Tracktion Waveform 11 PRO looks cool

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’ve never experienced the amount of crashes with any DAW as I have with Tracktion, except Sonar, now Cakewalk once again. But Cakewalk now finally seems stable. Very stable. Maybe there’s hope for Tracktion.

jonljacobi wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:08 am I’ve never experienced the amount of crashes with any DAW as I have with Tracktion, except Sonar, now Cakewalk once again. But Cakewalk now finally seems stable. Very stable. Maybe there’s hope for Tracktion.
Waveform crashes for me very randomly infininetely more than all other DAWs I´ve used...
It crashes regulary about every half an hour on completely random stuff... never the same crash twice... what has crashed Waveform a minute ago works now flawless again...

I can remember Reaper crashing once or twice in 4-5 years, S1 perhaps a bit more often but as well very rarely and FLS (if not beta) in about the same region like Reaper...
Bitwig runs very stable as well as Ableton if not using too much M4L...

The here mentioned DAWs never crash completely to the desktop neither like Waveform does...
Waveform just poooof and disappears while the other if it happens show an error message and often you can save your work and even continue to work...

This is like working with a computer in 1995 vs nowadays...

It was the same situation for Ableton 8 back in the days... it was crashing like hell...

Luckily the Ableton devs understood and sat down stopping everything else to make the programm rock solid again which really worked out...

All i wait for is F´em.....

I downloaded Waveform 11 Free to give it a test drive, now that it seems that I am going to be quarantined forever, and just for starters I am having a lot of problems with the external hardware configuration. I am using a MOTU Midiexpress XT that has been working perfectly forever with Cakewalk, Ableton, and Reaper, but for some reason Waveform loses the input device sometimes, insists in sending notes to the clock sync port unless I disable it, I get missing notes, unexpected latency and so on. A mess.

I want to believe that I am missing something, but midi configuration has been always pretty straightforward in the rest of DAWs, and I am not exactly a newby, so I do not know what to think. A thing that I am not liking at the moment is that it seems not possible to use more than one midi input device for a track at the same time. So I cannot, for example, have a pad controller, my iPad with Lemur (I use LoopMIDI, I haven´t tested yet) and a keyboard pointing to the same track. I had a good look at the User´s Guide last night, but it seems that it is missing lots of things.

Does anyone have a good experience with Waveform with a hardware setup?

Hi... I'm new here.
Today 14 May 2020 I've just downloaded Waveform 11 FREE from Tracktion website.
My computer is connected to Yamaha PSR640 keyboard via USB midi cable.

In Waveform Audio Device setup:
Audio Device Type : Windows Audio
Output : (my PC monitor speaker)
Input : the mic attached to the onboard soundcard (Realtek HD Audio)
Output 1+2 enabled as default WAVE output
Input 1 is enabled as default WAVE input

In Wafeform Midi Device setup :
Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is enabled as the default MIDI output.
USB2.0-MIDI is enabled as the default MIDI input.

I create a new project, and on the "Preset" list, I choose "4OSC:Alpad2".
When I hit the key on the PSR, I hear the sound of the preset I choose comes out from the computer.

What I've tried so far is right click track-1. Choose USB2.0-MIDI for the input in track-1 then I start to record by playing the PSR. Track-1 now has the midi data I played on the PSR. Then on the most left of the track-1, I click the speaker icon and choose "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth", the speaker icon now change to a midi plug icon. Then I playback the recording, and the sound of Microsoft Synth comes out from my computer.

I wonder how do I get the recording playback with the preset I choose (in this case, I choose "4OSC:Alpad2").

Is it in the recording session ?
So I need to do a setup before do the recording in order the recorded track has the preset sound I choose.

Or is it in the playback session ?
So the recording step I mentioned above is already correct, but then I need to do something after the recording in order the recorded track has the preset sound I choose.

In other words, how do I record the preset sound via my play on PSR ?

I have tried to search on the internet, but I can't get the result which suitable to my question.

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advanced.

PS:
I'm sorry for my broken English and I'm sorry if this question is not appropriate to put in this thread.

In case it needed, this is my computer spec:
Windows 10 64bit, Mobo Gigabyte A320M, Ryzen 5 2400G, RAM 8gb.

Edit:
After looking around a bit, I found a button "Master Plugin" and when I click it, it say "Drop Master Plugin here". So I drag the "4OSC:Alpad2" preset to that button, but it always return to the preset list box.

And then I found an icon which looks like an upload icon, but it turn out it expand the lower interface to show the selected track setup (track-1 in this case). There I also found a box with text "Drop Master Plugin here", so I drag the "4OSC:Alpad2" preset to that box, and this time it works.

So I change the the midi plug icon back into speaker icon by selecting "Default Audio Output", now I get the sound of "4OSC:Alpad2" preset when I playback the recorded track.

So, my question is answered.
I don't know whether I have to delete this post or just leave it here.
Please advice me. Thank you.

karmapala wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:32 pm After looking around a bit, I found a button "Master Plugin" and when I click it, it say "Drop Master Plugin here". So I drag the "4OSC:Alpad2" preset to that button, but it always return to the preset list box.

And then I found an icon which looks like an upload icon, but it turn out it expand the lower interface to show the selected track setup (track-1 in this case). There I also found a box with text "Drop Master Plugin here", so I drag the "4OSC:Alpad2" preset to that box, and this time it works.

So I change the the midi plug icon back into speaker icon by selecting "Default Audio Output", now I get the sound of "4OSC:Alpad2" preset when I playback the recorded track.
There is a dedicated Tracktion forum here: viewforum.php?f=22

The "Drop Master Plugins Here" area is for final mastering plugins, for example mastering EQ and/or limiter. Everything from the tracks will make its way through that area, so I guess it kind of works to put a synth there. Until you try to add a second synth. Then it will stop working.

Waveform has a left-to-right flow for tracks that I find easy to work with. MIDI or audio comes in on the left, gets saved into the middle, goes out through the right. So for a synth plugin receiving MIDI data, you put the plugin (eg 4OSC) on the track in the section on the right. It comes before any effect / volume / pan plugins.

By the way, where is the Master Plugin button that you mention clicking on?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Hi pough,
pough wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:44 pmThere is a dedicated Tracktion forum here: viewforum.php?f=22
Thanks for letting me know about this.
The "Drop Master Plugins Here" area is for final mastering plugins, for example mastering EQ and/or limiter. Everything from the tracks will make its way through that area, so I guess it kind of works to put a synth there. Until you try to add a second synth. Then it will stop working.
I didn't know that until I read your explanation. Thanks for the explanation about this.
Waveform has a left-to-right flow for tracks that I find easy to work with. MIDI or audio comes in on the left, gets saved into the middle, goes out through the right. So for a synth plugin receiving MIDI data, you put the plugin (eg 4OSC) on the track in the section on the right. It comes before any effect / volume / pan plugins.
Just now I do your instruction. Yes, it worked. I understand now that I should put the preset on the track (not in the Master Plugin box), just before the volume/pan, meter, mute/solo. Thanks to you.
By the way, where is the Master Plugin button that you mention clicking on?
It's here : (before I click the expand icon on the most left).
2020-05-15_21-31-04.png
Thank you once again, pough.
Really appreciate it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I've upgraded from tracktion 7 to Waveform 11 and now I've bought the pro version for $120.00
All the plugins are great but the package itself isn't brilliant.
I'm not happy with it as my recordings aren't stable and start distorting in the middle of the recording. I've tried Audacity as well as Tracktion 7 for similar recordings - no distortion or issues what so ever!!!!!
It's not my pc as I just bought top of the range PC with more than enough memory and everything.
Please give me a solution or I'm asking my money back...

JoseC. wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:32 pm I downloaded Waveform 11 Free to give it a test drive, now that it seems that I am going to be quarantined forever, and just for starters I am having a lot of problems with the external hardware configuration. I am using a MOTU Midiexpress XT that has been working perfectly forever with Cakewalk, Ableton, and Reaper, but for some reason Waveform loses the input device sometimes, insists in sending notes to the clock sync port unless I disable it, I get missing notes, unexpected latency and so on. A mess.

I want to believe that I am missing something, but midi configuration has been always pretty straightforward in the rest of DAWs, and I am not exactly a newby, so I do not know what to think. A thing that I am not liking at the moment is that it seems not possible to use more than one midi input device for a track at the same time. So I cannot, for example, have a pad controller, my iPad with Lemur (I use LoopMIDI, I haven´t tested yet) and a keyboard pointing to the same track. I had a good look at the User´s Guide last night, but it seems that it is missing lots of things.

Does anyone have a good experience with Waveform with a hardware setup?
Just click on the input and tell it how many inputs you want on that track and then load them. 2-3 inputs is no problem.

Latency compensation is a shortcoming of Waveform. I only have 2 hardware synths and I get along fine enough by manually dragging things after recording. More complex setups... I’d probably be forced to look elsewhere.

As for the DAW in general, it’s outside the mainstream. I can’t stand using any other DAW in comparison for production (I’ve switched to mixbus 32c for mixing and mastering) - others are way over complicated, and some are just horrendous looking out of the box, all gray and with tiny fonts.

v11 is definitely less prone to crashing than v10 thanks to the sandbox. Since Waveform isn’t a popular DAW, plugin makers (even “big” ones) don’t test against it, which results in plugin bugs crashing Waveform. Plugins are the cause of crashing the vast majority of time. Doesn’t mean it isn’t annoying.

Ixinix wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:00 pm I've upgraded from tracktion 7 to Waveform 11 and now I've bought the pro version for $120.00
I'm not happy with it as my recordings aren't stable and start distorting in the middle of the recording. I've tried Audacity as well as Tracktion 7 for similar recordings - no distortion or issues what so ever!!!!!
It's not my pc as I just bought top of the range PC with more than enough memory and everything.
This is nonsense. Waveform itself is not causing distortion in your recordings. It could possibly be a plugin that is behaving differently than in other hosts. Waveform 11 records audio essentially the same as any other DAW. It could be that you need to increase the buffer size of the audio driver.
'He craved immortality so much, he was prepared to die for it.'

operandx wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:27 pm
Ixinix wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:00 pm I've upgraded from tracktion 7 to Waveform 11 and now I've bought the pro version for $120.00
This is nonsense. Waveform itself is not causing distortion in your recordings. It could possibly be a plugin that is behaving differently than in other hosts. Waveform 11 records audio essentially the same as any other DAW. It could be that you need to increase the buffer size of the audio driver.
Operandix, there's no plugins enabled when recording and I'm using the same plugins I had before I upgraded to Waveform Pro, so that's not causing it.
I've fiddled around with it a little more and followed your advice Operandix and doing further testing.
I just don't get it why i'm not getting this distorted sound for a few seconds in the recording from time to time only in Waveform and I never had it in Tracktion 7 or Audacity etc.
So sorry if I sounded harsh, but it's wrecking my brain...

Ixinix wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:43 pm Operandix, there's no plugins enabled when recording and I'm using the same plugins I had before I upgraded to Waveform Pro, so that's not causing it.
I've fiddled around with it a little more and followed your advice Operandix and doing further testing.
I just don't get it why i'm not getting this distorted sound for a few seconds in the recording from time to time only in Waveform and I never had it in Tracktion 7 or Audacity etc.
So sorry if I sounded harsh, but it's wrecking my brain...
That's not a problem I've heard of before, so my suggestion would be to take it to the dedicated Tracktion forum and also the Tracktion support. You'll have more Waveform users checking it out.

I know it's very frustrating when something like this occurs but little can be done without more details like posting screenshots of the edit and settings, video of the process, audio samples of the distortion, etc.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

a review has been added to https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... 1-Pro.html if somebody missed it
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

🦉 I'm not currently tempted to upgrade to Waveform 11 Pro. Does anybody know if Waveform 11 Free is more powerful than Waveform 9?

They got a 40% of sale July 4th today only .

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”