Which DAW best for recording Hi Resolution audio (Like DSD128)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have Cubase 10 Pro and I am hunting for my next Audio interface. I found some Audio interfaces in the market which offer AD 24 bit 384kHz conversion based on its spec. But as far as I remember, Cubase 10 pro can only support up to 192kHZ recording ? Am I missing something or in case I need such Hi-Res recording, I need to look for another DAW (Like Nuendo) or Audio Editor (like Audition)? Appreciate to share your recording experience which both hard/soft setup.

Thanks!
Cowby

Expert troll, or serious question?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

seems like the following (just to name a few) can do the job.
Acon Digital Acoustica Premium, Wavelab Pro and Studio 1 can do the job.

I

Out of curiosity - why you need such a high recording quality?
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Apart from making music, my friend and I are head-fi fans and he would like to record his old vinyls into digital format via a decent audio interface. And for my case, as I am hunting for a decent interface, why don't use it to record something else rather than instruments to support my 2nd hobby - is to record CDs and thru AD conversion to get higher resolution. If the hardware out there has such a good features/specs and what software to support hi-res recording? So that's the reason behind I raised this question.

cowby wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:51 am Apart from making music, my friend and I are head-fi fans and he would like to record his old vinyls into digital format via a decent audio interface. And for my case, as I am hunting for a decent interface, why don't use it to record something else rather than instruments to support my 2nd hobby - is to record CDs and thru AD conversion to get higher resolution. If the hardware out there has such a good features/specs and what software to support hi-res recording? So that's the reason behind I raised this question.
I don't think recording vinyls or CDs to 384kHz will make them sound any better than say 24/96kHz, but I won't stop you from trying ;) :D

Have a look at Reaper, too.
Music tech enthusiast

cowby wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:51 am Apart from making music, my friend and I are head-fi fans and he would like to record his old vinyls into digital format via a decent audio interface. And for my case, as I am hunting for a decent interface, why don't use it to record something else rather than instruments to support my 2nd hobby - is to record CDs and thru AD conversion to get higher resolution. If the hardware out there has such a good features/specs and what software to support hi-res recording? So that's the reason behind I raised this question.
you cant get higher resolution from the CDs than the encoding on the CD - thats just the way information works.
RX7 records up to 384kHz - that's what I use for bat recordings

antic604 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:58 am
I don't think recording vinyls or CDs to 384kHz will make them sound any better than say 24/96kHz, but I won't stop you from trying ;) :D

Have a look at Reaper, too.

Yes, we know that it is not 100% better than the original but sure will give it a try

cowby wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:51 am [...] a decent audio interface. [...]
Last time I looked the interface you already have is pretty decent alright. Probably better specced than what was considered "Mastering Grade" at the times half of your CD collection was published.

Instead of looking at just numbers on tech spec sheets, I'd advise to do a short study on the limits of human hearing and how that translates to what specs are "decent" and which are "over the top". Just to prevent you suffer from the "more money than brains" syndrom.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

You will need to step it up a notch , 384 Khz is hardly enough
Cowbell sounds only good @ 768 Khz
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

antic604 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 am Out of curiosity - why you need such a high recording quality?
Actually, that's high recording "sample rate", which doesn't necessarily translate into quality (if he will be recording old CDs and vinyl, it will definitely NOT).
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:58 am
antic604 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:57 am Out of curiosity - why you need such a high recording quality?
Actually, that's high recording "sample rate", which doesn't necessarily translate into quality (if he will be recording old CDs and vinyl, it will definitely NOT).
That's what I said in my 2nd post, shortly after the one you quoted :)
Music tech enthusiast

fairlyclose wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:01 am
you cant get higher resolution from the CDs than the encoding on the CD - thats just the way information works.
Precisely, CDs are already digital recordings at 44100 kHz - can't make any more of that no matter what interface.

...or you could simply rip audio files from CDs, no need to ever have an interface for that.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

some of the guys below actually are audiophile fans and they shared their experience on using studio gears / DAW to record their vinyls.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/anyone ... d/30037/21

So in their case, the simple way is to use Tascam DA3000 or Korg MS2000 to do the recording. But I think to use a decent audio interface + DAW will be a more flexible solution in terms of post editing.

the ms2000 is a nice synth, not so great as a recording device though.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”