Why you left Bitwig?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF
8262 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:12 am

I have been a Cubase and Live for a couple of decades (still own them), but I now use Bitwig most of the time (100% of the time if I am not recording live instruments). It doesn't do everything, but personaly it does what I need, and it does many things no other DAW does.

If you can afford only one DAW it may not tick all the boxes, but it is the most the most creative, flexible and fun DAW I have come across, and with a couple of ADAT outputs to my Eurorack, its the center of my hardware studio!
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

Banned
2239 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:14 am

I only got on board lately because of 'the grid' ... they'll keep my interest as long as they significantly focus on that and other explicitly sound-design related enhancements.

User avatar
KVRAF
10754 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:17 am

I had to go to work. But I'm back now :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
10754 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:21 am

roman.i wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:55 am
...after checking the stats on the internet I see that it's popularity is not growing over time and even has a negative trend...
First of all, that's a stupid reason to not use something that you like. Unless you're shallow person.

Second, that's not how this works - the "stats on the internet" reflect number of searches for the term ("Bitwig" in this case) - if it's stable, then it means similar number of people search for information about it every day. You cannot infer from that how many users it has - it's something between 1 person and the total sum of daily searches multiplied by number of days (5 years since release).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRist
127 posts since 20 Nov, 2019

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:25 am

A lot of us felt ripped off by paying for buggy version 1, which certainly had its positives, but the bugs would eventually become apparent once a project got to a certain size and complexity. Then instead of bug fixes, having to pay again for version 2 with the new payment model, "free" upgrades for a year (don't even think about calling it a subscription!) was an unpleasant surprise to say the least.

Having said that, I'm happy to see they're still doing okay and the product seems to be getting more solid recently. I'm actually looking forward to going back to it eventually.

Banned
2239 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:38 am

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... 5-y&q=tits

hmmm ... what happened at the very beginning of 2016 ? ... something in the water supply maybe ?

oil prices plunged at about the same time:

Image

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... 5-y&q=tofu

hmmm ... this spiked at the same time ... and then trends upwards with a spike at the same time every year (lots of new years resolutions I guess)


interest in Tofu goes up while interest in Tits goes down.
conclusion: tofu consumption inhibits interest in googling tits. most likely because after a switch to a healthier lifestyle they no longer need to google them to see them.

User avatar
Banned
1796 posts since 8 Sep, 2019 from Calenberg

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:42 am

BITWIG does not support AU plugins :dog:

KVRian
1470 posts since 23 Feb, 2017

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:47 am

Daags wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:38 am
https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... 5-y&q=tits

hmmm ... what happened at the very beginning of 2016 ? ... something in the water supply maybe ?

oil prices plunged at about the same time:

Image

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... 5-y&q=tofu

hmmm ... this spiked at the same time ... and then trends upwards with a spike at the same time every year (lots of new years resolutions I guess)


interest in Tofu goes up while interest in Tits goes down.
conclusion: tofu consumption inhibits interest in googling tits. most likely because after a switch to a healthier lifestyle they no longer need to google them to see them.
Google improved their Trends algorithm on 1/1/16, it says on the site.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

User avatar
KVRAF
9438 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 am

Kongru wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:47 am
Daags wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:38 am
https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... 5-y&q=tits

hmmm ... what happened at the very beginning of 2016 ? ... something in the water supply maybe ?

oil prices plunged at about the same time:

Image

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... 5-y&q=tofu

hmmm ... this spiked at the same time ... and then trends upwards with a spike at the same time every year (lots of new years resolutions I guess)


interest in Tofu goes up while interest in Tits goes down.
conclusion: tofu consumption inhibits interest in googling tits. most likely because after a switch to a healthier lifestyle they no longer need to google them to see them.


Google improved their Trends algorithm on 1/1/16, it says on the site.
Or, an idiot can infer anything they want from statistics without full context
Amazon: why not use an alternative

User avatar
KVRAF
10754 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 pm

Calenberger wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:42 am
BITWIG does not support AU plugins :dog:
Logic Pro doesn't support VST and doesn't run on Windows or Linux :dog:

What was your point, huh?! :scared:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Banned
2239 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:50 pm

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 am
Kongru wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:47 am
Daags wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:38 am
https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... 5-y&q=tits

hmmm ... what happened at the very beginning of 2016 ? ... something in the water supply maybe ?

oil prices plunged at about the same time:

Image

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... 5-y&q=tofu

hmmm ... this spiked at the same time ... and then trends upwards with a spike at the same time every year (lots of new years resolutions I guess)


interest in Tofu goes up while interest in Tits goes down.
conclusion: tofu consumption inhibits interest in googling tits. most likely because after a switch to a healthier lifestyle they no longer need to google them to see them.


Google improved their Trends algorithm on 1/1/16, it says on the site.
Or, an idiot can infer anything they want from statistics without full context
I'm hoping you realised that was the point.

KVRAF
2127 posts since 15 Feb, 2006 from Berkeley, CA

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:14 pm

I bought Bitwig 1.x, sold due to Mac issues. I got an 8 Track license in December, was working well enough that I bought a 3.x license, only to encounter more performance issues on the next update (super-slow GUI refresh). Overall I think the Bitwig concept (Grid, modulation, Linux support) is cool while the execution (Mac speed/stability, native controller support) is lacking. I can't help but think that supporting 3 OS makes it difficult to eliminate bugs on any one platform.

IMO search trends are fairly meaningless - The time I search the most on something is when it's not working correctly, and I know many others do the same! So lower search rankings could actually correlate with a more reliable product.

KVRAF
8262 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:19 pm

It is brave for a small developer to support Mac, PC and Linux (and have a different GUI /input method for tablet mode) - cant fault them for ambition!
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

Banned
2239 posts since 19 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:49 pm

when I installed Bitwig 3, and saw that it uses Java (for the GUI if I'm not mistaken) ... my gut reaction was 'uh oh'. The issues people describe with the GUI don't really surprise me. was Bitwig always using JavaFX for the GUI ? I mean from the very beginning ? I don't recall it when it first came out, but possibly I wasn't coding in Java at that point and may have not paid too much attention to any Java signifiers during the install process.

User avatar
KVRAF
5490 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:41 pm

I don't know any statistics about Bitwig's growth. For me it was just too immature and buggy with version 1, so I quickly left Bitwig.
Would I give Bitwig another chance today? I think not. I've been using Cubase for so many years and I would simply miss too many features.
Otherwise I would rather give preference to Ableton. Bitwig is not an option for me.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”