Releases for 2020..... Ableton, Apple, Presonus

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Who are you looking forward to as far as DAW releases? I do electronic/pop music. So for me I think the most exciting will be the following:
1. Ableton-New Live and Push controller possibly?
2. Native Instruments-Maschine/Komplete Kontrol with arranger improvements.
3. Logic X-It's apple....
4. Studio One 5-Will depend on who they target. Either engineers or producers/songwriters. A pro tools/cubase influenced release won't get as much attention as a NI or Ableton release. Basing this where the industry is right now.
5. Imageline-Has grown so much, and continues to dominate the Electronic/hip hop audience. Plus now we have up and comers scoring with it!

Don’t care really. The ones I have work fine, and it only means spending money every time there’s an update...

No idea what these would bring 2020 but I am curious:
1. Tracktion Waveform
2. MuseScore, I know it's no DAW but anyway.
3. Cakewalk by Bandlab - fine tuning and bug fixes, I don't expect major new features.

I’m honestly not holding my breath for any of them. I’m happy with my Push2, and I paid a lot of money for it at the end of 2015, and it works just fine as it is. It wasn’t that long ago that I paid $200+ for the upgrade to Ableton Suite. Logic hasn’t had a paid upgrade in quite a while. Apple seems fairly content to issue free updates, assuming their users will be upgrading their computers every couple of years

Logic really doesn’t seem in need of an update, so I’d be glad for it to remain at its current version.

Bitwig will have 3.2, 3.3 and likely 3.4 next year... I look forward to whatever those updates bring

Seems likely there will be a significant Logic update... look forward to that one too.

Logic 10.5 and Live 10.5.

Hopefully Live gets MPE. Easily the most needed thing. IMO in general I'm not expecting much from Ableton though. I don't expect a Push 3, more likely something like a set of Max hardware tools, that's been my guess for a while now.

MOTU hopefully run with refining the changes to DP10 and Clips, my big hope for them is hardware controller support on the lines of Ableton.

Bitwig hopefully open up their "modular system" they promised at the beginning to more than a cool instrument.

That's about it. I think we're in for incremental improvements, not monumental.

Live still doesn’t have full midi channel support which would be needed to add MPE. Also if Ableton adds MPE, then Push 2 doesn’t support it.

I think The Grid is it... and subsequent development of it. Entirely a guess, but I think they changed their mind about opening up the modular back end. Too complicated. Maybe for version 7 or something

pdxindy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:32 am Live still doesn’t have full midi channel support which would be needed to add MPE. Also if Ableton adds MPE, then Push 2 doesn’t support it.

I think The Grid is it... and subsequent development of it. Entirely a guess, but I think they changed their mind about opening up the modular back end. Too complicated. Maybe for version 7 or something
Hope you're wrong, but you're probably right.

Ableton have the same issue that NI have, MPE support goes against their own controller sales. To be fair though, Push 2 is capable of poly aftertouch, velocity, and I don't think release is a hardware thing really? So that leaves pitch as the only unsupported MPE thing.

I got all excited about Bitwig when they came out, and they are pretty cool, but I'm betting you're right about the Grid being it for a while.

MOTU are just sloooow, so I don't expect anything more grandiose than what they've done. It would be nice, but I'm assuming they won't do anything wild until DP11.

Apple and Logic just slowly plug away, I can't imagine any groundbreaking things. Same with Cubase, Studio One etc.

The only thing i hope for is Logic 10.5 (and an iOS version would be welcome).

machinesworking wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:54 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:32 am Live still doesn’t have full midi channel support which would be needed to add MPE. Also if Ableton adds MPE, then Push 2 doesn’t support it.

Hope you're wrong, but you're probably right.

Ableton have the same issue that NI have, MPE support goes against their own controller sales. To be fair though, Push 2 is capable of poly aftertouch, velocity, and I don't think release is a hardware thing really? So that leaves pitch as the only unsupported MPE thing.

I got all excited about Bitwig when they came out, and they are pretty cool, but I'm betting you're right about the Grid being it for a while.

MOTU are just sloooow, so I don't expect anything more grandiose than what they've done. It would be nice, but I'm assuming they won't do anything wild until DP11.

Apple and Logic just slowly plug away, I can't imagine any groundbreaking things. Same with Cubase, Studio One etc.
For Push, it would be missing pitch and timbre... it only has the z axis, not x and y

I figure Bitwig’s Grid will be developed further with ‘macros’ (saved common parts) and some way to make user interfaces for Grid constructs. Who knows when/if the later will happen. It will likely get a Midi Grid device for building sequencers and arpeggiators and so on. Also additional modules... The Grid as is, is an impressive accomplishment.

Bitwig just released 3.1.1 with a new vocoder device. A happy surprise as I used to use Live’s vocoder a fair bit. I wonder if the Bitwig vocoder will end up as a Grid module?

Would be sweet if Logic added some of the environment functionality and make it user friendly... like using multiple controllers at once.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:34 am Bitwig will have 3.2, 3.3 and likely 3.4 next year... I look forward to whatever those updates bring

Seems likely there will be a significant Logic update... look forward to that one too.
+1 on both counts

For me, I am really hoping Avid has a great year with Pro Tools and adds some extended midi features, ARA2 support and track folders. I would be one happy camper. For midi, I'd like to see a drum sequencer. The piano roll is actually very good, so a small icon one could click to switch over to drum sequencing mode would make it perfect. I also love the idea of some integrated midi plugins like an arpeggiator (in fact, they could just add the drum sequencer that way also). Other than that there really isn't anything else I need in Pro Tools. I don't have any specific hopes or dreams for other DAWs as I don't know them that well.. Oh wait.. Since I am playing around with Reaper, my wish for that would be a clean and neat default GUI and streamline "un rocket scienced" menus and clip properties dialogue lol. To rmacattack, I promise you that Pro Tools is just as great at making electronic music as any of the DAWs you listed. You might be very surprised!
Windows 10 Pro|Intel 9960X @ 4.4 GHZ|128GB Corsair|16TB SSD|AMD 5700XT|Gigabyte Designare|Avid HDX x2|Antelope Orion 32HD x2|Pro Tools 2019.12

Bitwig's Grid was fun for a short time (I even renewed my Bitwig license for it), but in the end it just doesn't look or sound like a modular synth. I guess I'm not into flat interfaces (I also rarely use Live's built in instruments and effects). So unless Bitwig comes up with something very impressive, I don't think I will ever renew my license again.

I think for the same reason I'm more into Cubase lately, I love Cubase's mixer because it actually looks like a mixer. My biggest wish for Cubase is that Steinberg finally rewrites the audio engine so playback doesn't get interrupted every time I add or remove something.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”