How is VST automation in Cubase nowadays?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think I remember it used to have accuracy issues, with accuracy decreasing with larger (slower) soundcard buffer size.

Anyone with experience of Cubase 9.5-10.5 have an opinion here?
A well-behaved signature.

It's still there unfortunately, I still can't believe that to this day DAW's like Logic and Cubase have so screwed up automation.

Than there's more stuff, people can talk shit about Pro Tools and Reaper for days, but they nailed it and now can move on and develop further:
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... iffer.html

Maybe Cubase's makers should reach out to the creator of the VST spec to fix it. :help:
Ridiculous, just like Logic is the least stable AU host...shoemaker's kids and all that.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:05 pm It's still there unfortunately, I still can't believe that to this day DAW's like Logic and Cubase have so screwed up automation.

Than there's more stuff, people can talk shit about Pro Tools and Reaper for days, but they nailed it and now can move on and develop further:
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/ ... iffer.html
Well, that's unfortunate. Really excited Cubase finally got curved automation, and now sobered a bit to learn it still has that nonsense.

Passing Bye wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:05 pmThan there's more stuff, people can talk shit about Pro Tools and Reaper for days, but they nailed it and now can move on and develop further.
Reaper's automation is pretty solid, then? I remember hearing something like that in the past but was so put off by the UI that I never experiemented with Reaper that much.

“Logic Pro is by far the worst, and audibly so!”

later:
“Logic aced it, mostly. I tried every combination of buffer sizes, process buffer ranges, real/offline…

BUT ONLY WITH SAMPLE ACCURATE AUTOMATION ON!”

:hihi:

I’ve seen enough.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winstontaneous wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:58 pm Maybe Cubase's makers should reach out to the creator of the VST spec to fix it. :help:
So that would be Steinberg reaching out to Steinberg. :D
More seriously, the VST3 specs allow sample accurate automation.

JerGoertz wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:09 pm Well, that's unfortunate. Really excited Cubase finally got curved automation, and now sobered a bit to learn it still has that nonsense.
It's still there unfortunately, guess most people just don't change buffers that often when they have lot off automation going on, so it's kinda mostly non issue for Steinberg and their loyal user base.
Reaper's automation is pretty solid, then? I remember hearing something like that in the past but was so put off by the UI that I never experiemented with Reaper that much.
Yeah, I left you link where member from here is putting plenty of DAW's for few phases of testing and Reaper is always on top and spot on, but again, if you can't work with it, it doesn't mater that much.

Passing Bye wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:12 am
JerGoertz wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:09 pm Well, that's unfortunate. Really excited Cubase finally got curved automation, and now sobered a bit to learn it still has that nonsense.
It's still there unfortunately, guess most people just don't change buffers that often when they have lot off automation going on, so it's kinda mostly non issue for Steinberg and their loyal user base.
Yeah, I left you link where member from here is putting plenty of DAW's for few phases of testing and Reaper is always on top and spot on, but again, if you can't work with it, it doesn't mater that much.
Yeah, thanks for the link, that was helpful. I saw that FlStudio did well in some aspects, maybe I'll dig that out again (since I have a perpetual license and everything :oops: )

For the most part, Cubase automation, specifically the lack of a simple 'midi learn', is crap. Aside from that, I'm pretty happy.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:20 pm For the most part, Cubase automation, specifically the lack of a simple 'midi learn', is crap. Aside from that, I'm pretty happy.
Hit learn, move knob, done. How simple do you want it ?
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:18 am
Psuper wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:20 pm For the most part, Cubase automation, specifically the lack of a simple 'midi learn', is crap. Aside from that, I'm pretty happy.
Some VSTS within Cubase yes. However not the DAW itself (like any of the controls on the left, you have to manually build your controller hotkeys).

For instance, I want to assign midi learn to the EQ buttons for sweeps. In 10 you can't. Can you in 10.5?
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:44 pm
Some VSTS within Cubase yes. However not the DAW itself (like any of the controls on the left, you have to manually build your controller hotkeys).

For instance, I want to assign midi learn to the EQ buttons for sweeps. In 10 you can't. Can you in 10.5?
No problem in 10, or older versions. Just use Track Quick Controls. It's been around for ages.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:41 pm

No problem in 10, or older versions. Just use Track Quick Controls. It's been around for ages.
Yes quick controls suck, borderline useless.
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:46 pm
dionenoid wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:41 pm

Yes quick controls suck, borderline useless.
:lol:

RTFM dude. But stop whining about things you clearly know nothing about.
More BPM please

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”