Universal Audio LUNA is available to download

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use Cubase, Ableton Live, Reason, FL Studio. I have a PC desktop with a Apollo Twin and a Mac Book Pro rig with a Apollo Arrow Thunderbolt. I have many UAD plugins that can be transferred between both systems and the plugins are usable on both platforms PC/Mac and in any of my DAWs.

I was interested in LUNA when it was announced but now, not so much.

LUNA is only on Mac so far, later to be released for PC. LUNA was released early with known bugs and limits, UAD has clearly stated this.

LUNA also was to be released with features included for free, but it seems that those functions are modules within LUNA that can only be used in LUNA and cost additional money - and cannot be used in other DAWs. deal breaker right there for me.

LUNA requiring iLok isn't that big a deal until you realize that it requires physical dongle iLok or iLok cloud - no iLok local computer - again this is a deal breaker for me as my Mac only has limited ports and having the Arrow taking 1 port and the iLoc another port on a Mac Laptop sort of defeats the purpose of the computer being portable. I can move my iLok licenses between computers fast and the plugins supported are installed on each computer. it just works. with LUNA it's an additional step/hassle for me. again just a deal breaker for me.

Many of the UAD plugins are limited in features compared to similar plugins by 3rd party plugins, and they cost a bit more too. example is AutoTune UAD vs regular AutoTune suite.

So I am a UAD user with 2 interfaces and buy their plugins and am seem like the ideal user for LUNA but UAD just really screwed this up for me and I won't be investing in time and money with LUNA.

Such a shame UAD could have marketed this to us UAD customers better like offering cheaper bundles of plugins that work with LUNA and include the free standing plugins or special discounts etc. to get us more invested or lured into buying with a better approach, as it stands right now - I ain't touching LUNA and am actually looking into other 3rd party plugins more than the UAD products.

What I find interesting is that the instruments like the Mini Moog dont run on the DSP. I'm sure there are many that love to take some load off their DAWs by running synths with DSP. Like they did with the Powercore Access Virus or Creamware. Is that an admission of defeat by UAD? Final confirmation that general purpose multi core processors are more powerful.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

There are long threads at GearSlutz regarding LUNA , nobody seems really happy abut the release.

Long ago when I bought my Focusrite 24 it came with Ableton Lite LE, I bought a Steinberg interface and it came with Cubase 5 LE.

I think LUNA is primarily designed for new Apollo interface purchasers so that they have a DAW out of the box and can start working. As it is now when you buy a UAD interface there's nothing but a coupon for some plugins and the interface. So a new UAD customer would have to buy a DAW or use Garageband on a mac. I think that's who LUNA is marketed for.

rasmusklump wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:18 am
v1o wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:10 am 80+ views and no responses. Looks like no ones gives a flying .....

Who the hell wants a DAW that's locked to some specific audio interface?
AND in addition needs an Ilok Dongle or permanent online access....
Yeah and while Luna may appear free, it's a bit deceptive IMO, to get the most out of Luna you have to invest heavily into the UAD ecosystem. Just the Mini Moog and piano instruments each cost 300 bucks. UAD effects plugins typically have 3 figure prices. You could buy a decent DAW program and copy of Komplete Start for less than that kind of money.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Wasn't the Minimoog initially advertised as included free?

What's about this about outdated technology that UAD has? Steve Slate kinda a took a dig at that.

rmacattack wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:43 am What's about this about outdated technology that UAD has? Steve Slate kinda a took a dig at that.
The Sharc dsp chips used in UAD go all the way back to 90's.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

rmacattack wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:43 am What's about this about outdated technology that UAD has? Steve Slate kinda a took a dig at that.
Can you point me to this? I’d like to hear what he says.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”