Is Studio One the best alternative to Protools?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Somehow,after 10 years, i think,s1 failed to be the next standard
most relevant mix/mastering engineers still use protools.. in electronic/pop music ableton,logic,cubase,fl studio are by far most used daws.so despite the good price ,free updates,good workflow s1 is not up there and the old school cluttered daws still going pretty strong

FL Studio is the best

ecristian wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:55 am Somehow,after 10 years, i think,s1 failed to be the next standard
most relevant mix/mastering engineers still use protools.. in electronic/pop music ableton,logic,cubase,fl studio are by far most used daws.so despite the good price ,free updates,good workflow s1 is not up there and the old school cluttered daws still going pretty strong
Yeah I wonder this. What is the reason since it has easy and fast workflow and smart features that not to be found elsewhere. But somehow didn't find a place at the big table. I mean even version 1 was a joy to use after Logic 9

I have a feeling that it's mostly down to the interface.

I somehow think that we will see some big changes in that for version 5.

Anyway, it seems like, in regard of audio software, in general, it seems like a lot is also down to word of mouth, and what other people use, so, if everyone uses Cubase, Logic, or Pro Tools for mixing, other software will have a hard time catching people's attention.

antic604 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:39 am
chk071 wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:21 am Influencer powah!
Well, check the 3rd video - it's not all smooth sailing for him and he's open about it.
It seems that way. Id disagree with the guy though in that PT is not as compatible with 3rd party as other daws, especially fx plugins. Izotope dont run very well in PT, Trash2 and Stutter Edit dont run at all, not to mention many glitch fx plugins. In fact PT's crashes are mostly caused by incompatibility issues. AAX is shit!

During the most turbulant years with Avid I think I recall more folks on Avid forum went for Reaper rather than StudioOne.

Reaper is really light on resources, it's on both pc and mac etc.
And very versatile if you know what you want.

For beginner it's an uphill battle with Reaper.

Kinh wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:37 am I'm after a new mixing DAW. I've been reading studio one has good workflow. Also is it stable? as this is the reason I'm leaving PTs.
You will likely enjoy Studio One then. I used to use PT and I love the audio/editing/mixing in S1. It’s very intuitive and nearly every relevant PT tool was ported in some way.

Re stability what about PT is proving unstable for you? I’d really demo S1 to check stability, since stability often relies heavily on every persons individual collection of must-have third party plugins. Not that I’ve found S1 any less stable in PT, I’m just saying that some 3rd party related problems occur in both DAWs.

Honestly ignore the user complaining about them not updating version A after version B is released. Presonus makes it easy to download every point release so if at any point an update introduces a bug that affects your workflow you can easily roll back to the version you are used to. You can even have parallel installs hassle-free without duplicate library files etc. In that regard it was much easier than PT for me.

The reason there’s so many used copies on the KVR forums is because they run a few deep discount sales a year and KVR has a ton of users who are habitual DAW-switchers that think a new DAW will get them to finished/better music. The guy I sold my extra license to had bought and sold a couple different DAWs multiple times :|

Kinh wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:55 am Good point but the reason people ask the question first is because they dont have the time to demo, learning several daws at once from scratch + they have limited C drive space (in my case). It's just quicker to get a consensus so people can, in this case explain how it's similar to protools or whatever the question is
But, they obviously have enough time to read and write in this thread about other people's opinions on which DAW they should get and why, even without demoing it themselves. Makes perfect sense...

You don't need to overload your computer with multiple demos at the same time, you've got to try and outsmart the computer. :lol:

How else are you going to know if a certain piece of software runs on your specific and personally configured system? Hint: Demo
Last edited by burnt circuit on Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

For purely mixing, maybe try Mixbus.

burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:10 pm How else are you going to know if a certain piece of software runs on your specific and personally configured system? Hint: Demo
But, most importantly is if the workflow fits your style of creativity and technicality. The truly best way to find out is to demo and spend a few days to a week on each one, then decide.

Unless you don't know exactly what you're looking for, just something different then what you're currently using. Then maybe some opinions may help narrow your search, but never underestimate the power of researching it for yourself.

Unless you can truly trust another person's opinion, that always has your best interest in mind, and perfectly matches your life, preferences, needs, setup and goals...
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

Hi
For beginner it's an uphill battle with Reaper.
I have recently been demoing a bunch of daw's (I do this every now and again - also to see if it's worth upgrading any of the current versions of ones I already own).

I have always quite liked Reaper, but yes the simple test of getting a midi track up, loading a VSTI, creating a send track, loading up a send FX VST and doing some basic automation was just a nightmare!

To be fair I had the same experience with Ableton - Bitwig was a bit more intuitive - as was Studio 1.

Studio 1 did let down a bit with the mixer, setting up FX and generally being able to read the bloomin text was a pain!

Nothing compared with XTV2, but that is long gone and now I find Mixcraft just about the most intuitive DAW for the operations I have mentioned.

For the life of me I can't understand why DAW designers don't allow the relatively natural inclination of people to mouse click over an area of the GUI and then get a menu item that allows them to load a VSTI, insert a midi clip, open an automation layer or whatever (I know some of the DAWs mentioned do in varying degrees).

If the above IS the case (in some of the DAWs mentioned), then it must be hidden in a sub menu or be a process which needs to be set up via a preference.

original flipper wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:36 pm
Nothing compared with XTV2, but that is long gone
it still works.

I am using it right now.

As long as it keeps working I will carry on using it.

You might want to ask that at Gearslutz, there are probably more people still working with Pro Tools ;)

But I can't imagine anyone switching from a mature DAW like Pro Tools to Bitwig or Reaper, for example. I would probably choose the DAWs that have been around for a long time and are considered to be reasonably "mature" and with similar or more/better features. Logic or Cubase would come to my mind... when it comes to producing electronic music, Ableton Life.

However, I also know of people who produce with Ableton and later e.g. mix / master with Logic.
So it doesn't have to be the one DAW that can do everything...

The way I see is that it really depends on what level of ProTools you are looking to replace. For mixing tracks, audio editing, etc S1 is one of the most ProTools like in certain areas. Things like Beat Detective etc still work better in ProTools.

However if you are using Pro Tools for tracking a large number sources with super low latency then nothing really touches Pro Tools in that respect imo because the whole ecosystem is built around that functionality.

Presonus does sell hardware and they do have some level of integration and low latency performance interfaces (see Quantum) but it's still nowhere near the same level imo as what AVID has going on.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Use what personally works best for you and your workflow. S1 is still light years ahead for my workflow. For every negative, I've found two positives.
I'm a fan of other daws, and at times may visit them, but S1, is still the workhorse for me.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”