Any way to hear audio from two different apps while using ASIO drivers on WIN?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey people

I do loads of transcription work and many times I do it from YouTube links. I have a fairly powerful WIN machine that I use for sequencing work.
I find it super annoying that I can't fire up Cubase, load a piano instrument and run the Youtube video in background, like you could easily do on a Mac.
I know you can suspend the drivers in the background, but that's a bit clunky as a solution and it's not very helpful, as I'd love to be able to play along / record in cubase WHILE the video is running.
Any ideas, folks? many thanks
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

It works here, when i use my audio interface as the audio source in my DAW, and use my PC's internal sound card for Windows sound. I can listen to a Youtube video then, while playing a synth in my DAW. I don't know if that works with every ASIO driver and sound card, but, surely works here, with a Steinberg UR22, and a Soundblaster Z internal sound card.

Thanks for your quick answer.

I don't own an internal sound card. I do all my audio through an Audient audio interface. I know you can assign two different soundcards to two different apps, but I would like to know if there is a way to make that work on a system with one set of drivers and one sound output alone
chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:01 am It works here, when i use my audio interface as the audio source in my DAW, and use my PC's internal sound card for Windows sound. I can listen to a Youtube video then, while playing a synth in my DAW. I don't know if that works with every ASIO driver and sound card, but, surely works here, with a Steinberg UR22, and a Soundblaster Z internal sound card.
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Try the following:
Win-Key+R and then run the command mmsys.cpl sounds.

Go to tab Playback and select your device and then Properties.
Then go to the Advanced tab and disable the Exclusive mode.

Also
Go to the tab Communication and select the option Do Nothing.
Communication is not strictly for phone calls. Other programs are affected by this setting too.

Woah that looks promising!

I shall try that tonight

Thanks dude! I'll let you know if it worked
Rivanni wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:23 am Try the following:
Win-Key+R and then run the command mmsys.cpl sounds.

Go to tab Playback and select your device and then Properties.
Then go to the Advanced tab and disable the Exclusive mode.

Also
Go to the tab Communication and select the option Do Nothing.
Communication is not strictly for phone calls. Other programs are affected by this setting too.
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Does that work for ASIO though? I assume that it only works for MME or Windows Audio (WASAPI). But, worth a try anyway.

1. "Generic low latency ASIO driver" included in Cubase should work. This driver is multiclient as I know (I just read about it and don't use it). It may cause latency but is it a problem for you? Try to change a driver in Cubase audio preferences, in other words don't use "native" Audient' one.

2. Replace your audio interface by one capable to work in multiclient mode.

I would have thought all ASIO drivers allow for this. You might need to turn off exclusive focus, program stealing or whatever it's called in Windows.

I wouldn't expect this from ASIO emulators though, such as ASIO4ALL.

Macs are different because of Core Audio providing many audio solutions that are not available in Windows out of the box.

My PC can do that, using an NI asio interface.

I have no problem running e.g. cubase and vsthost in parallel with ASIO and a browser playing YouTube videos. It probably depends on the audio interface and it’s drivers. I have an RME but I remember my older interfaces not being multi client capable either.
Maybe something like vb-audio voicemeeter can help? Haven’t tried it, but it seems like one clever piece of software with multiple virtual ASIO drivers and whatnot.
Else I fully recommend going RME :) I practically felt guilty shelling out 1k for an audio interface that is way above my station in life, but I never regretted it. One of the few things in computer world that just works, and over an estimated lifespan of probably around fifteen years, the initial price isn’t that bad... (that’s me rationalizing:)

ASIO Link Pro is extremely handy to routing audio between apps and interfaces
https://give.academy/posts/2018/03/02/AsioLinkPro/

Fl Asio works as non exclusive.

I think it depends on your sound card drivers. My old Marian PCIe card couldn't do it as it hogged the ASIO driver. My USB Qu-Pac does it no problem.

This function does, yes, depend on which ASIO soundcard you have.
Some soundcards are multi-client, some aren't.

Make sure you have the sample rate set the same in Windows Sound System and ASIO settings. If one is set to 44.1kHz and the other to 48kHz then it won't work.

As long as I do that I can run Cubase and Youtube / Spotify at the same time without any problems.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”