Why you left REAPER?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
The Grim
KVRer
6 posts since 20 Jun, 2017

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:05 pm

Or perhaps the question should be "Why didn't you stick with REAPER after you demo'd it?"

Now we all know most people just start up REAPER and see the hideously ugly UI, the complete lack of consistency and cohesiveness between various aspects of it's interface, going one second from the just plain fugly standard, to those hideous Windows 95 esq windows/screens like the add FX windows etc, and then the totally chaotic menus and what have you, they just shut it down never to return again. Even though REAPER is very customizable, that doesn't seem to fix the issue, as with custom themes, they all seem to come with their own issues and annoyances.

So why did you leave REAPER?, was it the above, or was it other reasons like it's reliance on dodgy, often time flaky, amateur user made scripts, themes etc, which quite often don't work correctly, and often times are just abandoned by their creator, and then when something changes in the main program, these amateur user made addons refuse to work even more so, and as they have been abandoned you are so out of luck.

Or is it that REAPER seems to require the user to have to get their hands dirty, to get in under the hood as it were, to fight and twist the program into something that is suitable for them to WANT to use? When all they want is to fire it up and use it, like 99.9% of other normal software, after all you want to create music, not be messing around endlessly with geeky stuff before you can use it to your satisfaction, your a musician after all, not a bitmonkey.

Or are it the similarities between the Linux and REAPER psyche that scare you off?, after all REAPER is often refereed to as the "Linux of the DAW world". The similarities are many and varied, and somewhat undeniable, from the seemingly complete disregard towards aesthetics, to the reliance on amateur user made additions for functionality, and on and on it goes.

?

Forgotten
KVRAF
11472 posts since 15 Apr, 2019 from Nowhere

Re: Why you left REAPER?

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:23 pm

Tried it, didn't like it.

Ed A.
KVRist
339 posts since 27 Jul, 2004 from Outer Bongolia

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:51 pm

I looked at Reaper, but compared to Logic Pro, it doesn't have the quality synths, instruments, and effects that Logic has. Those were a big selling point for me with Logic.

Bombadil
KVRAF
5763 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Far From the Twisted Reach of Crazy Sorrow

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:58 pm

All of the above.
“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.”
Hunter S. Thompson

anomandaris1
KVRist
422 posts since 26 Nov, 2009

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:19 pm

I think you overrate how many people "tweak" Reaper. It is completely usable without any changing of the functionality and is quite popular among real (usually guitarists and vocalists) musicians and mixing engineers.

excuse me please
KVRist
459 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:13 pm

Ok, I'm just a simple person. So I drag a wav file track into Reaper. The track clips above 0 dB and sounds crappy.
Now I drag the same track into Bitwig and the track nicely peaks at -10 dB. Sounds good as well.

One of you geniuses care to explain?

lfm
KVRAF
5284 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:45 pm

Bought 3.6 and tried twice until 4.7 to really like it - though
- didn't not like the extra buffer used increasing roundtrip latency
- did not like realtime resampling principles - which create overs where there aren't any
- looks - spent days modifying themes I tried - never quite got is as I wanted
- only got video running through VLC - and computer felt really heavy doing that
- did not like VCA implementation - not moving faders, just show on meters

I started getting everything plugins 3rd party, so that part did not bother me.

auron
KVRist
78 posts since 4 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:53 pm

I think all of what the grim wrote is right. In my opinion you can customize like hell but it still feels uncomfortable or unpleasent, it is not your home , it is an everlasting construction area. And please, not everyone is a geek in using/installing scripts ... they forgot there are musicians as well :lol:

CrystalWizard
KVRian
1212 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbit Sol III

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:36 pm

I’m using it, didn’t leave.
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

antic604
KVRAF
5116 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:59 pm

I never got past the demo (tried 3-4 times) because of the looks and endless menus (same reasona like for FL, actually).
Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 4 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

GaryG
KVRAF
5970 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Kent, UK

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:11 am

I like the darkroom analogy; most modern DAWs are akin to those booths in supermarkets nowadays where you plug your SD card or whatever in, play with the options and get your photos printed. Reaper is more like an old school darkroom, if you don't put the time in then, yeah, you may see a complex array of options, it doesn't hold your hand. But put the time in and you can do anything. Though IMO you don't need to put the time in for the basics, more logically laid out than, say, Bitwig for simple real instrument recording.
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
28289 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:29 am

GaryG wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:11 am
But put the time in and you can do anything.
Can you manage plugin slots on a track directly from the TCP yet? (ie as can be done from the MCP)
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

perfumer
Banned
663 posts since 4 Oct, 2018

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:19 am

excuse me please wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:13 pm
Ok, I'm just a simple person. So I drag a wav file track into Reaper. The track clips above 0 dB and sounds crappy.
Now I drag the same track into Bitwig and the track nicely peaks at -10 dB. Sounds good as well.

One of you geniuses care to explain?
That's because you're a simple person.

Reaper handles file import 100% correctly. If you have some option enabled to 'normalize', or to compensate, or to boost with a predefined level - it didn't get enabled by itself. Someone did it, and that's most probably... you.

Make a test: download a fresh demo of Reaper, install it as a portable app in some folder, then run it with default settings and then import file.

excuse me please
KVRist
459 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:41 am

@perfumer

Ok. I have coincedentally actived/enabled 'some option somewhere.'

Please let me know how to perform such activity in Bitwig. Yes, I am using Bitwig since April 2014.

Passing Bye
KVRAF
1511 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:49 am

Tried to take my soul

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”