Why did you leave Studio One?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF
6808 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:57 pm

MuzikFreq wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:17 pm

When I want to edit a midi section when most DAWs you can double click and then I end up with a few slices.... Why?! I don't even have the slicing tool selected
There are two sections, the upper one and the bottom one. If you hover your mouse above the clip vertically, you can see the mouse arrow changes from arrow to a plus. When in arrow mode, you can double click the clip so it appears in the editor.
Cubase Artist 11, NI, Arturia, u-he, Synapse Audio, etc.
PC, MODX 6, KeyLab MK II, nanoKontrol 2, iTwo interface, DT 990 Pro and HS7 monitors.

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
11204 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:35 pm

Crossinger wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:00 pm
Interesting, after 7 years struggling with Reason, the switch to Studio One was like gaining freedom. But I was a long-term user of Cubase and Logic before, so I guess I prefer the technical approach (since Cubase, Logic, and S1 are in their general structure very similar).
I came to S1 from Orion, via Cubase and I'm the same - to me it feels like the best of Orion with the new familiarity of Cubase. Sort of like a bunch of Cubase users got together and tried to work out how to make something with the familiarity of Cubase but without so many of the drawbacks you get from having been around for 25 years.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | Thorn, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, JP6K, Hexeract, Vacuum Pro, TRK-01, Knifonium, Equator, VG Carbon, VG Iron | Uno, Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket.

User avatar
KVRAF
7937 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:14 pm

MuzikFreq wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:17 pm
The arrangement section is finicky when I want to duplicate something after have spent time in the editor and then it duplicates in the editor instead
When I want to edit a midi section when most DAWs you can double click and then I end up with a few slices.... Why?! I don't even have the slicing tool selected
Try disabling this. It seems you're getting confused, because this feature makes a difference between whether you click on the top half of the clip (range selection) or bottom half of the clip (event selection):

Zrzut ekranu (136).png

EDIT: Oh, sorry. EnGee already addressed that :) :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRist
228 posts since 29 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:40 pm

antic604 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:14 pm
MuzikFreq wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:17 pm
The arrangement section is finicky when I want to duplicate something after have spent time in the editor and then it duplicates in the editor instead
When I want to edit a midi section when most DAWs you can double click and then I end up with a few slices.... Why?! I don't even have the slicing tool selected
Try disabling this. It seems you're getting confused, because this feature makes a difference between whether you click on the top half of the clip (range selection) or bottom half of the clip (event selection):


Zrzut ekranu (136).png


EDIT: Oh, sorry. EnGee already addressed that :) :tu:
EnGee wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:57 pm
MuzikFreq wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:17 pm

When I want to edit a midi section when most DAWs you can double click and then I end up with a few slices.... Why?! I don't even have the slicing tool selected
There are two sections, the upper one and the bottom one. If you hover your mouse above the clip vertically, you can see the mouse arrow changes from arrow to a plus. When in arrow mode, you can double click the clip so it appears in the editor.

omg life saver

KVRAF
6808 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:11 am

@ antic304: No need to apologise. Actually you added something I didn't know (that marked with red) ;)

@ MusikFreq: There are two very valuable bars to show. One is the "Info View" (from the menu, View/Additional Views/Info View) and the other is the "Record Panel" (Also from the View menu). Those are very handy especially while learning S1. Here in the image below I'm pressing the "Alt" key and hovering the mouse on the end of the clip. It would stretch the events in this case not only making the clip longer (the mouse arrow doesn't show, but you can try it yourself). The Info View update dynamically whenever your mouse arrow hovering at. Also, if you press a modifier (like Ctrl, Shift, Alt), it changes and highlights the action you want to do.
The Record Panel is very useful for recording takes or recording over what you have ... etc. Read or watch tutorials about. It worth it really :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cubase Artist 11, NI, Arturia, u-he, Synapse Audio, etc.
PC, MODX 6, KeyLab MK II, nanoKontrol 2, iTwo interface, DT 990 Pro and HS7 monitors.

User avatar
KVRist
228 posts since 29 Apr, 2019

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:53 am

EnGee wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:11 am
@ antic304: No need to apologise. Actually you added something I didn't know (that marked with red) ;)

@ MusikFreq: There are two very valuable bars to show. One is the "Info View" (from the menu, View/Additional Views/Info View) and the other is the "Record Panel" (Also from the View menu). Those are very handy especially while learning S1. Here in the image below I'm pressing the "Alt" key and hovering the mouse on the end of the clip. It would stretch the events in this case not only making the clip longer (the mouse arrow doesn't show, but you can try it yourself). The Info View update dynamically whenever your mouse arrow hovering at. Also, if you press a modifier (like Ctrl, Shift, Alt), it changes and highlights the action you want to do.
The Record Panel is very useful for recording takes or recording over what you have ... etc. Read or watch tutorials about. It worth it really :)
Okay... This is actually becoming more and more interesting as I now see the option of quantized inputs and many other things now. thanks

User avatar
KVRAF
7937 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:59 am

MuzikFreq wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:53 am
Okay... This is actually becoming more and more interesting as I now see the option of quantized inputs and many other things now. thanks
That's a great benefit of threads like this one (there's one for every DAW by now).

Just post the things that piss you off. It's likely someone knows a workaround and we all learn :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRer
1 posts since 28 Jan, 2021

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:45 am

Logic Pro X is still my favorite but now I use S1 more.
I tranfer to S1 just because my mac computer is too old to run logic smoothly
I think S1 will be the future standard if presonus get more feature into it.
For now Presonus should make the MIDI Editing more powerful ^_^
And I'm the one who will not leave it. (ૢ˃ꌂ˂ૢ)

KVRist
333 posts since 25 Aug, 2019

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:36 am

Why you left us Studio One?!

User avatar
KVRAF
2545 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:14 am

I would have like the chance to use Studio One to leave it, unfortunately , from the get go, it never bloody worked. So I gave up.

So I stuck with Cubase.
Forward ever, Backward never

KVRAF
6808 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:37 am

I haven't left it, but I'm not using it. It is still installed.
I'm waiting for a future update to see if they fix that bouncing bug when using a hardware. They have ironed the CPU problem before, and now it is better than Cubase in the CPU management. The bug is not important itself, but fixing it makes me feel confidence in using S1. Anyway, it might take time, however, I'm not selling my license because I really like its workflow and design, so I don't think I will give up any time soon :)
Cubase Artist 11, NI, Arturia, u-he, Synapse Audio, etc.
PC, MODX 6, KeyLab MK II, nanoKontrol 2, iTwo interface, DT 990 Pro and HS7 monitors.

User avatar
KVRist
251 posts since 17 Sep, 2020

Post Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:11 am

I still have it installed, but I've stopped using it. Not because it's a bad DAW or anything like that. It's a great DAW for music.

But in terms of audio post work it can't do the things that Nuendo or Pro Tools can. So, I'm going to sell it along with Reason. I'm keeping Ableton as it's a fantastic for sound design alone.

PS - I'm not a big fan of PT, Nuendo is a much more user-friendly and is better for sound design (imo).

KVRAF
2641 posts since 6 Dec, 2002 from Ljubljana/ Slovenia

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:56 am

I might leave it as its midi sucks balls (not in a good way).

But apart from that it looks great and I'm pretty fast in it. I was using Cubase before (until 5.5), hated it. Reaper is fugly, I can't use Live for mixing...

k

p.s.: Is it possible that S1 midi timing would improve if I changed from Focusrite Scarlett to RME Fireface? Its timing is definetly off (notes get recorded as rushed but I can't say how many ms ahead).

KVRist
50 posts since 23 Jan, 2006 from SCOTLAND

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:00 pm

Waste of money buying a new interface when you could just tweak this. Unless you really want to buy an RME of course. Their drivers are supposed to be excellent and give very low latency.
studio one options.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
KVRAF
7937 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:59 pm

soulata wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:56 am
...its midi sucks balls (not in a good way).
Good you elaborated on that, because I was confused for a second there :hihi:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”