Best DAW user manual?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

middle_color wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:45 am As of original question "Best DAW user manual?" i cannot respond to it, i don't read manuals from the beginning, but rather look into it when interested in particular topic to get specific details.
Even then you can tell which manual you like the most or provides the best information when you look for a particular topic. If you cannot find all the details quickly it's a bad manual for example.

mabian wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:46 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:13 pm Does Reaper even come with a manual? :o
http://reaper.fm/userguide.php

- Mario
Ah yes... I remember that one.

I'd put Cakewalk in the Great category. I've always found the manual helpful.

I found it quite useful that I can just press F1 to go to the specific help page in FL.

I remember reading the Logic 8 manuals cover-to-cover over a few days. Of course, that was when they printed them nicely and shipped you a box...

imrae wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:27 pm I remember reading the Logic 8 manuals cover-to-cover over a few days. Of course, that was when they printed them nicely and shipped you a box...
Why do you hate trees?

Just think of all the trees they have to clear for the energy plants that power our internet servers. :P

The REAPER user manual is very comprehensive and detailed and there are other books about working with REAPER by Geoffrey Francis, too! Helped me much to improve my English knowledge!

But I didn't read all manuals of all DAWs, so I cannot evaluate which might be the best one.

Haven't read much of the Cakewalk tutorials and manual yet, but so far it makes a good impression.

Mulab still doesn't have a manual?

That's all? :?

http://www.mutools.com/info/M8/docs/index.html

masterhiggins wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:51 pm
imrae wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:27 pm I remember reading the Logic 8 manuals cover-to-cover over a few days. Of course, that was when they printed them nicely and shipped you a box...
Why do you hate trees?
I know, right?! How's your supply of digital toilet paper holding out?

Why do you hate trees?
was once attacked by a grove of silver birch.

vurt wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:25 pm
Why do you hate trees?
was once attacked by a grove of silver birch.
Sorry, man. Those little bastards are merciless.

festeringheap wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:18 pm
Why do you hate trees?
I know, right?! How's your supply of digital toilet paper holding out?
That why Bidet's exists.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Favorite manuals I recall over the years were Logic Pro and Live. Those were the easiest to reference. I especially like the web manual of Live. Whenever I needed to learn how to do something in Live, I went there first. As opposed to other DAWs where you just skip straight to a video.

Studio One's manual suffers from the same issues as their website. The search function is inexplicably configured, tons of functions are completely undocumented, and the information is badly organized and in some cases outdated.

I only know from two DAW manuals I've ever really used, Cubase and Logic. Logic's is good, Cubase seems like a not-ideal translation of another language, one supposes German, a lot of the time, to me.

I like reading manuals and miss the days when they came in paper form.

The great ones in my opinion are Live and Reason. Both well written and organised, they are really all you need to get up and running and learn what's needed in a fun way.

The ok ones are Logic and Bitwig. They get the job done, but don't seem to be written with any particular entusiasm.

The bad ones are FL Studio and Cubase.

When I read through the FL Studio introduction guide I couldn't find anything about playing/recording with midi keyboard or microphones, it was all geared toward inputting music with mouse/keyboard. The whole way of working is very different from other traditional DAWs and the manual didn't help demystify for me. I still don't know how use this DAW properly even after quite some time.

Cubase just feels like a very dry reference book with no thought about learning progression or showing good workflows. It's a shame because I remember the paper manual to SX was pretty good.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”