Logic Pro X Update around the corner? (with screenshot)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

An Apple event has been rumoured to take place on Tuesday March 31st. Not confirmed, though.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/apple-event/

Can't wait for this feature.

That said, I hope it doesn’t become a bloated CPU hog like Live. Of the older DAWs, Logic is still the most CPU-efficient. I know Reaper is better in this regard, but the stock instruments and effects are the best by a wide margin.

Of what benefit is this to the current workflow? Just looks like bloat to me.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Than it's just the unnecessary bloat, what difference does it make if you don't see any purpose in that workflow, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Oops
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

masterhiggins wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:30 pm That said, I hope it doesn’t become a bloated CPU hog like Live. Of the older DAWs, Logic is still the most CPU-efficient. I know Reaper is better in this regard, but the stock instruments and effects are the best by a wide margin.
You DO understand that having a clip launcher, which means order of playback & effects can change at ANY time, means that DAWs like Live, Bitwig, to some extent Reason; cannot afford to pre-buffer stuff because it's dynamic and unpredictable? Therefore they can't run the same amount of VSTs Logic, Cubase or Reaper can, where the outcome is "set in stone" except for the currently armed track. On top of clip launcher, such DAWs have layered instruments & FX chains, MIDI sequencers, internal modulation systems that can be - often randomly! - switched between or mixed, so every time you play it can be (slightly, or completely) different.

They aren't "CPU hogs". They have certain DSP profile & engineering approach dictated by what they're meant to do and how they meant to operate in real-time.

The fact you're using a derogative term implying some degree of incompetence on the devs' part simply means you've no clue what you're talking about. It's like being mad at a Ferrari that it got stuck in the middle of the forest whereas Jeep didn't. Both Ferrari and Jeep are cars after all, so should perform the same... :dog:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I think you’re reading way too much into his post. He just said he hopes it doesn’t become a CPU hog...

masterhiggins wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:30 pm That said, I hope it doesn’t become a bloated CPU hog like Live. Of the older DAWs, Logic is still the most CPU-efficient. I know Reaper is better in this regard, but the stock instruments and effects are the best by a wide margin.
Actually, I think that Digital Performer, which is older than Logic, outperforms it in that chapter now (most CPU-efficient). And even Digital Performer is now Mac and Windows. Logic is the only DAW that locks you on a single platoform.

And REAPER, althoug not "an older DAW" (why is that significant?) clearly outperforms anything else.

BTW: It seems the event didn't happen, after all.
Fernando (FMR)

Last graph I saw on CPU efficiency rated Logic the best on a Mac. If these tools are to be included in Logic, I expect they'll be efficient, and probably can be checked/unchecked in the advanced tools menu.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:33 pm Last graph I saw on CPU efficiency rated Logic the best on a Mac.
Was it made by Apple? Because I find it hard to believe it beats REAPER and Digital Performer now. When was it?
Fernando (FMR)

Last year sometime after I bought Cubase 10. That came off poorly in CPU efficiency.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Anyone have any numbers or we are just throwing opinions as facts?

antic604 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:54 am
You DO understand that having a clip launcher, which means order of playback & effects can change at ANY time, means that DAWs like Live, Bitwig, to some extent Reason; cannot afford to pre-buffer stuff because it's dynamic and unpredictable? Therefore they can't run the same amount of VSTs Logic, Cubase or Reaper can, where the outcome is "set in stone" except for the currently armed track. On top of clip launcher, such DAWs have layered instruments & FX chains, MIDI sequencers, internal modulation systems that can be - often randomly! - switched between or mixed, so every time you play it can be (slightly, or completely) different.

They aren't "CPU hogs". They have certain DSP profile & engineering approach dictated by what they're meant to do and how they meant to operate in real-time.

The fact you're using a derogative term implying some degree of incompetence on the devs' part simply means you've no clue what you're talking about. It's like being mad at a Ferrari that it got stuck in the middle of the forest whereas Jeep didn't. Both Ferrari and Jeep are cars after all, so should perform the same... :dog:
:clap:

Lighten up, Francis. I do realize they’re geared for and optimized for different workflows. I’m just saying I like Logic for its current purpose and workflow and don’t want its performance to suffer simply because some kids don’t want to fire up Live or Bitwig for their clip-launching.

I hope I didn’t develop carpal tunnel after clutching your pearls with such vigor. :lol:

fmr wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:05 pmAnd REAPER, althoug not "an older DAW" (why is that significant?) clearly outperforms anything else.
Because it’s MIDI implementation is unrivaled in comparison to newer DAWs with afterthought piano roll lip service.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”