What is wrong with Cubase?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ozinga wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:58 pm IMHO Cubase 11 should be all about workflow, GUI optimization and overall UX.
I can agree to that.

But mostly about those ultra-tiny sliders that control the X and Y scale of each window. That and the microfonts on some plugins and generally the tiny, fixed GUIs in some plugins such as Halion. It needs to scale and the text needs to scale with it. Right now it almost feels like surgery with chopsticks sometimes to me.

I also hope they work on hiDPI support a bit more in terms of functioning better with odd scaling factors in Windows.

I just think they need to refine it and let it be what it is and not follow the trends of whatever the flaky 20-somethings of any given era want right now (which may change tomorrow).

Milkman wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 pm ... that their DSP has *been* the best in the industry for a long time. They have the best GUI, best workflow, and highest quality DSP...
whats DSP?

DSP = Digital Signal Processing

Milkman wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:41 pm Ive used cubase for close to 20 years, since SX2. I have lurked on their forums for most of that time. Steinberg have an elitism problem coupled with brand-worship coupled with the fact that their DSP has *been* the best in the industry for a long time....

Has anyone else visited their forums? Steinberg/cubase users and often staff can be incredibly arrogant and very dismissive when it comes to acknowledging steinberg/yamaha's responsibilities to certain ecosystem issues. They may have revenue issues, and therefore staffing issues, and are trying to keep people primarily on the "community forums" instead of direct support. Many angry people come there to discuss problems they have, in both "general" and "issues" subforums.

Incidentally I just made a new thread in this forum... about my issues with cubase 10, and how the company is not being helpful nor forthcoming. I found this thread when looking for more info.
It's funny, each time I have visited the Cubase forum over the years I always noted the weird vibe. Angry users for sure. However, didn't seem quite as bad as the sadly arrogant wankers over at MOTUNation. :hihi: :help: That place is strange, if you type "Reaper" they blank it out to R*****... :dog: All are welcome here at KVR, even REAPER zealots. :lol:

ozinga wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:58 pm IMHO Cubase 11 should be all about workflow, GUI optimization and overall UX. Less menu diving more clever and clean use of interface. For example when I raise the docked mixer I do not want to see giant lego faders but inserts and sends added to it .Or 10s of empty insert and send slots on the inspector waisting valuable space that needs opening and closing all the time. Make it more laptop friendly. Reduce the download size of the app and make the Gbs of content download optional. Ditch the dongle. So one can purchase, download in a matter of minutes and start to use it.
IMHO not another amp or delay plugin or new next level feature is needed. What Cubase already has is more than great. Just improve it and make everything more immediate, simple and less cluttered.
Steinberg guys should take note here. As a 20+ year Cubase user I'm not sure whether I will upgrade again or maybe jump ship because Cubase is so slow to adapt to modern production needs and paradigms.

They still seem to cater to 50+ year old German Schlager producers mainly, that's the vibe I sometimes get from their public presentation.

I'm not saying that Cubase should try to become another Ableton clone, but it definitely has to overhaul it's general UX approach to a more straightforward 21st century mode of operation:

less clutter, less clicking, less need for constant resizing of GUI elements, less redundancy and idiosyncrasies (I still don't see the point of having various versions of the built in EQ with slightly different feature set that can be found as 1) channel insert 2) mix console eq and 3) in the channel edit window), better integration of the various features overall, a proper creative sample tool a la Ableton Simpler or Logic Quick Sampler (I said it before, but Cubase Sampler Track really is a joke).

To be fair: I'm not bothered about the dongle at all, since it's the only dongle I use anyway and I favour the use of a dongle for my DAW over something that would require me to be constantly connected to the internet. I stopped using Native Instruments stuff since their Native Access tool would not allow me to download the installers on a separate online machine and then only access the internet quickly (using my mobile device hotspot internet connection) for the authorization part of installation.

The channel strip in the mixer, the graphics here are simply wrong. The need for the title to be in a box means it takes up too much space, not to mention the white outline the box has and, the curves to that box. Put things to see as much of the mixer as possible and you will see exactly what i mean. There's just no need for this to be this way... so change it!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 10, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped).

Left pane of the mixer. Channel / Zones in visibility could easily be in the same tab. No need for it to be separated.
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 10, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED), Yamaha CS2x (Custom Mapped).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”