Why you left Cubase

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought Cubase 11 Pro via crossgade and 40 % discount. Now I have Ableton 11 and Cubase Pro 11. Happy!

ls1xxx wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:42 pm I would like to know why you left Cubase, any good memories? What were some of things you didnt like about it around that time? Got a favorite version? Mine was 6.
I didn't.
AMD Ryzen 3900X & RX 5700XT, 128GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Waldorf Blofeld & Pulse 2, Akai MAX49 & MPD226, Steinberg UR44 & CMC controllers
Cubase Pro 13, Nuendo 13, Wavelab Pro 12, Dorico Pro 5, Rapid Composer v5, FL Studio 21

My favorite was 7.5.

Left because of the dongle. Didn't have the dongle during lockdown, tried Logic, didn't look back.

keyman_sam wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:09 am My favorite was 7.5.

Left because of the dongle. Didn't have the dongle during lockdown, tried Logic, didn't look back.
Its going Dongle-less
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:47 am

Its going Dongle-less
Too late, already used to Logic. Not going back. The simplicity is great. Yes I miss a bunch of Cubase features, but I've learned to live with it.

My favorite version has to be the last one before they got rid of Replace Audio in Video.
Now, one may render the video and everything, but the audio tops out at 16 bit, so my workaround is still in effect (Da Vinci Resolve will use 24 and 32 bit linear PCM very well thank you, and fortunately renders seriously fast here).

Started using it in version 4, stayed with it up to 7.5, wasn't a huge fan of the changes, sold it, 6.5 was my favorite version (the final version with the old mixer). Rebought at version 10.5, the GUI gave me even more of a headache than 7.5 did. Downloaded 6.5 for nostalgia sake and realized how much more cluttered the GUI had become by 10.5. Noticed that 10.5 projects opened in 6.5 with no problems more or less which made it feel like all the updates had been mostly cosmetic or superficial rather than under the hood. Sold it again. FL Studio lifetime updates to the rescue. :party:

keyman_sam wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:14 pm

Its going Dongle-less
Too late, already used to Logic. Not going back. The simplicity is great. Yes I miss a bunch of Cubase features, but I've learned to live with it.
I thought that also, but I realized then that it's too late for me to switch to Logic and learn a huge list of shortcuts. Logic is a wonderful DAW but it's like returning to drive a car on the right side of the road after 15 years driving on the left!

It seems, it's too late for me to leave Cubase! I tried several times, but my mindset seem to stuck with it!
However, I can use other DAWs if necessary, especially Bitwig which I really like a lot, but I need to concentrate and gather my ideas in one DAW.

EnGee wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:48 pm
keyman_sam wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:14 pm

Its going Dongle-less
I thought that also, but I realized then that it's too late for me to switch to Logic and learn a huge list of shortcuts. Logic is a wonderful DAW but it's like returning to drive a car on the right side of the road after 15 years driving on the left!

It seems, it's too late for me to leave Cubase! I tried several times, but my mindset seem to stuck with it!
However, I can use other DAWs if necessary, especially Bitwig which I really like a lot, but I need to concentrate and gather my ideas in one DAW.
I felt the same when switching to any DAW. From Reaper to Cubase it was a huge shift. But once it was complete I realized what a wonderful DAW Cubase really was and how much more efficient my workflow was. Just about every feature was very well thought out and the manual was very helpful. With Reaper there was always a "one more thing" left to learn or customize or whatever.

Now moving to Logic I felt the same friction. An unfamiliar UI, new menus, new options, new ways of doing the same thing. I resisted initially. But here I am, almost as comfortable in Logic as I once was with Cubase. With Logic I feel like you can get a lot of work done without really having to deep dive into the DAW. I've probably scratched about 20% of what Logic can do. Yet I'm immensely awed by the simplicity of the UI that hides all that complex functionality.

Not to mention having moved to Mac for music production I figured Logic would perform better than Cubase. Plus I've probably saved hundreds by not having to pay for every upgrade cycle.

I left Cubase 10 for Cubase 11. The saga continues.

keyman_sam wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:12 pm
I felt the same when switching to any DAW. From Reaper to Cubase it was a huge shift. But once it was complete I realized what a wonderful DAW Cubase really was and how much more efficient my workflow was. Just about every feature was very well thought out and the manual was very helpful. With Reaper there was always a "one more thing" left to learn or customize or whatever.

Now moving to Logic I felt the same friction. An unfamiliar UI, new menus, new options, new ways of doing the same thing. I resisted initially. But here I am, almost as comfortable in Logic as I once was with Cubase. With Logic I feel like you can get a lot of work done without really having to deep dive into the DAW. I've probably scratched about 20% of what Logic can do. Yet I'm immensely awed by the simplicity of the UI that hides all that complex functionality.

Not to mention having moved to Mac for music production I figured Logic would perform better than Cubase. Plus I've probably saved hundreds by not having to pay for every upgrade cycle.
Well, there are some things that I didn't like in Logic. I didn't find a midi preview like in Cubase. I have tons of drums patterns, mostly 3rd party I bought but there are some few that I did. Those patterns are essential for me to get the first rhythm going and to my surprise, Logic doesn't allow this while in Cubase it is the best review because it can review both in the original tempo and in the host tempo. Something that can't other DAWs do :(
Also, midi editing is not better than Cubase. I mean there are things I felt it is done smarter in Cubase like the editing tools (too many in Logic that can be felt redundant!).

However, Logic is the best value for money DAW you can buy! For only $200 you get a complete set of synths and effects with top notch sequencer. I still use it (with Bitwig) on the M1 chip sometimes because they are native while Cubase is still under Rosetta (although it runs great to be honest!).

EnGee wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:11 am
keyman_sam wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:12 pm
Not to mention having moved to Mac for music production I figured Logic
would perform better than Cubase. Plus ...
... I mean there are things I felt it is done smarter in Cubase like the editing tools ...
Does the current "Cubase" now also have "Folder"?

Up until now, Cubase could only collapse tracks, i.e. Cubase has track folders.
In "Logic Audio", on the other hand, you can select any area of the arrangement
and put it in a folder. The selected area then forms a kind of mini project in
the project - and can be copied several times as an "alias". This folder concept
makes "Logic" modular - and therefore extremely flexible. More flexible than
any other sequencer! That's exactly what I've always missed in Cubase. Does
that exist now? :?:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I haven't seen such a folder in Cubase and I don't see how essential this is! Sure I don't miss this feature nor the Environment of Logic!

There are things better in Logic of course, but for me, still Cubase is better :)

Never had it because you need the stupid dongle in order to trial the full version... What a joke

I just left Cubase 11 (11.0.30) because for some reason it crashes VERY often in totally random situations (during exports, while adjusting an equalizer, when adding a VST effect...), which almost never happens with Cubase 10.5 where crashes are more than rare. It's supposed to be configured the same way. I'm clueless. Back to Cubase 10.5. Not a problem in any way.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”