How's FL Studio 20?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

clipnotic wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:35 pm I started a new track in FL Studio two hours ago and I drunk some lockdown beers and meanhwile that track has 3 minutes ... that's FL Studio! :D
So you had to search two hours to find a way to loop one clip? Yeah, that's how I remember FL! :clown:

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:24 pm
clipnotic wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:35 pm I started a new track in FL Studio two hours ago and I drunk some lockdown beers and meanhwile that track has 3 minutes ... that's FL Studio! :D
So you had to search two hours to find a way to loop one clip? Yeah, that's how I remember FL! :clown:
well, looping clips is for beginners, making full tracks with a bunch of synths in some hours is for the real elite! :D

I also tried Ableton 7, 8, 9, Cubase, Sonar 8, Reaper, Bitwig ... but for producing I chose the real good one FL Studio! :wink:

larm wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:49 pm I so hope per-clip crossfade comes to audio clips, seems like they are working on something in that style :hyper:
Easier advanced fades for audio clips shall be one of the highlights of FLS 21 (I think this will include cross fades too)... that was already stated in one thread...

Reefius wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:14 pm Just for fun I tried FL Studio again... Took me about 10 minutes to get frustrated by it and quit. Truly horrible workflow.
I have no idea why I ever bought a license for it.
Everything has a learning curve and will cause frustration if too much rewiring of the brain is required especially at the start.
Use it a for a few weeks/months and then you can make an informed decision, 10 minutes is hardly enough time.

wuworld wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:05 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:02 pm What do you use now?
I've used Studio One since it came out. I'm a music producer who started doing hip hop, but am now focused on electronic/pop music. I know Studio One very well and wanted to see what else it out. I used Fl before Studio One. Didn't like it at the time. Now it's gotten a lot better.

Do to my Cubase 7 and Live 8 experiences, I see Studio One could be going down that road. So if I need to move on I will. Never wanna go through that again.
It's so personal, we disregard quirks in favor of workflow or features we find useful, if you are comfortable working with some tool and in the end of the day you get the job done, who cares what any other DAW have, there's plenty of things that it doesn't have and one most important, it's not comfortable as your trusty one.

wuworld wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:10 pm
tooneba wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:51 pm
wuworld wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:07 pm How's the PC, and mac performance
It feels snappy so far if I compare to ableton. Adding tracks, re-arranging order, adding FX lag ableton 1-1x sec. It's underwhelming considering running on beefy CPU. I can't comment for mac.
So far I'm impressed with FL. I know Studio One very very well in terms of music production use. Which workflow do you prefer for yourself with FL, and Ableton? I haven't touched Live since version 8 (when I left) after the bugs mess.
I prefer ableton's straightforward locator behavior on audio track as you can place it by click anywhere on clip and Chop(ctrl+E), fade, etc. But I hate its midi track behavior. Every time when you open pianoroll by double-click the locator go back to the beginning of the clip. Ableton's Piano roll area window management is mess. It's sharing its state with audio clip view. You'll adjust its size every time you go back and forth between audio and midi. Other than that, I think it's matter of preference, how you work and features you are expecting to be there by default.

I just can’t stand the FL piano roll division system. :bang:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

xbitz wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:26 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:18 pm
lotus2035 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:16 pm
wuworld wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:24 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:19 pm All I can say is that FL Studio 21 (hopefully by Q2 next year) is going to be mind blowing.
What are they adding?
I'm curious too, all I know about is an upgraded EQ in the upcoming 20.8.
So far, the new stuff that is in the betas isn't that interesting, but recently teased features like glitch-free loading of plugins (already in 20.8 beta), merge automation clips and selectable playlist tracks are quite huge, at least for me. And this is just a start. I am expecting more exciting features in coming months. I have a good engagement on IL forums and have given tons of suggestions/requests which I always keep pushing for implementation.

When it comes to working quick, nothing can come close to FL Studio. It might not be the best for recording/mixing, but it has come a long way and there's lots to come in near future.
posted the poll yesterday, https://strawpoll.com/2jhzdb6gx/r about what's next it was started by IL,

- audio editing (plugins like NewTone, NewTime, Edison) will be integrated into the playlist editor
- track mode based workflow will be improved further (and further workflow enhancements)
- theming(skins)
- and surprises :D (like multi-track operations, it was demoed yesterday https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1550890 )
Oh, so that's you. :D Didn't you post this a few months ago on Looptallk?

IIRC, I had voted for "Improved Playlist (Track header displays linked mixer track's controls)". :tu:
"Improved Audio Editing (Fades, In-Playlist warping/pitch correction etc)" would be my second vote.

It seems like we will get both in FL Studio 21. :pray:

Judging from the teaser like mergeable Automation clips and selectable playlist tracks that were already made from IL, the upcoming betas will include already great stuff...

I am not sure if there will be anything more of new stuff in the current 20.8 circle though, but the released ones until now contained already big big helpers!!

oops I thought about FL 21, in FL 20.8 I'm still waiting for the automation source/target trackings
https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1547254
https://forum.image-line.com/viewtopic. ... 0#p1545431

ps. btw. IMO PolyStep sequencer has the best usable pattern-based workflow(because of its note key based pattern triggering) in Reason, just Reason itself is outdated, but it can be used nicely in Bitwig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFWmvua39CI just its pattern selector has to be automated, hopefully, the next Reason will usable again fingers crossed
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Reefius wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:14 pm Just for fun I tried FL Studio again... Took me about 10 minutes to get frustrated by it and quit. Truly horrible workflow.
I was the same for a long time but recently I've been enjoying using it. It's very different from every other DAW I've used and was hard to adapt to, but once I got used to some of its idiosyncrasies and gave up on a few other things it got fun.

Still hate: no snap to lines; recording is weird. I use FL Studio for a certain type of song and other DAWs for other types. It has its place and it just keeps getting better and more powerful.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

How’s FL Studio 20?

Sort of depends on what you want.

I find it to be a tad convoluted, yet at the same time very powerful. I particularly like the Patcher, which gives you an environment to quickly and easily route a bunch of synths and effects together. I also like Edison, the audio editor, and the synths are solid.

The fact that everything isn’t exactly straightforward might be a turn off though.
Yo Leroy!

pough wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:31 pm
I was the same for a long time but recently I've been enjoying using it. It's very different from every other DAW I've used and was hard to adapt to, but once I got used to some of its idiosyncrasies and gave up on a few other things it got fun.

Still hate: no snap to lines; recording is weird. I use FL Studio for a certain type of song and other DAWs for other types. It has its place and it just keeps getting better and more powerful.
they've created a quite comprehensive video about the new workflow
https://youtu.be/2BNH0EsyuXU?t=33
from 0:33, mainly just simply should drop everything to the track headers
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

pough wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:31 pm Still hate: no snap to lines; recording is weird. I use FL Studio for a certain type of song and other DAWs for other types. It has its place and it just keeps getting better and more powerful.
I think with V21 we will see a lot of improvements in the playlist which will allow a much more linear type of workflow for those who want...

I am with you in regards of snapping... I don´t record anything so this doesn´t bother me at all... but for me i.e. having groups in groups would be a biggie...

Some devs have already stated that there will be some big changes coming they´ve been working on since 2018 so every FLS user can keep his hopes high...

I am sure they will not disappoint us... 8)

xbitz wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:58 amthey've created a quite comprehensive video about the new workflow...
Yeah, this finally made it "usable" for me, i.e. I could wrap my head around what's connected to what :D

Do they still do birthday offers? I've got one in 2 weeks... :help:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”