Studio One Version 5.0 Predictions and Requests

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

djstatix wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:52 am [
Kinda what im looking for on this video, not sure you can see it <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">though.https://www.facebook.com/bt/videos/8714 ... 1861</span>/

The speed up with the curve is really cool too.
You can chop events like that in Studio one.
Only difference is you have to select the division and chop.
You can put divisions to keyboard shortcuts and do it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvyqf0egojyu4p6/S1.mov?dl=0

I bought v4 few months ago. In the mean time I've been just testing it, did nothing serious. All the hype about workflow didn't get to me that much.

What should be addresses in v5 (IMHO) is at least:
  • using MFX (midi VST) on the same track as VSTi
  • mouse modifiers. Now there are lots of CTRL, SHIFT, ALT combination + mouse, that does not modify the content in any alternative way (as in Reaper for example). I'd like completely exchange tools selection with modifiers as I find them cumbersome and unpractical
  • clip based automation
  • optionally clip based FX
SO4 does have a lot of nice tricks in its sleeve, but for me personally, things above are really important for my workflow. Now I'll just wait for SO5 and see what's new.

midiboss wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:37 amt]
  • clip based automation
Both of those are in already - look up "part automation" and "event FX" respectively:

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/A ... automation

https://s1manual.presonus.com/Content/E ... nt_Effects
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

midiboss wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:37 am I bought v4 few months ago. In the mean time I've been just testing it, did nothing serious. All the hype about workflow didn't get to me that much.

What should be addresses in v5 (IMHO) is at least:
  • using MFX (midi VST) on the same track as VSTi
  • mouse modifiers. Now there are lots of CTRL, SHIFT, ALT combination + mouse, that does not modify the content in any alternative way (as in Reaper for example). I'd like completely exchange tools selection with modifiers as I find them cumbersome and unpractical
  • clip based automation
SO4 does have a lot of nice tricks in its sleeve, but for me personally, things above are really important for my workflow. Now I'll just wait for SO5 and see what's new.
- yes, using midi fx in a simpler fashion would be great

- Have you explored the Smart Tool at all? It allows you to toggle a tool of your choice by holding Command/Ctrl. They may expand on this idea but generally they will likely stick to a tool-based workflow because they went so heavily into mouse modifiers for mixer/editor/event shortcuts once you dig into those deeper.

- This is sort of already there in a roundabout form, depending on what you want to do. It's called Part Automation. If you mean in the sense that FL Studio has it, yes that would be a great addition

- This called EventFX and it's not only there but very well implemented.

concealed identity wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:22 am I just demoed 4 and am thinking of buying 5 when it comes out. I'm still using a 32-bit version of Cubase 4.5 - I was going with a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude, but after my last computer slowly and catastrophically died over a half-year period, saw this as an opportunity to future-proof my studio a bit and finally make the move into the world of SIXTY-FOUR BITS. Was assuming I would move to Ableton Live, but after demoing it and banging my head against it for a few weeks, have decided against it. I want something that is easy to use (for me) and has good native plugins, and Studio One for the most part seems to fit the bill.

Here are a few things I would love in Version 5:

1. Multiple outputs on the mixer. I'm used to using a few Kontakt instances with multiple outs, and most likely will continue to do so, as I have a feeling running 30 instances of either of the Studio One sampler instruments is not a good idea. Going off of that, a more robust set of features for the samplers to compete with Kontakt would be cool - mini versions of all of the native effects to create signal chains within the mixer would be a huge one for me (I do this in Kontakt a LOT).

2. Maybe midi learn on the pads for the drum sampler? They seem to be semi-random by default, which is annoying when using the piano roll (not drum mode) like I do. I'd prefer it just goes straight down the piano roll chromatically, and changing the note on the drum machine seems to be a massive pain (you actually have to type it in manually for each one). So just being able to click on the pad and change it to a midi note on my keyboard or padKontrol would save me a good hour of having to remap it (which hopefully saves as default!).

3. I love the dedicated EQ for each channel in Cubase - I know I can just add an EQ at some point on the signal path in S1, but I like the convenience of being able to tweak a channel along with its volume and panning.

4. A 32-bit VST bridger would be cool! But it sounds like for whatever reason that this is a massive undertaking for software developers, so sticking with jbridge isn't the worst thing.

5. More native instruments and effects. I use almost none of these in Cubase, and I've always been jealous of my colleagues who use Logic or Ableton Live and have a huge set of native plugins to work with and allow them to keep their third-party plugins down to a minimum. After multiple computer crashes over the past year, a billion installation discs and download links/accounts/passwords, outdated plugins (the last time I had money to spend on software was when I bought Cubase 4, over 10 years ago), e-licenser woes, etc. the less third-party stuff I need, the better. Having more good synths and effect options (I'm very picky with reverb, tape saturation, distortion, and lo-fi-ing especially) would be amazing to me.

Wow, that's a lot of stuff. Hoping Studio One 5 is great (and not too expensive)!
Did you try Reason?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

ozinga wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:34 am
Kinda what im looking for on this video, not sure you can see it <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">though.https://www.facebook.com/bt/videos/8714 ... 1861</span>/

I still cant figure out how you do this! I see the video but i cant replicate this.

EDIT: SPLIT at grid? Seems to do it. Need a key command set for this! Thanks.
Takeoffs are optional, landings are mandatory. - Penelope Grenoble O'Malley

jens wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:16 am
concealed identity wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:22 am ...
Did you try Reason?
Reason was actually the first DAW I ever used, over a decade ago! Maybe version 3 or 4? It honestly didn't occur to me to go back because I had gotten so used to Cubase and Reason always kinda felt like Propellerhead didn't know clearly where they wanted to go with the software. But I understand it has plugin support and audio editing and a bunch of other stuff now, so it's probably about time I took another look at it. :tu:

Yes, if you haven't tried it since then you should certainly do, I think. Especially since you seem to want something clear, simple and concise. To me it feels like that have an abundance of vision b.t.w..
Not a tiny bit of inconsistency in there, if you ask me.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

djstatix wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:06 pm
ozinga wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:34 am

I still cant figure out how you do this! I see the video but i cant replicate this.

EDIT: SPLIT at grid? Seems to do it. Need a key command set for this! Thanks.
Yes sorry forgot to add that
Key Command for Split at Grid ( Also can reach by right click on an Event and select Event/Split at Grid)

I also added Key Commands for Quantize Set Program A B C etc.
You can reach the Quantize Set Presets from the top Menu Q icon.
There you can set A to E have different divisions like (1/4) (1/8) (1/16) etc
and make a Key Command for each.
Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 14.33.04.png
You can split by bend markers (transients)too.
If you right click and select Audio sub menu instead of Event.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 14.33.04.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

when version 5 is about to come out anyways ?

ohgrad wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:22 am when version 5 is about to come out anyways ?
No one knows, there is nothing official, this thread is just speculation...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

to be honest there is sooo much to improve and add and build ontop what is already a briliant daw. i love it and hope they keep up thier great work in great pace.

concealed identity wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:22 am I just demoed 4 and am thinking of buying 5 when it comes out. I'm still using a 32-bit version of Cubase 4.5 - I was going with a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude, but after my last computer slowly and catastrophically died over a half-year period, saw this as an opportunity to future-proof my studio a bit and finally make the move into the world of SIXTY-FOUR BITS. Was assuming I would move to Ableton Live, but after demoing it and banging my head against it for a few weeks, have decided against it. I want something that is easy to use (for me) and has good native plugins, and Studio One for the most part seems to fit the bill.
The final x86 Cubase version was 8.5 but the minimum version you want is 9.5. The benefits over 4.5 are immense.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

electro wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:50 am
The final x86 Cubase version was 8.5 but the minimum version you want is 9.5. The benefits over 4.5 are immense.
Yeah if I stuck with Cubase, I would definitely just go with the newest version! Honestly though, I went through a complete nightmare with the dongle/licenser years ago (technical issues, but also very frustrating Steinberg support), and it's really put me off spending so much money on Cubase since - hence why I was looking for an alternative!

I’m sure someone’s posted this already, but MPE support is at the top of my wishlist for Studio One.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”