Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

TvTooth wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:02 pm Is there any proper vst scan in studio one like in ableton? I havn't find any so I need to restart if I need to scan. It would be a nice.
Zrzut ekranu (45).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

TvTooth wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:02 pm Is there any proper vst scan in studio one like in ableton? I havn't find any so I need to restart if I need to scan. It would be a nice.
Yes, use the Plugin Manager window. Update Plugins, bottom right, no need to restart.

soulata wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:25 pm
EnGee wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:03 pm
Can you give an example please? Or general hint how to produce the timing errors in S1.

I'll try it today with my Casio keyboard although the last time I did, i didn't notice something wrong.
LEt's say I'm recording synths and piano/rhodes sounds using a metronome or while playing back prerecorded drums/bass. The usual situation.
I'm playing my stuff so it should land on a beat or be slightly behind the beat - I'm definetly not rushing.

Midi gets recorded. On playback everything I recorded on the keys sounds rushed. This would not be a problem if it's a fixed amount but it seems it's not really fixed. So - it messes with my groove really bad. Of course I can quantize or slightly move the track but I'm never sure if it's going to land exactly where I played it. This makes S1 unusable for me, except for really rough demos.

Audio's fine. I also like mixing in S1.

k
Thank you for the explanation. I'll try it today because Midi recording is essential for me. I haven't put attention in S1, but today I will try and report back (if I can).

I remember years ago I had such a problem with another host but the support couldn't replicate it. It happens only with external instrument (playback to trigger it). So, I sold it.

trancema wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 4:10 pm
antic604 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 am
chk071 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:22 pmI agree, I never heard a DAW included synth which is up to par with the best VSTi's out there.
I'd argue that Reason 10's Grain is on par and in many ways better / more innovative and definitely simpler than all of the granular VSTs I've seen. Furthermore Reason 11 Suite's Complex-1 easily rivals other semi-modular synths like Bazille, Aalto, etc.

https://youtu.be/Mb4EEWedQKM

https://youtu.be/XRbUrNEjbj4
I agree with antic604 and adding Logic's (Camel Audio) Alchemy to the list.
It is the most powerful synth included in any DAW, period. Also, Bitwig's Grid has enormous potential but it requires a lot of work, of course.
Yes, and Logic Sculpture too (as with Alchemy it surpasses third party plugins of its kind imho)

Also Live's Wavetable is amazing and easily up there with third party Wavetable synths.

soulata wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:25 pm
EnGee wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:03 pm
Can you give an example please? Or general hint how to produce the timing errors in S1.

I'll try it today with my Casio keyboard although the last time I did, i didn't notice something wrong.
LEt's say I'm recording synths and piano/rhodes sounds using a metronome or while playing back prerecorded drums/bass. The usual situation.
I'm playing my stuff so it should land on a beat or be slightly behind the beat - I'm definetly not rushing.

Midi gets recorded. On playback everything I recorded on the keys sounds rushed. This would not be a problem if it's a fixed amount but it seems it's not really fixed. So - it messes with my groove really bad. Of course I can quantize or slightly move the track but I'm never sure if it's going to land exactly where I played it. This makes S1 unusable for me, except for really rough demos.

Audio's fine. I also like mixing in S1.

k
Did you try to turn on input quantize in the record panel(Shift+Alt+R)?
It should help.

Stan Navi wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:23 am Did you try to turn on input quantize in the record panel(Shift+Alt+R)?
It should help.
If I want it quantized I'll do it after the recording. The point is to have midi as recorded (not quantized) to keep the feeling of the performance.

But this is impossible with S1 as it moves the recorded notes slightly ahead. If it was always 17ms ahead there's a tick box to nudge it automatically to the right place. But I'm suspecting it's not always so.

I did noticed something but I want to be 100% sure. However, the input quantization is not a good solution especially for human playing. I don't want robotic melodies! Nor randomly humanization function, because I can play it.
I also agree if there is a latency (sure there is), then it should delay all notes but not randomly.

I only can say that Ableton Live 10 is playing exactly how I record. I have, in addition to S1, Reaper 5.99 and Bitwig 3.1 installed. I'll compare with them as well.

Well, I can't be sure 100% but it might be just a bit ahead. Personally I'm not that affected, but I'm a slow player (means not a good player), so I really can't judge how that would be for a precise piano playing.

Anyway, do you mean like this "ahead"?
S1 midi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Only just got into S1 and I'm amazed, because I love the Piano Roll (a better Version of Ableton Live one), because of how useable it's on a trackpad <3

So far, I would wish for the note transformations to be applied in real time (Preview checkbox).
Ability to merge arrangment parts and make ghost parts unique.
RMS/Peak Combo Meter
LFO Modulation etc
Ableton Link integration
Retrospective Midi Capture

Don't need a Bitwig/Live style clip launcher yet.
Last edited by docbot on Mon May 25, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnGee wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:33 am Well, I can't be sure 100% but it might be just a bit ahead. Personally I'm not that affected, but I'm a slow player (means not a good player), so I really can't judge how that would be for a precise piano playing.

Anyway, do you mean like this "ahead"?

S1 midi.jpg
Yes.

EnGee wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:36 am I did noticed something but I want to be 100% sure. However, the input quantization is not a good solution especially for human playing. I don't want robotic melodies! Nor randomly humanization function, because I can play it.
I also agree if there is a latency (sure there is), then it should delay all notes but not randomly.

I only can say that Ableton Live 10 is playing exactly how I record. I have, in addition to S1, Reaper 5.99 and Bitwig 3.1 installed. I'll compare with them as well.
What do you mean robotic? If you play on time you should get notes on time. Ableton and Bitwig input quantize is turn on by default. That is why ableton record how you play.

Robotic means like a robot! If you have never played piano or learnt to play piano, then forget it!

Ableton and Bitwig they don't have quantize midi on by default! Where did you get that?

EnGee wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Robotic means like a robot! If you have never played piano or learnt to play piano, then forget it!

Ableton and Bitwig they don't have quantize midi on by default! Where did you get that?
Yeah I hope not!

EnGee wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:52 am Robotic means like a robot! If you have never played piano or learnt to play piano, then forget it!

If you never played with metronome and never know how to play on time, then forget.
Bitwig is definitelyhave it by default. You need to learn your software.
I play piano and know Studio One, Ableton enough to judge. They behave the same if input quantize turned off.

When is it useful to have quantise on when recording what you are playing?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”