Cubase 10.5 is here now....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

I kept the description word count to the brief of less that 25 words - accidentally mind, but there you go :)

2 Export to Video => IS THERE
removed during Cubase 9, is still gone

Imaak wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:43 pm
wjoyce wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:46 pm I'm hoping for a gapless playback engine (unbelievable that it still doesn't!) and proper fixes to HiDPI, otherwise I'm skipping and possibly selling on.
I literally asked for a gapless playback engine around 2 or 3 weeks ago and someone from Cubase replied with a big "can't do it. It would require a rewrite of the whole engine"
Yeah, as I suspected. How do you rewrite the underlying audio engine to be gapless without touching just about everything in your DAW? It'd be akin to starting over from scratch, which is basically the story of how Studio One came about right? Wasn't it some Cubase developers that basically said, "we want to write a modern audio engine and can't do it in Cubase so let's leave and create our own brand new DAW?" So you get a gapless audio engine in Studio One, but it's still way behind on the MIDI side. Cubase can't possibly do that.

jancivil wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 pm
He meant in Cubase 10.5. It's alleged that Video Export is a leaked feature in the upcoming 10.5 release. So #2 in the wishlist is allegedly there in this next release.

wjoyce wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:10 pm
BERFAB wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:04 pm
wjoyce wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:46 pm I'm hoping for a gapless playback engine (unbelievable that it still doesn't!) and proper fixes to HiDPI, otherwise I'm skipping and possibly selling on.
I literally asked for a gapless playback engine around 2 or 3 weeks ago and someone from Cubase replied with a big "can't do it. It would require a rewrite of the whole engine"
Curious as to what a gapless playback engine is, in english, in 25 words or less, please? :D
A gapless playback engine provides the ability to perform actions such as creating sends, activating EQs and adding plugins during playback without interrupting the audio. Cubase is the only DAW that I've used that still can't handle this and, for me anyway, it's a major annoyance.
So THAT'S what that's called. Yes, very annoying. Well, now, gapless is on my list as well.
Thanks for the explanation.
Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

In Cubase's defense, I'm pretty sure Pro Tools and, last I checked, Sonar, still aren't gapless either.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:25 pm In Cubase's defense, I'm pretty sure Pro Tools and, last I checked, Sonar, still aren't gapless either.
Ok, I haven't used either, so thanks for the info. 👍🏼

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:24 pm
jancivil wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:16 pm
He meant in Cubase 10.5. It's alleged that Video Export is a leaked feature in the upcoming 10.5 release. So #2 in the wishlist is allegedly there in this next release.
Ah, ok. I hope so, although re-rendering a video in Resolve on this system is insanely fast, it could be a couple of seconds rather than a minute or two. Before this it was these 45-minute renders and I was mightily pissed off, because that's what I do, remix and put the new in videos.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:25 pm In Cubase's defense, I'm pretty sure Pro Tools and, last I checked, Sonar, still aren't gapless either.
Actually Pro Tools is gapless now, since 2019.5 IIRC. And Sonar is now Bandlab, which is free, so they're allowed.

Wow, is it really JUST Cubase that isn't gapless at this point?
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:23 pm
Yeah, as I suspected. How do you rewrite the underlying audio engine to be gapless without touching just about everything in your DAW? It'd be akin to starting over from scratch, which is basically the story of how Studio One came about right? Wasn't it some Cubase developers that basically said, "we want to write a modern audio engine and can't do it in Cubase so let's leave and create our own brand new DAW?" So you get a gapless audio engine in Studio One, but it's still way behind on the MIDI side. Cubase can't possibly do that.
Yes, I also heard a narrative along these lines when S1 popped up, but then I wondered how their audio engine was so unstable and kept causing glitches and unusually high CPU load for many users (especially with some buffer settings), unlike Cubase. I say that as someone who actually likes S1 in principle, the basic structure and design is actually well thought out, but the inferior performance of their audio engine kept me away from fully embracing it.
Last edited by Obsolete236871 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

It is frustrating that because the code is so old it can’t be modernized - Pro Tools did somehow, even Cubasis on the iPad has gapless audio.

I really don't need "gapless" as long as the audio engine in general is stable and highly performant for real time applications, which Cubase' engine is! Why would I bother about a 3ms glitch when I activate an EQ?

I hear you, I think Cubase is outstanding overall and most steinberg plug ins don’t glitch when inserting, more just the flow of adding instruments and new tracks on the fly - not Cubase’s forte at the moment. But Cubase is amazing for big projects with huge track counts, no question.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:48 pm I really don't need "gapless" as long as the audio engine in general is stable and highly performant for real time applications, which Cubase' engine is! Why would I bother about a 3ms glitch when I activate an EQ?
Hasn’t really bothered me so far either, just recent learned that “gapless audio engine” is a thing.
If you would ask people “do you want a gapless engine”, most likely everyone will scream yes, but if you add “even if that means rewriting the old engine which would take years and resources that could be used elsewhere and the result will probably not be as stable and mature as the current engine especially in the beginning”, not so sure about the result...
I can’t even begin to imagine the complexity that is a DAW audio engine.

I think a gapless Cubase would be a variation of Cubase but a new product optimized for live performance perhaps with scenes and clip launchers as well. I don't want to see Cubase become Bitwig or Live . Cubase does linear recording very well and I wouldn't want to see those efforts diluted as they hopelessly tried to compete with those applications. My two bits and that is probably more than they are worth.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”