Logic Pro X Update around the corner? (with screenshot)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Logic Pro

v1o wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:28 am
Passing Bye wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:36 am Than it's just the unnecessary bloat, what difference does it make if you don't see any purpose in that workflow, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Just bolting on clip launching isn't necessarily going to be of much benefit. Big(t)wig and Ableton were designed from the ground up for clip based sequencing and launching. Cakewalk and Digital Performer are examples of traditional DAWS that added clip launchers with mixed success. It's like when DAW's try adding DJ'ing features, you're still much better off using dedicated software like Traktor or Serato.
Clip launching workflow isn't exclusively for live performing, but if you don't have purpose for it than it's pointless talking about it, on other hand, using two DAW's just because of one or few features in another is unnecessary in my book, enough people actually do just that and they are welcoming the opportunity to drop one of them, myself included.

jonljacobi wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:18 am I'd like to see the look of all the instruments updated and unified. And an exclusive arm function. And either update the environment or get rid of it.
FYI: FTFY.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

v1o wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:30 am
apoclypse wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:07 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:24 pm The things I would like to see added/improved in Logic...

ability to easily use multiple controllers
some basic modulation options that can directly modulate parameters

Logic is overall pretty great
This. I hate having to go to the environment in-order to assign another controller to a specific channel.

If we are going to have to do that at least give the environment some love.
The Environment needs a major redesign to bring it up to 2020 standards.
2020? I’d be happy with it being brought up to 2010 standards.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

fmr wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:05 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:30 pm That said, I hope it doesn’t become a bloated CPU hog like Live. Of the older DAWs, Logic is still the most CPU-efficient. I know Reaper is better in this regard, but the stock instruments and effects are the best by a wide margin.
Actually, I think that Digital Performer, which is older than Logic, outperforms it in that chapter now (most CPU-efficient). And even Digital Performer is now Mac and Windows. Logic is the only DAW that locks you on a single platoform.

And REAPER, althoug not "an older DAW" (why is that significant?) clearly outperforms anything else.

BTW: It seems the event didn't happen, after all.
It's a thread about logic. We don't need you to tell us it's Mac only. Sounds like a feature to me.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:24 pm The things I would like to see added/improved in Logic...ability to easily use multiple controllers
Just let me select a MIDI controller and port, instead of just MIDI channel in software instruments for chrissakes! They fix this and add in Clip launching like it looks like they are, then I'm back in Logic. In any other DAW, whether MPE capable or not, I can set up the MPK88 to a track, and bounce between MPE tracks with the Roli, that's Environment work in Logic...

machinesworking wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:09 am
pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:24 pm The things I would like to see added/improved in Logic...ability to easily use multiple controllers
Just let me select a MIDI controller and port, instead of just MIDI channel in software instruments for chrissakes! They fix this and add in Clip launching like it looks like they are, then I'm back in Logic. In any other DAW, whether MPE capable or not, I can set up the MPK88 to a track, and bounce between MPE tracks with the Roli, that's Environment work in Logic...
And if it defaults to omni ports, nothing changes for users like myself who don’t have an issue right now.

+1, I say.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

machinesworking wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:09 am
Yup

Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:26 am
... at least give the environment some love.
Yeah. I used Logic Pro until v9, and the last time I saw the Environment touched was like Logic 5, maybe :hihi: (and even that was just about the mixer, which by then was part of the environment. Nothing else)

And what about multitimbral instruments, like Kontakt? We had to hack the hell out of Logic to be able to use a Multi in Kontakt. Is that fixed now?

Logic pioneered the "virtual instrument track", but OTOH lack the possibility to instantiate an instrument track and route plain MIDI tracks to it directly on the arrangement.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:06 am
Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:26 am
... at least give the environment some love.
Yeah. I used Logic Pro until v9, and the last time I saw the Environment touched was like Logic 5, maybe :hihi: (and even that was just about the mixer, which by then was part of the environment. Nothing else)

And what about multitimbral instruments, like Kontakt? We had to hack the hell out of Logic to be able to use a Multi in Kontakt. Is that fixed now?

Logic pioneered the "virtual instrument track", but OTOH lack the possibility to instantiate an instrument track and route plain MIDI tracks to it directly on the arrangement.
This only became an issue in LPX. Before LPX this was pretty straightforward. There is still a way to do it but it's not as obvious as LP9. Track > Other > New Track with Same Instrument or Ctrl + Shft + Return. Then assign the desired channel.

Then you can use Articulation sets to send different channel data to the main instrument. So I create an Articulation set with all 16 midi channels.Then I can have each region just send to a different channel or even do it on the same region.

Then in the plugin you can choose the articulation set in the drop down on top if you want to change channels if you use a controller, or just make sure the track is set to All in the Channel settings and change the channel on your controller.
It's bit clunky but not impossible.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

revvy wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:38 am It's a thread about logic. We don't need you to tell us it's Mac only. Sounds like a feature to me.
it's really not. cross-platform compatibility in general makes life much easier for collaborators.

apoclypse wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:10 pm
fmr wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:06 am I used Logic Pro until v9, and the last time I saw the Environment touched was like Logic 5, maybe :hihi: (and even that was just about the mixer, which by then was part of the environment. Nothing else)

This only became an issue in LPX. Before LPX this was pretty straightforward. There is still a way to do it but it's not as obvious as LP9. Track > Other > New Track with Same Instrument or Ctrl + Shft + Return. Then assign the desired channel.

Then you can use Articulation sets to send different channel data to the main instrument. So I create an Articulation set with all 16 midi channels.Then I can have each region just send to a different channel or even do it on the same region.

Then in the plugin you can choose the articulation set in the drop down on top if you want to change channels if you use a controller, or just make sure the track is set to All in the Channel settings and change the channel on your controller.
:-o :-o :-o :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

it's really not that much of a hassle tbh :)

fmr wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:07 pm
apoclypse wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:10 pm
fmr wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:06 am I used Logic Pro until v9, and the last time I saw the Environment touched was like Logic 5, maybe :hihi: (and even that was just about the mixer, which by then was part of the environment. Nothing else)

:-o :-o :-o :lol: :lol: :lol:
I made it a bit more complex than it actually is just for those who like to use the Piano Roll versus just using a midi controller. Otherwise just Ctrl-Shift-Return to create new tracks for the instrument then change channels on the controller.

I've been using multi-timbral instruments in Logic since Kore. Multi-timbral instruments were never really that complicated in Logic past LP8.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:19 amI've been using multi-timbral instruments in Logic since Kore. Multi-timbral instruments were never really that complicated in Logic past LP8.
It's not a total horror show, but compared to any other DAW on my system, it is.
It's 100% dead easy in everything else.

It's equivalent to setting up MPE devices in Live. The best way is with a script someone wrote and if you don't do it every day it's back to looking up what the script is to set it up. You do it all the time and it's muscle memory.

fmr wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:05 pm Logic is the only DAW that locks you on a single platoform.
Magix Samplitude.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”