Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

hoxclab wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:51 am Has anyone completed a full album on Studio One? I always see users having problems and selling the software. I talk to some engineers from time to time and none recommend it and are always speaking highly of Reaper. What's the appeal with Studio One? It seems like a mess. I've demoed it and was not a fan at all.
Sellers incur the cost of the transfer fee.

Every single person that uses a modern actively developed DAW will incur problems of some sort at some point.

I don't believe you talk to any engineers, and are just trolling.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 am
hoxclab wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:51 am Has anyone completed a full album on Studio One? I always see users having problems and selling the software. I talk to some engineers from time to time and none recommend it and are always speaking highly of Reaper. What's the appeal with Studio One? It seems like a mess. I've demoed it and was not a fan at all.
Sellers incur the cost of the transfer fee.

Every single person that uses a modern actively developed DAW will incur problems of some sort at some point.

I don't believe you talk to any engineers, and are just trolling.
Panties in a bunch, Scott? :lol:

By "engineers" you seem to mean people who do mixing and/or mastering, but not actual production (so they also don't complete albums, BTW). Try using MIDI in Reaper and then in Studio One and it's simply no contest. Frankly, doing anything in Reaper without first having spent days configuring it is pretty painful.

The advantage (for many) of Studio One is that it basically just works as you'd expect it to and has features covering most - but not all! - typical requirements of a producer, mixer and mastering engineer and even live performer. Reaper can do almost everything, but it's very unintuitive out of the box.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

hoxclab wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:51 am Has anyone completed a full album on Studio One? I always see users having problems and selling the software. I talk to some engineers from time to time and none recommend it and are always speaking highly of Reaper.
:lol:

I'm glad you registered here. Highly entertaining.

antic604 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:55 am
By "engineers" you seem to mean people who do mixing and/or mastering, but not actual production (so they also don't complete albums, BTW). Try using MIDI in Reaper and then in Studio One and it's simply no contest. Frankly, doing anything in Reaper without first having spent days configuring it is pretty painful.

The advantage (for many) of Studio One is that it basically just works as you'd expect it to and has features covering most - but not all! - typical requirements of a producer, mixer and mastering engineer and even live performer. Reaper can do almost everything, but it's very unintuitive out of the box.
But random CPU spikes make all workflow useless. I can confirm as Mac OS user, that it is there. No problems with Bitwig and Ableton and Reaper especially. This problem makes me use Reaper more and more.

hitherepeople wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:43 amI'm not getting that. windows 10, latest update and S1 5.3.............not happening here. Sorry.
It's only happening to me because I've just moved everything to a new computer. Once I relink it all, everything will be fine but you can't open a project made on one computer in another without these kinds of problems. It's a right royal PITA.

Anyway, you are not going to believe how simple the solution to my main problem is - space. Both Viper and JP6K had a space in the file name of the DLL - JP6K (64).dll and Viper (64).dll. As soon as I removed the space, they showed up fine. It's really weird because I'm damned sure it's not a problem with either of my other PCs.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

simmo75 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:46 am I’m mixing a track in SO5 Pro and have started getting a horrible issue where randomly, there’s a pop, all sound cuts and the master meters peak out and say 666…
Does it show up when you render? If not, why worry?
hoxclab wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:51 amHas anyone completed a full album on Studio One? I always see users having problems and selling the software.
No but I have more than 40 songs working perfectly and anticipate no problems when it's time to pump out another album.
I talk to some engineers from time to time and none recommend it and are always speaking highly of Reaper. What's the appeal with Studio One? It seems like a mess. I've demoed it and was not a fan at all.
Ha! Reaper is a complete bloody mess, made by a guy with no vision of his own who just adds every stupid feature anyone asks for. I wouldn't bother downloading it if it was free. Studio One is not without its issues but it's a great working environment with good workflow and all the features anyone could need.
Stan Navi wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:01 amBut random CPU spikes make all workflow useless. I can confirm as Mac OS user, that it is there.
But you'll keep using macOS, even though it creates problems that don't exist on PC. I always choose my applications, I don't let my OS decide which ones I can use for me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:11 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:46 am I’m mixing a track in SO5 Pro and have started getting a horrible issue where randomly, there’s a pop, all sound cuts and the master meters peak out and say 666…
Does it show up when you render? If not, why worry?
hoxclab wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:51 amHas anyone completed a full album on Studio One? I always see users having problems and selling the software.
No but I have more than 40 songs working perfectly and anticipate no problems when it's time to pump out another album.
I talk to some engineers from time to time and none recommend it and are always speaking highly of Reaper. What's the appeal with Studio One? It seems like a mess. I've demoed it and was not a fan at all.
Ha! Reaper is a complete bloody mess, made by a guy with no vision of his own who just adds every stupid feature anyone asks for. I wouldn't bother downloading it if it was free. Studio One is not without its issues but it's a great working environment with good workflow and all the features anyone could need.
Stan Navi wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:01 amBut random CPU spikes make all workflow useless. I can confirm as Mac OS user, that it is there.
But you'll keep using macOS, even though it creates problems that don't exist on PC. I always choose my applications, I don't let my OS decide which ones I can use for me.
Because I cannot finish the mix...

A couple of things. Ableton Live is significantly smoother and faster for me under macOS than Windows. On the same machine. I have no issues with opening the same project on different machines or between Windows and macOS, given that the same plug-ins on the version are installed. Of course, I don't use outboard gear and my interfaces are largely similar.

I keep all my projects on a NAS box so I can work from wherever I want. That does not sit well with every program. Live is fine with it. Studio One is fine with it. If I remember correctly, Bitwig was as well. Cubase, though back on version 9 had some issues. Logic had issues at times. Don't quote me on that.

simmo75 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:42 pmBecause I cannot finish the mix...
Why not? Glitches and stuff don't really bother me when I am working. If we didn't play live, I probably wouldn't bother with ASIO or any kind of audio I/O device, beyond what ships inside my computer. As long as it renders clean, it's fine.

antic604 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:55 am Try using MIDI in Reaper and then in Studio One and it's simply no contest.
To me, it's no contest, but the other way around. IMO Studio One needs a smart MIDI tool, mouse modifiers such as right mouse drag to select, ability to disable snap to grid for the selection box, to name a few. I do agree that with Reaper the default settings aren't ideal, but you can customize most things 🙂

I'm not trolling about Reaper, I just wish Presonus implemented some highly requested features.

Please excuse, but I thought Studio One had it's version of a smart tool? And you've got me curious about Reaper.

mdstudio wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:43 pm IMO Studio One needs a smart MIDI tool, mouse modifiers such as right mouse drag to select, ability to disable snap to grid for the selection box, to name a few.
That's just what you're used to. Studio One has mouse modifiers - press control to change the tool temporarily, for example, and you use the left button to marquee select. Pressing "N" toggles snap. The right mouse button does what the right mouse button is supposed to do - bring up contextual menus. Middle button brings up the tools menu. And the smart tool is kinda cool, too. You just have to get used to how it all works, same as anything.

hitherepeople wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 pm Please excuse, but I thought Studio One had it's version of a smart tool? And you've got me curious about Reaper.
I think there's a smart tool for audio, but not for MIDI: https://answers.presonus.com/5825/smart-tool-for-midi
BONES wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:14 pm You just have to get used to how it all works, same as anything.
Yes, workflow is an individual thing and a lot of it comes down to muscle memory.

mdstudio wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:53 pm
hitherepeople wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:59 pm Please excuse, but I thought Studio One had it's version of a smart tool? And you've got me curious about Reaper.
I think there's a smart tool for audio, but not for MIDI: https://answers.presonus.com/5825/smart-tool-for-midi
I think 5.2 made first changes towards smart tool for MIDI. Check this video starting from 3:15

https://youtu.be/f7AWJXF1R4E?t=198
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”