Cubase Elements or Artist?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

zerocrossing wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:52 pm
antic604 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:29 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:45 am...I’m hoping for a stable DAW to run plugins and control external hardware synths...
So why would you choose Cubase? :shrug:
Ever since last fall I’ve been having ongoing problems getting Bitwig to send MIDI out.
Oh, I wasn't suggesting Bitwig specifically. I just have a very bad experience with Cubase in general, with VSTs getting "lost" for no reason in blacklist or straight up hanging completely. For me, Cubase is the wonkiest, most unstable DAW I have.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Cubase Artist... no lanes or side band compression in Elements. See comparisons below.

https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:03 am
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:52 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:45 am...I’m hoping for a stable DAW to run plugins and control external hardware synths...
Ever since last fall I’ve been having ongoing problems getting Bitwig to send MIDI out.
Oh, I wasn't suggesting Bitwig specifically. I just have a very bad experience with Cubase in general, with VSTs getting "lost" for no reason in blacklist or straight up hanging completely. For me, Cubase is the wonkiest, most unstable DAW I have.
not for the discussion what is best DAW, bitwig seems to me a great DAW, don't own it. but the features are great. so bitwig is a good choice.

in the latest version of cubase (i have cubase pro 10.5.12), the blacklist problems are gone. in my case it is the most stable DAW... but that is my personal experience. it depends on the plugins you have, system instability, etc.
yes there were bugs, as always with steinberg, in the end they are solved. some users have still problems, i don't have those problems.

in the end is what you need, like, budget, etc.

EDIT: if you can afford, go for pro, if you want cubase.
for EDU versions there is a discount, that also applies to disabled persons, as they call it, in percentage they calculate it, as in my country, more than 50%. (i found this when i bought cubase, and because yes i am a so called disabled person, highest percentage in my country..)

Although I mainly use Studio One, Cubase performs much better and stable on my two Mac systems. Not crashed more than a couple of times compared to often sudden poofs of S1

andypryce wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:25 am
Although I mainly use Studio One, Cubase performs much better and stable on my two Mac systems. Not crashed more than a couple of times compared to often sudden poofs of S1
Obviously anecdotal, but my experience is reverse - I use S1 more and I don't recall it crashing on me, whereas the few times I installed and played with Cubase it would crash or freeze often. Perhaps I just can't use it properly or there's something in my setup.
Music tech enthusiast

Or... it's the difference between using Studio One on Mac OS and on Windows. :) I read more than once now that Studio One is a bit unstable on Macs.

chk071 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 am Or... it's the difference between using Studio One on Mac OS and on Windows. :) I read more than once now that Studio One is a bit unstable on Macs.
Oh, that might be. I'm considering getting the new Macbook Air as a 'family laptop' so I'll finally see how DAWs work - or don't work, in this case - on the OSX :D
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:59 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:56 am Or... it's the difference between using Studio One on Mac OS and on Windows. :) I read more than once now that Studio One is a bit unstable on Macs.
Oh, that might be. I'm considering getting the new Macbook Air as a 'family laptop' so I'll finally see how DAWs work - or don't work, in this case - on the OSX :D
My observation as well that it is better on Windows

I keep thinking about upgrading to Artist as I have Elements. I bought Elements to dabble in as it was on sale and I wanted to check out Halion. I already owned Logic and Ableton Live. My issues with Cubase are that the GUI is not scalable for my poor eyesight and I am having audio output problems with Elements. Does Artist give options for larger fonts, etc.?

I think it is the same as Elements in that regard.

HTT wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:39 pm I keep thinking about upgrading to Artist as I have Elements. I bought Elements to dabble in as it was on sale and I wanted to check out Halion. I already owned Logic and Ableton Live. My issues with Cubase are that the GUI is not scalable for my poor eyesight and I am having audio output problems with Elements. Does Artist give options for larger fonts, etc.?
In terms of GUI it is the same, but Artist is much closer to Pro than Elements is to Artist. Especially in terms of MIDI work, you have MIDI plug-ins in Artist, for example, which you don't have in Elements. You also have the List Editor (event list) again absent in Elements. Just these two alone are already a big advantage. You also have several more audio features in Artist. Elements is great to learn Cubase, to make sure that Cubase is your thing, but once you are decided, Artist will give you a much better experience.
Fernando (FMR)

Thanks for your insight. Padshop 2 calls to me also. I understand that Padshop is included with Artist. 🧐 I was play around with Elements a bit more and maybe email Steinberg about upgrade/crossgrade pathways.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”