Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

Aliens wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:00 am Version 4.6.2 Release Notes (June 3, 2020):
Please note: Studio One 4.6.x will be the final version supporting Windows 7 / 8 and macOS 10.11 El Capitan / 10.12 Sierra.
What this tells me is that 4.6.2 will be the final version before Studio One 5. It looks like they're tying up loose ends in anticipation of the next version, which is likely ready.

I will not be surprised if Studio One 5 comes out very soon.
Last edited by jamcat on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Maybe on my birthday lol

Thank you. I bought it, tried it, love it.

jamcat wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:17 pm
soulata wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:06 pm
jamcat wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:07 am CTC-1 is on sale for 50% off until the 7th. 8)

jamcat wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:33 pm Here is a link to a cool manual that explains the signal flow of the Mix FX that I found on the Presonus forum. 8)

Mix FX and Console Plugins Explained

I think the MixFX are one of the most underutilized, underhyped, and underappreciated features of Studio One.

Entire other DAWs like Harrison MixBus are built around this type of thing as their centerpiece and sole reason for existing. But Presonus is like :shrug:
How does it compare to Waves NLS?

k
Waves NLS seems to be just like Slate Digital VCC, which I have. These plugins essentially model channel strip behaviour and feed in some cross-talk across plugin instances. You can place the plugin where you want the cross-talk injected in each track's plugin chain (after ampsims, for example.) You are still mixing with your DAW's linear mix engine, though, as far as I can tell.

CTC-1 actually replaces Studio One's standard linear DAW mix engine with a non-linear analog summing model. Because it's integrated into Studio One itself, it can do things that normal summing plugins can't, like taking into account the proximity of the channels to each other when modeling crosstalk, and it removes the linear mix engine from the signal path completely, which is something normal plugins can't do. The CTC-1 process is layered, happening at various stages throughout the signal path. It's not just an effect, it's like a whole new mix.

I'm pretty happy with CTC-1. It does something profound and multi-dimensional to the mix on a very deep level. It just pumps everything up in the mix, making it more focused and present and in your face, but also more clarity, depth and cohesion and more "glued" together. I can just say it "finishes" the mix in a way that I've never been able to do with VCC or other standard plugins before. And it happens instantly when you load it in the Mix FX slot, no fussing about with loading a million plugins and routing them to a master mixbuss plugin. Also, the CPU hit from CTC-1 is surprisingly light compared to what Slate (and I assume Waves) does.

But, unlike Waves, Presonus doesn't give you an SSL model (WHY!?) They give you an EMI desk from Abbey Road (REDD), but not Mike Hedges' EMI desk from Abbey Road (TG12345 MK IV). Waves NLS is on sale for $29.99 right now, so just get them both and decide which you like best.

Direct comparisons of the Neve models (CTC-1 Classic vs. NLS Nevo) and EMI models (CTC-1 Tube vs. NLS Mike) would be interesting.
Thank you. I bought it, tried it, love it.

Yeh. I really wish S1 would do more with MixFX. I just bought CTC-1. I never bought it because at some point maybe two years ago Presonus gave it away for free to existing owners for about a week and I missed it by a day and was too pissed to buy it. LOL. At $40 bucks though, sure why not.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Here's a tip on how to use CTC-1 with ampsims.

Put your ampsim on your guitar track's audio channel, with any stompbox plugins, rack effects, and cab modeler chained in the inserts as you normally would. Think of this channel as the "real world" outside of the mixer.

Now route this channel to a BUS. Put your channel strip and/or mixer effects on the BUS. Think of this as the mixer channel your amp mic is going to.

Now turn Passthrough OFF on CTC-1 in your Main Out MixFX. This will exclude any audio channels that are routed to BUS channels, and include only the BUS channels and audio channels that are routed directly to the Main Out. This keeps crosstalk from other tracks out of your guitar amp. You don't want to hear ghost images of drums and vocals coming out of your guitar amp. That's weird. Doing this keeps that from happening.

If you have a drum submix BUS and you want each individual drum mic's audio channel to get CTC-1 treatment, put an instance of CTC-1 in the BUS MixFX as well, when Passthrough is OFF.

If, for example, you have several solo string channels going to a BUS to mix them as a group, DO NOT put CTC-1 on the group BUS. This will treat the group BUS with CTC-1 on the Main Out, but not the individual players' audio tracks. This will give the effect that all players were recorded together rather than separately when Passthrough is OFF.

Also note: FX channels don't Passthrough, so you can route an audio channel's output to an FX channel like you would a BUS, and take the source audio channel out of the CTC-1 process even with Passthrough ON (as long as you don't need to use an aux send on the part.) You won't need to load a CTC-1 instance on your drum submix BUS if you use this method with Passthrough ON.

What Passthrough does when active, specifically, is it disregards BUS channels, and applies CTC-1 to every audio channel directly, regardless of whether or not they are routed to a BUS.

When Passthrough is turned OFF, CTC-1 treats BUS channels like they are the originating source of all audio tracks that are routed to them, effectively walling off the source audio channels from CTC-1 at the BUS. FX channels always work like this, so an audio channel will be walled off when it is routed to an FX channel as its destination, but NOT when it is sent to an FX channel from a channel's Sends.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

fairlyclose wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:47 am
antic604 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:46 am
chk071 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:42 am Hmmm... cheaper upgrades? Now I'm really curious. :)
I'm guessing a grace period for free v5 for those that upgraded from official shop, rather than bought 2nd hand version :)
prescient chap :)
Hey, so what's up with that?
It's been over 2 months already.
Have they changed their plans?

:)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:31 am
fairlyclose wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:47 am
antic604 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:46 am
chk071 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:42 am Hmmm... cheaper upgrades? Now I'm really curious. :)
I'm guessing a grace period for free v5 for those that upgraded from official shop, rather than bought 2nd hand version :)
prescient chap :)
Hey, so what's up with that?
It's been over 2 months already.
Have they changed their plans?

:)
only a month and a half ! :) I must admit I am getting worried, although in my email I said I could wait til the end of the year if v5 had been put back because of the pandemic. That was when i got the reply to not bother and just get it now (early May). Although looking back on the email they said "should there be an update in the next few months I would be covered" which maybe I over-interpreted to mean there will be and update soon. But I have no idea how long their grace periods normally last and I really did get the impression from the email chain that a new version would come out soon enough for me to qualify
Either way it feels good to no longer be with Reaper as my main music program

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:36 amonly a month and a half ! :) I must admit I am getting worried, although in my email I said I could wait til the end of the year if v5 had been put back because of the pandemic. That was when i got the reply to not bother and just get it now (early May). Although looking back on the email they said "should there be an update in the next few months I would be covered" which maybe I over-interpreted to mean there will be and update soon. But I have no idea how long their grace periods normally last and I really did get the impression from the email chain that a new version would come out soon enough for me to qualify
Either way it feels good to no longer be with Reaper as my main music program
Lol, you're right - nowadays weeks feel like months :D Thanks! :tu:
Music tech enthusiast

fairlyclose wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:36 am they said "should there be an update in the next few months I would be covered" which maybe I over-interpreted to mean there will be and update soon.
That is how I read it too. I am fairly sure it was their way of saying that V5 is around the corner and you will be within the grace-period without actually saying it.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:10 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:36 am they said "should there be an update in the next few months I would be covered" which maybe I over-interpreted to mean there will be and update soon.
That is how I read it too. I am fairly sure it was their way of saying that V5 is around the corner and you will be within the grace-period without actually saying it.
I asked 'em today on Twitter - pretending I want to upgrade to Pro :hihi: - and they only said "just upgrade, it's on sale this month"

Sneaky bastards!!! :tantrum: :lol:
Music tech enthusiast

So many posts, anyone mention adding the function to chop event into equal parts like Logic has? Speed up feature too would be nice too.
Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory. - Penelope Grenoble O'Malley

djstatix wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:04 pm So many posts, anyone mention adding the function to chop event into equal parts like Logic has? Speed up feature too would be nice too.
You can split on the grid with a keyboard shortcut. Not totally the same but very similar in most cases

I just demoed 4 and am thinking of buying 5 when it comes out. I'm still using a 32-bit version of Cubase 4.5 - I was going with a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude, but after my last computer slowly and catastrophically died over a half-year period, saw this as an opportunity to future-proof my studio a bit and finally make the move into the world of SIXTY-FOUR BITS. Was assuming I would move to Ableton Live, but after demoing it and banging my head against it for a few weeks, have decided against it. I want something that is easy to use (for me) and has good native plugins, and Studio One for the most part seems to fit the bill.

Here are a few things I would love in Version 5:

1. Multiple outputs on the mixer. I'm used to using a few Kontakt instances with multiple outs, and most likely will continue to do so, as I have a feeling running 30 instances of either of the Studio One sampler instruments is not a good idea. Going off of that, a more robust set of features for the samplers to compete with Kontakt would be cool - mini versions of all of the native effects to create signal chains within the mixer would be a huge one for me (I do this in Kontakt a LOT).

2. Maybe midi learn on the pads for the drum sampler? They seem to be semi-random by default, which is annoying when using the piano roll (not drum mode) like I do. I'd prefer it just goes straight down the piano roll chromatically, and changing the note on the drum machine seems to be a massive pain (you actually have to type it in manually for each one). So just being able to click on the pad and change it to a midi note on my keyboard or padKontrol would save me a good hour of having to remap it (which hopefully saves as default!).

3. I love the dedicated EQ for each channel in Cubase - I know I can just add an EQ at some point on the signal path in S1, but I like the convenience of being able to tweak a channel along with its volume and panning.

4. A 32-bit VST bridger would be cool! But it sounds like for whatever reason that this is a massive undertaking for software developers, so sticking with jbridge isn't the worst thing.

5. More native instruments and effects. I use almost none of these in Cubase, and I've always been jealous of my colleagues who use Logic or Ableton Live and have a huge set of native plugins to work with and allow them to keep their third-party plugins down to a minimum. After multiple computer crashes over the past year, a billion installation discs and download links/accounts/passwords, outdated plugins (the last time I had money to spend on software was when I bought Cubase 4, over 10 years ago), e-licenser woes, etc. the less third-party stuff I need, the better. Having more good synths and effect options (I'm very picky with reverb, tape saturation, distortion, and lo-fi-ing especially) would be amazing to me.

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. Hoping Studio One 5 is great (and not too expensive)!

oneway wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:16 pm
djstatix wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:04 pm So many posts, anyone mention adding the function to chop event into equal parts like Logic has? Speed up feature too would be nice too.
You can split on the grid with a keyboard shortcut. Not totally the same but very similar in most cases
Kinda what im looking for on this video, not sure you can see it though.https://www.facebook.com/bt/videos/871426686601861/

The speed up with the curve is really cool too.
Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory. - Penelope Grenoble O'Malley

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”