Why you left REAPER?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reaper was my second DAW after cubase, and using it felt like a Chore. There is people who like the customizable workflow, and that's great for them. I personally don't have time to invest in getting it right.
dedication to flying

Also, the UI sucks.
dedication to flying

Last edited by Kaya Orsan on Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ommmmmmmmmmmm

rod_zero wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:59 pm Also, the UI sucks.
Yeah, it just does. I've been looking at MPE compatible DAWs for a while since the two I've used the longest are not, (DP and Live), and Reaper is fantastic, and flawed in terms of UX. It's a PITA to set up, it's not visually easy to work with, and none of the Themes help that much. God bless all the mild coders who hack out themes for Reaper, but none of them are that good at it either. It's a constant compromise to use Reaper in terms of user interface experience compared to other DAWs, and it's dammed near impossible for me to imagine this will ever change because the fanbase is rigidly convinced it's not that bad, or even better than the rest, because, reasons.... :scared:

Forgotten wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 am Ommmmmmmmmmmm
nnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiissssphheeeeeeeeeeereeeeeeeeeee?

The "typical reaper newby question" goes like this:
Question: "I've installed Reaper. How can I record something?"
Answer: "Umm, wait: We could write a script for that!"
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

:)

The VLC developers are pretty similar to that. Question: "How do I do this and that in VLC?" Reply: "Well... VLC's source code is available, so... code that function yourself.". Mmh.. yeah... what if I can 't program though? Tough luck then, I guess.

Everyone is a scripter and a developer though. Sure sure.

To be fair, I don't see that too much in Reaper though. Reaper has a lot of functionality for beginners or more advanced users as well. The scripting is rather a bonus, for the chosen few who know how to do it, or can be arsed to learn how to do it. Fortunately, they don't make the same mistakes as those turds who think everyone is able to code.

There is the Cessna-comparison: Imagine all DAWs being
like a Cessna: You do a few checks, sit in and with a few
transparent operations you can take off - and have a
fantastic flight.

In this comparison Reaper is like a F-16 Falcon: You cannot
just climb into the cockpit and take off. No, you have to learn
all the instruments and switchter first, you have to take
lessons until you can fly such a jet fighter.

Reaper is like a F-16: After learning Reaper you can do things
much faster, but in all other DAWs you do things without learning
so much.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

I have a love-hate relationship with REAPER. It's basically a build-your-own DAW which I kind of enjoy and when you put in the effort to tweak it it can be amazingly fast to work in. At the same time it's just so frustrating sometimes and the more you fall down that customizing rabbit hole, the more you start noticing flaws and the user-made scripts can only cover so much. The lack of proper area selection is a big one for me.

I don't know, if I wasn't so used to the Ableton/Bitwig style of working with device chains I'd probably use REAPER as my main.

Still Reaper here , for record and everything else , love the fact that I can load X32 vst , vsti and DX plugins , but I would love if they change the media browser , make this more like studio one browser ... wishful thinking :pray:

fese wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:50 pm
The Grim wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:05 am One other thing you didn’t mention is the “REAPER ARMY”. You know, those missionary zealots who answer any question in any forum with “Have you tried reaper?” or “reaper can do that”, regardless of the relevance. Which is probably another similarity with the hardcore Linux evangelists. Feels like some sort of cult sometimes and makes me not want to use reaper ever...
:D :D :D

UI, as with every DAW save Tracktion. I just can't wrap my brain around why every track appears twice: horizontally at the top, and vertically at the bottom. Far better to use a rational DAW, one that doesn't cotton to this madness and waste of screen space.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Because I ended up customizing it to no end, producing little to no music, and it still wasn't right. Rinse and repeat...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

Jafo wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:42 pm UI, as with every DAW save Tracktion. I just can't wrap my brain around why every track appears twice: horizontally at the top, and vertically at the bottom. Far better to use a rational DAW, one that doesn't cotton to this madness and waste of screen space.
What the...? Have you tried hiding the mixer perhaps? :scared:

This is what it looks like for me:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”