Releases for 2020..... Ableton, Apple, Presonus

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kalamata Kid wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:14 am » Steinberg SpectraLayers Pro 6 + version 7 upgrade
I hope v7 fixes a few things, I would like to upgrade my v4, but only with genuine stability improvements

jonljacobi wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:48 pm I think they could do a lot with the interface. Especially the way its drawn with the combination of bitmaps and routines. It seems slow even on my fastest Mac. And yes, ESX24 and others are badly in need of the new style interface found in the latest FX. It's been a long while since 10.4, so who knows?

But in terms of functionality... What's missing?
Tools for drawing automation shapes, scratch pad (as S1), Drum map editor (as cubase)...

Interesting. I wonder if it' a point release to 10, or a v11?

Most likely 10.5 as the rest seems to be the same.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:56 am
jonljacobi wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:12 am I just downloaded the DP demo and it's unfathomably slow rendering on my 5K (iMac running Windows) display. The themes seem largely color sets, and while it's not skeuomorphic in the Logic Pro Themes blog sense (not all are you know, there are quite a few that simply mimic other DAWS), it's still the same metaphor.

Also, they need to compensate for high resolution in the initial dialogs. I had take off my glasses and get within inches of the display to type in the info necessary to open the program. I'll try it on macOS but if it's no faster, that's a no-go right from the start.
edit: Mac version is much better, but still lags...
Of course if you're comparing it to Logic, the GUI is not going to be as fast. I don't find the rendering that slow compared to the rest of the DAWs on my system, (Reaper, Reason, Live, Bitwig, MPC2).... The entire interface is scalable, it's command + or - on OS X, probably control for Windows.

In terms of little things, like non compensated dialogs etc. DP has a way to go. They seem to be shifting gears, hopefully they keep up. I'm a fan, but they are stuck between the old and new, and need to patch it together slightly better, then they would have a monster.
It’s downright slow, but I don’t think Logic is particularly fast either. Bitwig and Live suffer no lag. The only other DAW that’s as slow drawing as DP is Tracktion, though that gets better in low detail mode. Certainly not debilitating. Just a bit annoying. Vast potential.

andypryce wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:32 pm Most likely 10.5 as the rest seems to be the same.
I guess too but i hope they add more under the hood.
...like Alchemy v3 or Sculpture v2 or ES3 :D

That could move me back to Logic, even with my distaste at the MIDI port issue. It looks like something Sugar Bytes would design....

Kinda feel bad for MOTU and DP, Logic getting Clips kills the major difference that most people could see between the two.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:27 pm
That could move me back to Logic, even with my distaste at the MIDI port issue. It looks like something Sugar Bytes would design....

Kinda feel bad for MOTU and DP, Logic getting Clips kills the major difference that most people could see between the two.
Funny that iOS Garage Band has that since 2016 or so. But i guess its no minor thing to add into Logic.

Cinebient wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:31 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Funny that iOS Garage Band has that since 2016 or so. But i guess its no minor thing to add into Logic.
You see that it's got to be no minor thing when an upstart like Bitwig comes out the door with MPE and still to this day DP and Live do not have native MPE support. Or why only Cubase and Logic have Articulation maps. It's why Logic still doesn't differentiate by port with VSTi's.

IMO this is in part a response to the continued success of Live, Bitwig and the adding of loops or Clips to DP10. I don't mind of course, although at first I suspect the same issue that DP has, no native haptic response RGB and LED wise on devices like Launchpad, the APCs and Push.

This also further blurs the line with Mainstage, its one of those to me odd decisions to cut Mainstage out like that, if MainStage was able to be hosted in Logic as an AU then problem solved, otherwise to get Bitwig or Live level performance features you're using two applications at once, synced via older methods etc.

Back to DP, I quite like the way it delineates functionality between tabs. Too many DAWs try to stuff everything into one main window. As these things progress in complexity, they have become increasingly cluttered. Definitely going to read the users guide and play with it more.

machinesworking wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:56 am
jonljacobi wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:12 am I just downloaded the DP demo and it's unfathomably slow rendering on my 5K (iMac running Windows) display. The themes seem largely color sets, and while it's not skeuomorphic in the Logic Pro Themes blog sense (not all are you know, there are quite a few that simply mimic other DAWS), it's still the same metaphor.

Also, they need to compensate for high resolution in the initial dialogs. I had take off my glasses and get within inches of the display to type in the info necessary to open the program. I'll try it on macOS but if it's no faster, that's a no-go right from the start.
edit: Mac version is much better, but still lags...
Of course if you're comparing it to Logic, the GUI is not going to be as fast. I don't find the rendering that slow compared to the rest of the DAWs on my system, (Reaper, Reason, Live, Bitwig, MPC2).... The entire interface is scalable, it's command + or - on OS X, probably control for Windows.

In terms of little things, like non compensated dialogs etc. DP has a way to go. They seem to be shifting gears, hopefully they keep up. I'm a fan, but they are stuck between the old and new, and need to patch it together slightly better, then they would have a monster.
Apple isn't doing anything in Logic Pro X that MOTU can't do in Digital Performer, as far as GUI performance is concerned.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:03 am It depends on how much stuff you have in the arranger, and what options you have enabled.

For example, I find Samplitude Pro X4 unusable on my system for actual production, because the GUI just gets too sluggish when you have a lot of waveforms on the display. Good Luck trying to use it on a 4K display, especially if you have an Nvidia GPU (which ironically works flawlessly with every other DAW on my system).

I definitely feel the difference in GUI responsiveness between applications. Even on Windows machines when comparing to non-first party applications. But I also have an All SSD system, so a lot of the I/O latency is kept in check. Other people's setups may hide those things a bit less, which can mask other areas of inefficiency.

Apple isn't doing anything in Logic Pro X that MOTU can't do in Digital Performer, as far as GUI performance is concerned.
Mostly I upgraded the Mac Pro here's graphics card to meet specs for Mojave. OS X in general errors on the side of caution GUI speed wise, Windows doesn't give a rats ass about a blank white spot left when closing an open window for instance. So coupled with a much more powerful graphics card in this old machine and OS X being milliseconds (from what I can tell) buffered compared to Windows, I don't notice graphics issues in any DAW I use.

Logic will just get improvements in graphics first. For instance Metal was needed for Logics improved graphics on their EQ, whereas Metal isn't a requirement for DP10 that I know of.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”