Cubase Pro 10.5.20 is *no longer* the perfect DAW

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

3150 posts since 12 May, 2011 from Everywhere and nowhere, baby

Post Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:56 am

Reefius wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:51 am
Windowing bugs? Doy you mean that Cubase disappears to the background after adding a plugin? This one is still present in Cubase 11.
The 'solution' here is to make sure all other running programs are minimized (on Windows).
As interesting as that one sounds, :scared:, the one I mean is the one where windows open up with the contents shifted 4 or 5 pixels to the right. Happens on all the windows. But that one is now fixed, hurrah!
BitChute
SoundCloud
What is life without a little whimsy?

User avatar
KVRian
1123 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:00 am

I love how this update stuck 0.3MB before the end of the download. Download Assistant is great :)
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

KVRAF
28116 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:08 pm

Sorry for offtopic'ing the thread a bit (and sorry for the potentially stupid question), but... is it correct that the VST Quick Controls are MIDI learned via the Remote Control Editor? So... they basically show the mapping set in the RCE?
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF
21321 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:08 am

jens wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:45 am
piano-roll editor / edit velocity [...]
The pencil tool should appear automatically as soon as I hover over that area of the GUI.
In fact that's exactly what happens. :shrug:
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KVRAF
21321 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:25 am

chk071 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:08 pm
Sorry for offtopic'ing the thread a bit (and sorry for the potentially stupid question), but... is it correct that the VST Quick Controls are MIDI learned via the Remote Control Editor? So... they basically show the mapping set in the RCE?
They can correlate but unless you want to specifically map from a given control surface there's not a lot of point in it, a MIDI track assigned to an instrument is going to automatically have QC in the Inspector. The remote control thing has quite a few more things it can do and is kind of more geared to controlling a mixer paradigm than MIDI in its particular sense. CF: Mackie Universal. But you can use Quick Control learn from the Inspector rather more readily.
10.5 manual pg 744, 11 manual pg 750 and on for a few pages. The bit regarding the Generic Remote describes looking at the actual device to know its actual settings btw, so the Generic is not pre-mapped at all. The Mackie was at least at one time. I have actually never used it, I write automation for host automation mixage rather than use a physical device to move faders. The things I want it to do it haven't been possible here, either (automation from VE Pro), it's stuck in an earlier era.

KVRAF
20703 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:40 am

jens wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:45 am
The pencil tool should appear automatically as soon as I hover over that area of the GUI.
In fact that's exactly what happens. :shrug:
Not here - are we realy talking about the same?

KVRAF
3636 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:49 am

Jaxeto wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:31 am
Features: Cubase > Studio One > Logic
Learning Curve: Cubase > Logic > Studio One
Price: Cubase > Studio One > Logic (if you already own a Mac)
That's a bit lopsided.
Cubase's routing is whack
Cubase's multi-track phase locked warping doesn't exist.
It does have sidechaining, but it works on VST3, which sometimes works or not

Price of cubase is also insanity. I bought 7.5 a few years ago (about the same time i bought logic) and if i wanted to keep it up to date i'd pay for half a new mac in this time.

User avatar
KVRAF
21321 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:55 am

I don't get how the pencil tool makes a distinction in the velocity lane between two identical start points. I don't care if it's weird, it seems kind of obvious. I have notes pretty close together and if I zoom out I can direct the pencil to do it, but I do incessant MIDI editing and I like the Info Line over a visual guess of velocity a lot of the time (sometimes an instrument is not all that fine, of course). :shrug: I think setting identical start points defies musical sense in favor of anality or laziness (unless the idea is to make boringly stiff pseudo-music) if you want to get into personal viewpoints. I don't use 'every other host', I work with what I have. Not very KVR is it. :D

As to the latter, I tried to take a screen shot but the GUI of the pencil tool is not captured. Yes, it has done since I can recall. As soon as I move, with the selection tool in hand, to the velocity lane the pencil tool appears. Clear enough?

KVRAF
20703 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:02 am

jancivil wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:55 am
I think setting identical start points defies musical sense in favor of anality or laziness if you want to get into personal viewpoints..

You are saying so much more about yourself and your own limited musical horizon than you probably are aware of.... :shock: :lol:

You, see, when I play a chord, I have three or more notes with identical start points - it's that simple - and the same of course goes for (say) a kick and a hi-hat that have been played by a real drummer
(same with programmed beats, of course, but I am trying to illustrate for you that MIDI is not necessarily something that is set but rather played)

Sometimes it's better to simply say nothing. :shrug:



"Defies musical sense" - oh, the irony.

User avatar
KVRAF
21321 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:10 am

:roll: In reality, musicians do not have the capacity for that kind of accuracy, and it's a really quick tell if what you want is realism and human kind of feel. Your argument is that would expand one's musical horizons? A bit delusional.
There is a solid reason for my opinion; yours? A bit delusional.

You are quite mistaken.
Tell you what, demonstrate it happening consistently for a drummer. Exact starting points kick and hihat, anything. I'm not saying it never happens but it's not going to be very f**king prevalent. I was drumming in 1966, genius.

Yeah, I'm not aware of shit that isn't real. That's an assertion that is not even close to based in reality.
Last edited by jancivil on Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
20703 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:10 am

jancivil wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:55 am
unless the idea is to make boringly stiff pseudo-music
That's actually even worse than your other uncalled for attempts at insulting me because I dared to somehow criticize your favourite tool.

Boringly stiff pseudo music?

How on earth did you come up with that?

KVRAF
20703 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:13 am

jancivil wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:10 am
:roll: In reality, musicians do not have the capacity for that kind of accuracy, and it's a really quick tell if what you want is realism and human kind of feel. Your argument is that would expand one's musical horizons? It doesn't happen. There is a solid reason for my opinion.

You are quite mistaken.
Tell you what, demonstrate it happening consistently for a drummer. Exact starting points kick and hihat, anything. I'm not saying it never happens but it's not going to be very f**king prevalent. I was drumming in 1966, genius.

Yeah, I'm not aware of shit that isn't real. That's an assertion that is not even close to based in reality.
Jesus - what did I do to deserve this kind of... of... what is this even?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you Bones daughter by any chance? - Oh, nope - you are much too old for that when you've been drumming in '66 - his mother?

User avatar
KVRAF
21321 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:17 am

You argue rather childishly. That's an opinion, you don't share it. I came in to sort you on a fact of how the thing works, even spent some time trying to demonstrate it and you said something I don't see is very weird to you. So I said I think needing that is weird to me. I base that opinion in experience with music and deep editing of timing which I don't think you share either. A bunch of things all hit at a precise point is mechanical. You aren't going to be able to demonstrate it but you're certain you have it all sussed.

You're welcome. But GFY

KVRAF
20703 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:18 am

:lol:

In fact I said it is weird that you can not imagine how this is supposed to work when I already explained in my original post that the pre-requisite would be that the individual note has been selected - so when it is selected it is selected, you see - selected as in selected.

I could not care less about you, your music or your way of working to be honest - and it also is not the topic of this thread.

User avatar
KVRAF
21321 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:22 am

"Jesus - what did I do to deserve this kind of... of... what is this even?"
do you read the shite you type? You actually asserted, insultingly as fuckall that my opinion of musical time is out of some super-narrow experience and additionally asserted some_bullshit about it. So my experience with musical time is so long as to be inconceivable to you? Nice reveal.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”