[for Reason users] May Madness sale is on, what have you bought / buying? :)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:27 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:16 pm Is Scenic just a simplified Grain? They seem to have brought out several REs based on granular playback since Grain which makes me wonder if they are based on it but just with layers.
Yes & no. The synthesis itself is definitely more comprehensive in Grain, but - I feel - Scenic has better overall FX and can be used as an audio FX, because it has audio in. But for me it's form over function, especially the front with this weird looking "clock" controls - it doesn't look like a proper RE at all.
OK Scenic is very nice, I was going to buy the upgrade anyway but decided it would be worth it to get Suite given it includes Scenic and a few of the players that I liked so even though I have a lot of it already it was just about worth it.

A bit disappointed to find that in many ways, aside from the extra devices and plugin rack Reason has not really been updated much. Still the almost useless 'plugin manager', limited controller support, no MPE and lack of colour themes. However I always used it mainly as a rack of instruments and fx anyway so now I can do that in other DAWs, that do have those things.

aMUSEd wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 pmA bit disappointed to find that in many ways, aside from the extra devices and plugin rack Reason has not really been updated much. Still the almost useless 'plugin manager', limited controller support, no MPE and lack of colour themes. However I always used it mainly as a rack of instruments and fx anyway so now I can do that in other DAWs, that do have those things.
True, they take it slow, but I think they're putting all their resources now into the confirmed GPU accelerated high-res GUI update. Once this is done, it's smooth sailing from there on... VST3 and MIDI VST, MPE, track freezing & folders, etc. ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

aMUSEd wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 pm
antic604 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:27 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:16 pm Is Scenic just a simplified Grain? They seem to have brought out several REs based on granular playback since Grain which makes me wonder if they are based on it but just with layers.
Yes & no. The synthesis itself is definitely more comprehensive in Grain, but - I feel - Scenic has better overall FX and can be used as an audio FX, because it has audio in. But for me it's form over function, especially the front with this weird looking "clock" controls - it doesn't look like a proper RE at all.
OK Scenic is very nice, I was going to buy the upgrade anyway but decided it would be worth it to get Suite given it includes Scenic and a few of the players that I liked so even though I have a lot of it already it was just about worth it.

A bit disappointed to find that in many ways, aside from the extra devices and plugin rack Reason has not really been updated much. Still the almost useless 'plugin manager', limited controller support, no MPE and lack of colour themes. However I always used it mainly as a rack of instruments and fx anyway so now I can do that in other DAWs, that do have those things.
I'm in the same boat as you. I was going to buy the PolyStep and Quad Note Generator Players at $35 each (50% off the usual price) when I realized I can get the upgrade to Suite for $170 or so with Uncle E at JRR. For the extra $100 I can get Scenic, Complex-1, Parsec 2 (I already have Parsec 1), Layers and several other instruments. So, I think I am going to go that route even though I will essentially be double-paying for some of the Suite instruments and effects that I already have :(. It is still worth it to me - basically coming out to $20 per new instrument. I have paid more for presets in the past.

antic604 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:42 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 pmA bit disappointed to find that in many ways, aside from the extra devices and plugin rack Reason has not really been updated much. Still the almost useless 'plugin manager', limited controller support, no MPE and lack of colour themes. However I always used it mainly as a rack of instruments and fx anyway so now I can do that in other DAWs, that do have those things.
True, they take it slow, but I think they're putting all their resources now into the confirmed GPU accelerated high-res GUI update. Once this is done, it's smooth sailing from there on... VST3 and MIDI VST, MPE, track freezing & folders, etc. ;) :D
Interesting that the plugin rack does seem to have themes support (so the dark theme for example integrates beautifully with Bitwig), so why not Reason itself?

aMUSEd wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 pmInteresting that the plugin rack does seem to have themes support (so the dark theme for example integrates beautifully with Bitwig), so why not Reason itself?
Reason has this since v9:
https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... in-Reason-
Music tech enthusiast

lol so it has - can't see for looking :)

Upgraded from intro to suite (two step purchase) and got Delta midi computer as well...

Step up to full version was a pretty easy decision, continue to Suite less so. I had to think about that one for a couple of weeks.
But no regrets. Already had a lot of fun with it, not least the players.

The Delta is superb, I will get a lot of use out of that one.

Got PolyStep and Quad Note Generator. Very happy with the sale price.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

@antic604
Which device is best to drag drop a loop to have it sliced and have amp/filter/env/pitch etc per slice?
Neither Ableton Simpler nor Logic Q Sampler has different synth section per slice. So I am thinking to give Reason Rack a go for this. Is Dr Octo Rex enough for this or does it only load rex files?
Thanks

andypryce wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:56 pm @antic604
Which device is best to drag drop a loop to have it sliced and have amp/filter/env/pitch etc per slice?
Neither Ableton Simpler nor Logic Q Sampler has different synth section per slice. So I am thinking to give Reason Rack a go for this. Is Dr Octo Rex enough for this or does it only load rex files?
Thanks
DrOctoRex only loads Rex files. If you are using a reason standalone, you can drag a loop to the timeline and Reason will slice it for you and you can save as a Rex file which you can then do whatever you want in OctoRex. For more control over the slices, or if you are using a Reason as a plug-in you would need to have and use ReCycle to make the Rex file.

---
Music tech enthusiast

ShawnG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:06 pm
DrOctoRex only loads Rex files. If you are using a reason standalone, you can drag a loop to the timeline and Reason will slice it for you and you can save as a Rex file which you can then do whatever you want in OctoRex. For more control over the slices, or if you are using a Reason as a plug-in you would need to have and use ReCycle to make the Rex file.
Got it. Thank You.

Andy, I believe AIR transfuser can do what you want without the extra Rex conversion. I love me my Reason, but I always used Transfuser in my other DAWs when I wanted to simulate Dr. rex. And it is often dirt cheap. Unbelievably underrated little plugin.

ShawnG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:55 pm Andy, I believe AIR transfuser can do what you want without the extra Rex conversion. I love me my Reason, but I always used Transfuser in my other DAWs when I wanted to simulate Dr. rex. And it is often dirt cheap. Unbelievably underrated little plugin.
Cool. I will check that out!
Thank You Shawn

antic604 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:20 pm and 2) it's about buying REs, which even Reason people do much less nowadays.
Well, some of us just silently go on a shopping spree… :oops: :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”