Are any Pro Musos and Studio producers using Windows?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Topic says it all. All I can see everywhere that all top DJ’s and pro studio musos/composers use Apple Macs and iPads for music composing performing and production.
Are Windows based computers for “bedroom” music makers only?

Telepathy is the future. None of this manual input malarky.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Hans Zimmer is about as pro as it gets and he uses a PC, so..... make your own mind up.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:55 am Topic says it all. All I can see everywhere that all top DJ’s and pro studio musos/composers use Apple Macs and iPads for music composing performing and production.
No. I'm glad we talked about it though. :P

Apart from that, what would be your conclucsion if everyone who is "pro" used a Mac? That producing on a Windows PC is inferior? Why? That's just thinking which makes no sense. Actually, there's some DAW's which run more stable on Windows, they way i always read about it here. Studio One, for example. Most of the business guys who run Macs for music production which i've seen in videos use either Logic or Cubase. Sometimes, rarely, Ableton Live. But, as far as i read, Cubase also has wors performance on Mac than on PC, so, yeah... that's that, i guess. If someone wants a Mac, then it's surely not because he can produce music better then.
Last edited by chk071 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

No conclusion in that vid? What da f**k? I expected a clear yes for one of the platforms. :P

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:01 am Hans Zimmer is about as pro as it gets and he uses a PC, so..... make your own mind up.
Grandpa Zimmer lives in his Own windows 98 \past, not really good example

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:04 am
Atlatnesiti wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:55 am Topic says it all. All I can see everywhere that all top DJ’s and pro studio musos/composers use Apple Macs and iPads for music composing performing and production.
No. I'm glad we talked about it though. :P

Apart from that, what would be your conclucsion if everyone who is "pro" used a Mac? That producing on a Windows PC is inferior? Why? That's just thinking which makes no sense. Actually, there's some DAW's which run more stable on Windows, they way i always read about it here. Studio One, for example. Most of the business guys who run Macs for music production which i've seen in videos use either Logic or Cubase. Sometimes, rarely, Ableton Live. But, as far as i read, Cubase also has wors performance on Mac than on PC, so, yeah... that's that, i guess. If someone wants a Mac, then it's surely not because he can produce music better then.
Live, ProTools

Atlatnesiti wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:16 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:01 am Hans Zimmer is about as pro as it gets and he uses a PC, so..... make your own mind up.
Grandpa Zimmer lives in his Own windows 98 \past, not really good example
Obvious Troll is obvious.

Really.

A professional, along with many of us "bedroom" music-makers, will be able to get the job done with any tool. And you can't extract any meaningful data from the fact that the prevalence of bedroom producers use Windows, because of the huge confounding factor that is the cost-of-entry. Were Apple computers priced competitively, the landscape would probably look very different.

If Apple computers would be priced competetively, actually, the landscape could look a lot different than you might think. ;) What would a Apple computer be without the exclusivity of the price tag? I'd dare a guess and say that it wouldn't be as attractive anymore for some people, while others maybe would be more willing to take a look at them. The proportions will be really hard to anticipate though.

chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:28 am If Apple computers would be priced competetively, actually, the landscape could look a lot different than you might think. ;)
Well, I wrote it, which means I've actually thought about it
chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:28 amWhat would a Apple computer be without the exclusivity of the price tag?
At this point I have to suspect that you are just projecting. Either that, or you don't really understand what "exclusive" means. As of this time last year, there were 100 million active Mac users. Nothing exclusive about that. And if you are having trouble comprehending that, then perhaps start asking Mac users how many millions of users would it take for them to switch to Windows just to feel special :shrug:
chk071 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:28 amI'd dare a guess and say that it wouldn't be as attractive anymore for some people, while others maybe would be more willing to take a look at them. The proportions will be really hard to anticipate though.
Were Mac computers to be priced the same as similarly-spec'd PC's, the landscape would likely be very different. Not only would it make Logic once again accessible to the masses, but I think the OS would have many converts, as would CoreAudio. And when you add the fact that Macs can run Windows, both natively (via Bootcamp), and in virtual environments within OSX, thereby offering the best of both worlds, it would be hard to imagine it not causing a huge disruption

I've seen several threads now where there is a flame "mac vs PC" war. What we definitely wound't need right now is "another mac vs PC" thread :roll:

And we all know by now what is the answer to this question, don't we? Use whatever fits your workflow. First thing I'd say is defining what DAW will you use. If the answer is Logic, then you have already made up your mind for the platform to use.

If the answer is Cubase, or Live, or any other DAW, then you should then check which platform that DAW performs best. In the end, nobody cares WTF did you use to get the job done. :shrug:

All the rest will be just guessing answers and biased answers - the fact is nobody knows for certain why someone uses this or that. Sometimes, I'd say that even the guys themselves don't.
Fernando (FMR)

I'd even say that, regardless of where your software performs better (it's minor differences mostly anyway), you should choose the platform which overall suits you the best. At least if you're looking to do other things with your computer than pure music production (who doesn't?). I'm pretty sure most people don't choose solely based on what's best for a single task, but, rather choose something which suits them for all tasks.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”