Which DAW draws clips best, i.e. in a most aesthetical & legible way?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

Which DAW draws clips best, i.e. in a most aesthetical & legible way?

Ableton Live
29%
Bitwig Studio
11%
Cakewalk by Bandlab
4%
Cubase
17%
Digital Performer
1%
FL Studio
9%
Logic Pro
4%
ProTools
4%
Reaper
13%
Reason
1%
Studio One
6%

Total votes: 90

RELATED
PRODUCTS

apoclypse wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:04 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:00 am
apoclypse wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:46 am Whoever voted for Live must be blind.
53% of voters are blind :shock: ;)
No they are probably just fanboys. Just look at the awful aliasing. The kick samples don't even show the wave information near the onset. It looks really bad. Bitwig in comparison is crispy, no aliasing, the onset information on the front to the clip is still there you can tell what's happening. So I stand by what I said.
Ah, I see. Bitwig fanboi eh?

apoclypse wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:46 am Whoever voted for Live must be blind.
No they are probably just fanboys. Just look at the awful aliasing. The kick samples don't even show the wave information near the onset. It looks really bad. Bitwig in comparison is crispy, no aliasing, the onset information on the front to the clip is still there you can tell what's happening. So I stand by what I said.
I agree... the waveform for sure looks cleaner in Bitwig than Live...

I prefer the lower contrast of Bitwig... the others look too cartoonish... but I think the OP has adjust things in his monitor or something? I don't remember them looking that way.

Just look at the awful aliasing.
You see aliasing in Live's waveforms?
Please be so kind as circle them in the image, I can't see it.

I really enjoy Live, especially after the evolution after 9. Very clean, feels organized. My only small issue is some of the colors can be really ugly, and they’re a bit hard to differentiate and choose from the color picker. Logic handles colors a little better, and also looks very clean.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:31 pm

I prefer the lower contrast of Bitwig... the others look too cartoonish... but I think the OP has adjust things in his monitor or something? I don't remember them looking that way.
No, I didn't. And obviously screen capture wouldn't include any color tweaks in monitor. But indeed Live - I'm assuming you're alluding to it? - got much punchier and saturated with v10+
Last edited by antic604 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:58 pm Samplitude is missing. It's ugly, but has the best waveform display. Then Reaper - less ugly, less good (spectral peaks). Then DP - has at least spectral display.
it's comparisonics for me that sets it apart, I agree with you but one of the things that makes samp great at this is actually a third party program iirc...but it is something the devs have to implement...again iirc
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:45 pm

No, I didn't. And obviously screen capture wouldn't include and color tweaks in monitor. But indeed Live - I'm assuming you're alluding to it? - got much punchier and saturated with v10+
thanks... I prefer the less saturated look. Current Live is too punchy and saturated. Looks like many photos these days where saturation is turned up and it no longer looks natural.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:03 pm

No, I didn't. And obviously screen capture wouldn't include and color tweaks in monitor. But indeed Live - I'm assuming you're alluding to it? - got much punchier and saturated with v10+
thanks... I prefer the less saturated look. Current Live is too punchy and saturated. Looks like many photos these days where saturation is turned up and it no longer looks natural.
Sure, it's a very personal preference.

Since Live 10 it became clear to me why Live - with default grey theme - is very often used to showcase plugins: they just pop out against its otherwise bland background. And the same things happens with clips, too. I have to say I like it, but can definitely see why someone could feel it's overblown or cartoonish.
Music tech enthusiast

Hink wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:01 pm
ReleaseCandidate wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:58 pm Samplitude is missing. It's ugly, but has the best waveform display. Then Reaper - less ugly, less good (spectral peaks). Then DP - has at least spectral display.
it's comparisonics for me that sets it apart, I agree with you but one of the things that makes samp great at this is actually a third party program iirc...but it is something the devs have to implement...again iirc
Yes, that's true, that's Comparisonics (I forgot the name a long time ago ;). Reaper uses AFAIK some home-brew implementation of it.

Live is very clear and legible, for both waveforms and MIDI notes. And looks great. It is a neat and coherent program.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:23 pm
Ah, I see. Bitwig fanboi eh?
In-terms of how crispy lines and wavs and text look yes. Otherwise like I said I prefer the cubase does it and I'm not even a cubase user.

Say what you want about the Cairo library about how over engineered it is or how outdated it is, it can produce beautiful crispy smooth lines.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:04 pmNo they are probably just fanboys. Just look at the awful aliasing. The kick samples don't even show the wave information near the onset. It looks really bad. Bitwig in comparison is crispy, no aliasing, the onset information on the front to the clip is still there you can tell what's happening. So I stand by what I said.
Just for kicks...

Music tech enthusiast

I have to admit, the low Logic score is about right. It looks like the graphics haven't been updated since Logic Pro 9 from the dark ages.
This is a long-overdue request from many Logic users.
Edgar Rothermich
(iMac5K, 32GB)
YouTube Videos https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Books for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, GarageBand and FCPx http://DingDingMusic.com/
My Instagram for Logic Pro X, Pro Tools https://www.instagram.com/edgarrothermich/

antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:07 pm
pdxindy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:03 pm

Sure, it's a very personal preference.

Since Live 10 it became clear to me why Live - with default grey theme - is very often used to showcase plugins: they just pop out against its otherwise bland background. And the same things happens with clips, too. I have to say I like it, but can definitely see why someone could feel it's overblown or cartoonish.
the cartoonish look depends on the used skin around it
Push flickers in the same colors as the clips so can have a lovely Xmas/rural disco feeling during the whole year :D
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

antic604 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:39 pm
apoclypse wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:04 pmNo they are probably just fanboys. Just look at the awful aliasing. The kick samples don't even show the wave information near the onset. It looks really bad. Bitwig in comparison is crispy, no aliasing, the onset information on the front to the clip is still there you can tell what's happening. So I stand by what I said.
Just for kicks...

Okay so if you look at Live. You see the jitteriness in the wave cycle lines? It's like the sub pixel antialiasing is having a hard time making the lines smooth. It's even more apparent to me when those wave cycles are more closely packed together. Bitwig doesn't have that issue as far as I can tell or it's mitigated by the their cycle display being filled in versus just a curve so its less noticeable. It also helps that the wave information is less thick and slightly tinted to the color of the clip so it looks like it has detail as you start to zoom out and the clips get smaller in the view, it doesn't look like one big black blob the way it does in Live. It doesn't seem like the lines point size changes that much as you zoom in or out which imo is contributing to the lines looking too busy as you zoom out imo.

Not that Bitwig is perfect there is aliasing in Bitwig compared to Ableton on the vertically zoomed/expanded clips. Ableton does this cool thing where it transitions to points at extreme zoom in levels, but in general the anti-aliasing is always on as you zoom into the wav which is nice. I just don't like the blobby looking wavs when looking at an overview of my project in Ableton. It looks jittery and way to contrasty with no details at extreme zoom out levels while Bitwig still retains detail at project overview zoom levels and very little pixel jitter to my eyes.

I know I'm just being nitpick-y since I'm sure people just wanted to get into which clips (wav and midi) overall look better, but the wav rendering was the first thing that caught my attention.

Reason's btw is a travesty, along with Logic.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”