Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

I've had the absolute minimum of issue's with Studio One's stability on the PC. It is generally, pretty rock solid and if it isn't, it's typically because I'm using resources elsewhere or because I'm running low on virtual memory on the C drive due to being less than 20 gigs, which was the case I had with my Windows 7 system last year. Using plugins that I know I can trust helps enormously too.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Time to go Windows, I guess. :D

Chemik wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:11 pm I had no success on the Presonus forum so I'll try here. When I first load a song and start playthrough, StudioOne pauses for a split second whenever certain VSTs start to play. I really notice it with Spire and Thorn. Once they play, it never happens again. I can go anywhere in the song and replay the song with no pauses, only the first time they play. Anyone had this issue, I've had it for about over a year.
Try disabling Options -> Audios Setup -> Enable low latency monitoring for instruments
Try setting Options -> Audios Setup -> Dropout protection: Minimum

Those options supposed to make experience smoother but never worked for me correctly... When turned off i have no stutter problems.

Grumbleweed wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:13 pm
Chemik wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:11 pm I had no success on the Presonus forum so I'll try here. When I first load a song and start playthrough, StudioOne pauses for a split second whenever certain VSTs start to play. I really notice it with Spire and Thorn. Once they play, it never happens again. I can go anywhere in the song and replay the song with no pauses, only the first time they play. Anyone had this issue, I've had it for about over a year.
It isn't just Studio One that does this. I've had a pause (usually when the main track kicks in after the intro) in Sonar (years ago) and Cubase (up until my new beast computer). It always goes away after the first play through though.
Basically it seems to me the more processing power you have the less chance of a stutter. I've never optimised a PC for music though so maybe disabling a few things might help.

Grum.
If you still experience those stutter in Cubase try disabling ASIO Guard and lowering Audio priority.
For me it's the same story as with Studio One: they suppose to fix issues, but instead i have better experience with them turned off...

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:40 pm I've had the absolute minimum of issue's with Studio One's stability on the PC. It is generally, pretty rock solid and if it isn't, it's typically because I'm using resources elsewhere or because I'm running low on virtual memory on the C drive due to being less than 20 gigs, which was the case I had with my Windows 7 system last year. Using plugins that I know I can trust helps enormously too.
I only use plugins from trusted source. NI, IK Multimedia, Izotope, U-he etc. I don't have plugins from non reputable sources installed on my machine at all. The ones that cause the most issues in S1 for me are the NI plugins. I've had to go re-do whole projects just to remove Maschine because anytime I've tried removing the plugin S1 crashes. Every time. I have S1 installed on a PC but that's not my primary DAW so I haven't done any extensive testing there.

I don't mix type of plugins (AU vs VST since I hear S1 likes VST more than AU). I don't have anything crazy going on in these sessions.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:28 am I've had to go re-do whole projects just to remove Maschine because anytime I've tried removing the plugin S1 crashes.
Plug-ins can also be removed from an S1 project outside of S1 by deleting a few lines from a text file.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

I hope they have a basic editor score in Artist version also in a near update

The thing I am excited about is they changed the looks of the plugins. Now they look more awesome

tonedef71 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:22 am
apoclypse wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:28 am I've had to go re-do whole projects just to remove Maschine because anytime I've tried removing the plugin S1 crashes.
Plug-ins can also be removed from an S1 project outside of S1 by deleting a few lines from a text file.
Had no idea. What text file is that? That would be really helpful in a few projects that crash right when they load in S1.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:56 am Had no idea. What text file is that? That would be really helpful in a few projects that crash right when they load in S1.
This knowledge comes in really handy, especially when you need to salvage a corrupted project file. Studio One project files are actually a number of files and folders contained within a ZIP file.

Temporarily change the extension from .song to .zip (or just append .zip to the end of the name) and look at the files and folders within the ZIP.

There should be a folder named "devices" which contains the XML files named "audioeffectmanager.xml", "audiomixer.xml", "audiosynthfolder.xml", "mixerconsole.xml", and "musictrackdevice.xml" which are relevant to VST plugins and virtual instruments. There are other files and other folders in the project file as well.

You can open any one of those XML files in any good text editor (or even better, within a dedicated XML editor like XML Spy or Oxygen XML which does syntax coloring and indenting to show you better how all the pieces fit together), make edits to the file, and then re-save it.

I always recommend that you first make a backup of the original project file before you set to work on editing it.

I also recommend first experimenting on a simple one track/one instrument project file that contains the plugin you are looking to remove. You can also create a completely empty project so you can see what the files look like before any plugins have been added.

To test your edits, you need to change the project file name back from .zip to .song; and re-open the project file in Studio One to see if you "fixed your issue" (or made things worse; that is why you keep a back of the original).

Here is a snippet from "audiosynthfolder.xml" with a snipped data element for "DS Thorn". This file manages which virtual instruments are in use by the project. The various UIDs for the DS Thorn instrument will be referenced in the other XML files:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<AudioSynthFolder>
	<Attributes name="Inst01">
		<UID x:id="uniqueID" uid="{D4E6DB9F-6FD1-48E0-B6ED-21F7FBC026D6}"/>
		<UID x:id="deviceClassID" uid="{56535454-6852-6E64-7320-74686F726E00}"/>
		<Attributes x:id="deviceData" name="DS Thorn">
			<UID x:id="uniqueID" uid="{C1821DF8-9822-491A-BACA-B5A4521CAF11}"/>
		</Attributes>
		<Attributes x:id="ghostData" presetType="vstpreset">
			<Attributes x:id="classInfo" classID="{56535454-6852-6E64-7320-74686F726E00}" name="DS Thorn" category="AudioSynth"
			            subCategory="VST3/Synth"/>
			</Attributes>
		</Attributes>
		<List x:id="synthChannels">
			<UID uid="{99B7E252-27FB-40C3-8166-284FA840BA34}"/>
		</List>
	</Attributes>
</AudioSynthFolder>
Here is a snippet from "musictrackdevice.xml"; this file links a virtual instrument, MIDI input controller, etc. to a track:

<MusicTrackDevice>
	<Attributes x:id="channels" name="Channels" flags="1">
		<ChannelGroup name="MusicTrack" flags="1">
			<MusicTrackChannel transpose="0" velocity="0" name="Channel02" label="DS Thorn" mute="0" solo="0" soloSafe="0" color="FFDD6105">
				<Connection x:id="instrumentOut" objectID="{99B7E252-27FB-40C3-8166-284FA840BA34}/Input" friendlyName="DS Thorn"/>
				<UID x:id="uniqueID" uid="{0637A329-1E6B-42AC-B26F-67AF833E4725}"/>
				<Connection x:id="destination" objectID="{C1821DF8-9822-491A-BACA-B5A4521CAF11}/MusicInput00" friendlyName="1 - DS Thorn/MIDI Input 1"/>
				<Attributes x:id="Automation" mode="0"/>
				<Attributes x:id="RecordUnit">
					<Connection x:id="recordPort" objectID="{8E89F023-CA17-4751-834E-A8CBFA309A71}/MusicOutput00" friendlyName="nanoKEY2/Any">
						<Attributes x:id="data" recordArmed="1" monitorActive="1"/>
					</Connection>
				</Attributes>
			</MusicTrackChannel>
		</ChannelGroup>
	</Attributes>
</MusicTrackDevice>
Here is a snippet from "audiomixer.xml". This file contains audio input/output settings for all the audio channels, busses, etc. in the project. Look for matching UIDs that identify the plugin:

<AudioMixer>
		<ChannelGroup name="AudioSynth" flags="1">
			<AudioSynthChannel gain="1" pan="0.5" name="Channel01" label="DS Thorn" mute="0" solo="0" soloSafe="0" color="FFDD6105" synthPort="0">
				<SpeakerSetup x:id="speakerType" type="Stereo"/>
				<UID x:id="uniqueID" uid="{99B7E252-27FB-40C3-8166-284FA840BA34}"/>
				<Connection x:id="destination" objectID="{176049B4-7E56-460B-917E-72B05D861773}/Input" friendlyName="Main"/>
			</AudioSynthChannel>
		</ChannelGroup>
	</Attributes>
</AudioMixer>
Here is some data from the "mixerconsole.xml" file. Look for matching UIDs that identify the plugin:

<MixerConsole>
	<Attributes x:id="channelSettings" version="1">
		<Section path="176049B47E56460B917E72B05D861773">
			<Attributes visible="1" expanded="0" order="4"/>
		</Section>
		<Section path="99B7E25227FB40C38166284FA840BA34">
			<Attributes visible="1" expanded="0" order="3"/>
		</Section>
		<Section path="C86FE5118B474D5BA358ED844A7034F4">
			<Attributes visible="1" expanded="0" order="0"/>
		</Section>
		<Section path="D88A7BDBC6DB4CFBA5898F70A9DB58A6">
			<Attributes visible="1" expanded="0" order="2"/>
		</Section>
		<Section path="E27F101C70D54FBDA5B4A27A26AE0C9D">
			<Attributes visible="1" expanded="0" order="1"/>
		</Section>
	</Attributes>
	<Attributes x:id="layoutSettings" version="1"/>
	<Attributes x:id="channelBanks" remoteEdit="0">
		<ChannelShowHidePreset x:id="ScreenBank" name="" version="1">
			<List x:id="visible">
			</List>
		</ChannelShowHidePreset>
		<ChannelShowHidePreset x:id="RemoteBank" name="" version="1">
			</List>
		</ChannelShowHidePreset>
	</Attributes>
	<Attributes x:id="HardwareControls" controlsVisible="1"/>
	<Attributes x:id="MixerSnapshots" recallVisibility="1" recallVolume="1" recallPan="1" recallMute="1"
	            recallInserts="0" recallSends="0" recallCueMix="0" recallInputFX="0" recallSelected="0"
	            recallInputChannels="0" recallOutputChannels="0" snapshotName="-">
	</Attributes>
</MixerConsole>
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

middle_color wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:37 pm
Try disabling Options -> Audios Setup -> Enable low latency monitoring for instruments
Try setting Options -> Audios Setup -> Dropout protection: Minimum
Still got an ever so slight delay. Going to keep messing around with things. Thanks!
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
Newest Release, retro EBM, Brute Opposition - Unity of Command, released Sept '22 bandcamp link

tonedef71 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:11 am
apoclypse wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:56 am Had no idea. What text file is that? That would be really helpful in a few projects that crash right when they load in S1.
This knowledge comes in really handy, especially when you need to salvage a corrupted project file. Studio One project files are actually a number of files and folders contained within a ZIP file.

Temporarily change the extension from .song to .zip (or just append .zip to the end of the name) and look at the files and folders within the ZIP.

There should be a folder named "devices" which contains the XML files named "audioeffectmanager.xml", "audiomixer.xml", "audiosynthfolder.xml", "mixerconsole.xml", and "musictrackdevice.xml" which are relevant to VST plugins and virtual instruments. There are other files and other folders in the project file as well.

You can open any one of those XML files in any good text editor (or even better, within a dedicated XML editor like XML Spy or Oxygen XML which does syntax coloring and indenting to show you better how all the pieces fit together), make edits to the file, and then re-save it.

I always recommend that you first make a backup of the original project file before you set to work on editing it.

I also recommend first experimenting on a simple one track/one instrument project file that contains the plugin you are looking to remove. You can also create a completely empty project so you can see what the files look like before any plugins have been added.

To test your edits, you need to change the project file name back from .zip to .song; and re-open the project file in Studio One to see if you "fixed your issue" (or made things worse; that is why you keep a back of the original).

Here is a snippet from "audiosynthfolder.xml" with a snipped data element for "DS Thorn". This file manages which virtual instruments are in use by the project. The various UIDs for the DS Thorn instrument will be referenced in the other XML files:

<AudioSynthFolder>
	<Attributes name="Inst01">
		<UID x:id="uniqueID" uid="{D4E6DB9F-6FD1-48E0-B6ED-21F7FBC026D6}"/>
		<UID x:id="deviceClassID" uid="{56535454-6852-6E64-7320-74686F726E00}"/>
		<Attributes x:id="deviceData" name="DS Thorn">
			<UID x:id="uniqueID" uid="{C1821DF8-9822-491A-BACA-B5A4521CAF11}"/>
		</Attributes>
		<Attributes x:id="ghostData" presetType="vstpreset">
			<Attributes x:id="classInfo" classID="{56535454-6852-6E64-7320-74686F726E00}" name="DS Thorn" category="AudioSynth"
			            subCategory="VST3/Synth"/>
			</Attributes>
		</Attributes>
		<List x:id="synthChannels">
		</List>
	</Attributes>
</AudioSynthFolder>
Here is a snippet from "musictrackdevice.xml"; this file links a virtual instrument, MIDI input controller, etc. to a track:

<MusicTrackDevice>
		<ChannelGroup name="MusicTrack" flags="1">
			<MusicTrackChannel transpose="0" velocity="0" name="Channel02" label="DS Thorn" mute="0" solo="0" soloSafe="0" color="FFDD6105">
				<Connection x:id="instrumentOut" objectID="{99B7E252-27FB-40C3-8166-284FA840BA34}/Input" friendlyName="DS Thorn"/>
				<UID x:id="uniqueID" uid="{0637A329-1E6B-42AC-B26F-67AF833E4725}"/>
				<Connection x:id="destination" objectID="{C1821DF8-9822-491A-BACA-B5A4521CAF11}/MusicInput00" friendlyName="1 - DS Thorn/MIDI Input 1"/>
				<Attributes x:id="Automation" mode="0"/>
				<Attributes x:id="RecordUnit">
					<Connection x:id="recordPort" objectID="{8E89F023-CA17-4751-834E-A8CBFA309A71}/MusicOutput00" friendlyName="nanoKEY2/Any">
						<Attributes x:id="data" recordArmed="1" monitorActive="1"/>
					</Connection>
				</Attributes>
			</MusicTrackChannel>
		</ChannelGroup>
	</Attributes>
</MusicTrackDevice>
Here is a snippet from "audiomixer.xml". This file contains audio input/output settings for all the audio channels, busses, etc. in the project. Look for matching UIDs that identify the plugin:

<AudioMixer>
		<ChannelGroup name="AudioSynth" flags="1">
			<AudioSynthChannel gain="1" pan="0.5" name="Channel01" label="DS Thorn" mute="0" solo="0" soloSafe="0" color="FFDD6105" synthPort="0">
				<SpeakerSetup x:id="speakerType" type="Stereo"/>
				<UID x:id="uniqueID" uid="{99B7E252-27FB-40C3-8166-284FA840BA34}"/>
				<Connection x:id="destination" objectID="{176049B4-7E56-460B-917E-72B05D861773}/Input" friendlyName="Main"/>
			</AudioSynthChannel>
		</ChannelGroup>
	</Attributes>
</AudioMixer>
Here is some data from the "mixerconsole.xml" file. Look for matching UIDs that identify the plugin:

<MixerConsole>
	<Attributes x:id="channelSettings" version="1">
		<Section path="176049B47E56460B917E72B05D861773">
			<Attributes visible="1" expanded="0" order="4"/>
		</Section>
		<Section path="99B7E25227FB40C38166284FA840BA34">
			<Attributes visible="1" expanded="0" order="3"/>
		</Section>
		<Section path="C86FE5118B474D5BA358ED844A7034F4">
			<Attributes visible="1" expanded="0" order="0"/>
		</Section>
		<Section path="D88A7BDBC6DB4CFBA5898F70A9DB58A6">
			<Attributes visible="1" expanded="0" order="2"/>
		</Section>
		<Section path="E27F101C70D54FBDA5B4A27A26AE0C9D">
			<Attributes visible="1" expanded="0" order="1"/>
		</Section>
	</Attributes>
	<Attributes x:id="layoutSettings" version="1"/>
	<Attributes x:id="channelBanks" remoteEdit="0">
		<ChannelShowHidePreset x:id="ScreenBank" name="" version="1">
			</List>
		</ChannelShowHidePreset>
		<ChannelShowHidePreset x:id="RemoteBank" name="" version="1">
			</List>
		</ChannelShowHidePreset>
	</Attributes>
	<Attributes x:id="HardwareControls" controlsVisible="1"/>
	<Attributes x:id="MixerSnapshots" recallVisibility="1" recallVolume="1" recallPan="1" recallMute="1"
	            recallInserts="0" recallSends="0" recallCueMix="0" recallInputFX="0" recallSelected="0"
	            recallInputChannels="0" recallOutputChannels="0" snapshotName="-">
	</Attributes>
</MixerConsole>
Thanks! This is super helpful. I will try that tonight if I get the chance.

Just a heads up Best Service now has a code that currently works for Studio One upgrade bringing it down to £72 which seems good enough to bite + you can get one of their freebies on offer too with it, code is 2020

Digivolt wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:38 pm Just a heads up Best Service now has a code that currently works for Studio One upgrade bringing it down to £72 which seems good enough to bite
Thanks! Glad that I skipped BF offer. Happy holidays! :)

I think I've found a bug. I've opened a ticket, but I wanna check with you guys too. If you add an arpeggiator to an instrument track, set a loop of 4 bars and add an event that starts at bar 2, then play it from bar 3, when the playback loops it won't play the event from bar 2 to bar 3, only from where you started with the playhead.

Take this example:
Untitled.png
If you play from bar 30, the next time the playhead gets to the beginning of the loop (bar 2), until bar 30 it won't play anything, although it should play from bar 10. If you start the playback from bar 21, it won't play until bar 21. To be able to play all those events, you have to play from bar 10 in this example.

I've tried this with different synths - Serum, bx_oberhausen even with Presence and this can be replicated with all these, every single time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”