Reason Block - the one function that makes all the difference

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:38 pmSonar does that on the fly iIrc, but I actually meant your 1) above. Can Reason do that?
Nope.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

jens wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:30 pm Now say you are not satisfied with the original two bar lick. It's what you started out with and the playing is a little sloppy.
If you replace it in the Block, this will affect all places this Block is being used in the Song.
I forgot to mention (and it may be not so obvious):

It will affect all places this Block is being used but not those places where you put clips on the same places in Song mode (because the Block content for that track is then not being used, because the Song mode has the higher priority). In other words: Blocks never overwrite Song content.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:35 pm you get what I meant :D
Yes, at first I was a bit unsure what you meant which is why I asked.

But actually in the case of Reason it would be great if clips that are added in Song mode could be used to generate a tempo map… I guess then you could solo the track you are recording to and concentrate on performing a proper transistion that includes the right feel.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

What would be even better is if you can have a separate tempo map for each track.

Your explanation of Blocks mode is great jens - I agree, its frustrating to see many folks in the thread not "get it". I guess you kinda have to use it to understand, its a little hard to rationalize.

Fun fact - I like Reason Blocks (and Maschine's song clips when I had the beta) so much that I started building a DAW based around this concept. Tracktion open sourced their DAW engine, I built a UI and arrangement mode with the idea of building blocks first, then layering clips on top. One day I might finish it...

eclipxe wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:45 pm Fun fact - I like Reason Blocks (and Maschine's song clips when I had the beta) so much that I started building a DAW based around this concept. Tracktion open sourced their DAW engine, I built a UI and arrangement mode with the idea of building blocks first, then layering clips on top. One day I might finish it...
You can layer clips on the top of Maschine? I've got 2.9.2 but I didn't realise it could do that! I don't use Maschine as much, and the reason because I thought you can't layer clips on the top.

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:06 pm
eclipxe wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:45 pm Fun fact - I like Reason Blocks (and Maschine's song clips when I had the beta) so much that I started building a DAW based around this concept. Tracktion open sourced their DAW engine, I built a UI and arrangement mode with the idea of building blocks first, then layering clips on top. One day I might finish it...
You can layer clips on the top of Maschine? I've got 2.9.2 but I didn't realise it could do that! I don't use Maschine as much, and the reason because I thought you can't layer clips on the top.
i'll have a look at the manual again ;) maybe I missed something!

Spring Goose wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:06 pm

No, you can't layer clips in Maschine - yet. It was in a beta 5 or 6 years ago (the screen shot above). I LOVED it. It worked so well for me. They removed it and scrapped the feature, to redo it. Apparently a new and improved version will be out soon-ish.

Exit, from the file menu... :-D
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

eclipxe wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:04 am No, you can't layer clips in Maschine - yet. It was in a beta 5 or 6 years ago (the screen shot above). I LOVED it. It worked so well for me. They removed it and scrapped the feature, to redo it. Apparently a new and improved version will be out soon-ish.
Ta. I can't see a screenshot.

jens wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:22 am
bmanic wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:28 pm egions" or "arrangements"? In fact, I'm struggling to think of a DAW that hasn't got this feature.
It's basically just a sort of grouping for stuff in the arrangement, making it easy to copy stuff and modify things with a single mouse click + drag instead of selecting hundreds of individual clips/things in the arrangement.

No, it certainly isn't only that at all.

Am I missing something here?

Yes, first of all the one function that makes all the difference, i.e. the very thing this thread is actually supposed to be about. ;-)

But besides that you seem to miss a lot more such as:

- if a "Block" gets changed, this change is reflected everywhere in the "Song" it is used.

- in the Song you can arbitrarily use only arbitrary sections of any given Block

- you can arbitrarly change any Block to any other Block in the Song at any point.

- and thanks to what this thread is about, you can even add Blocks where there's already
content (i.e. clips) on the timeline and when and where this is the case, the Block will be ignored.

- Blocks can have an unlimited (I think) number of lanes for each MIDI track, any everywhere a Block is used in the Song you can arbiitrarily mute any of them and this change won't be reflected in the other places the Block is used. I.e. Blocks can have variations for MIDI. (Unfortunately not for audio though and I don't know why).
Ah! I see. Cheers for the detailed information! Been trying to get my head around Reason 11 demo. Last time I used Reason was more than a decade ago so I'm a bit lost at the moment. :)
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

You didn't miss too much, it's still tiny non-scalable UI. Hell, some of the text looks too small even on a 1920x1080 non-HiDPI display :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”