on tracks => WOULD LOVE THAT

Well, I mean you don't expect them to put the Top 10 in a single .5 release do you? They've gotta spread the top requests out over a few years to keep people upgrading every year.

wjoyce wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:46 pm I'm hoping for a gapless playback engine (unbelievable that it still doesn't!)...
Considering how old the Cubase codebase is, and how deep the audio engine is, I suspect trying to make the engine gapless now would be a complete nightmare and bug/crash-fest. I remember when I was using Sonar, and it seemed like they literally spent years trying to make the engine "more gapless" in each release and never quite got there (by the time I stopped paying attention anyway).

wjoyce wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:46 pm I'm hoping for a gapless playback engine (unbelievable that it still doesn't!) and proper fixes to HiDPI, otherwise I'm skipping and possibly selling on.
I literally asked for a gapless playback engine around 2 or 3 weeks ago and someone from Cubase replied with a big "can't do it. It would require a rewrite of the whole engine"

Imaak wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:43 pm
wjoyce wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:46 pm I'm hoping for a gapless playback engine (unbelievable that it still doesn't!) and proper fixes to HiDPI, otherwise I'm skipping and possibly selling on.
I literally asked for a gapless playback engine around 2 or 3 weeks ago and someone from Cubase replied with a big "can't do it. It would require a rewrite of the whole engine"
Curious as to what a gapless playback engine is, in english, in 25 words or less, please? :D
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

BERFAB wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:04 pm
Imaak wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:43 pm
Curious as to what a gapless playback engine is, in english, in 25 words or less, please? :D
A gapless playback engine provides the ability to perform actions such as creating sends, activating EQs and adding plugins during playback without interrupting the audio. Cubase is the only DAW that I've used that still can't handle this and, for me anyway, it's a major annoyance.

Correction : activating EQ doesn't glitch the audio.
Last edited by wjoyce on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”