Cubase Pro 10.5.20 is *no longer* the perfect DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

As much as I like Cubase, it really annoys me that the audio gets interrupted with everything I do. Steinberg really need to revise their audio engine.

Googly Smythe wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:49 am It must be, because it hasn't been updated since May 2020, even though v11 has just had one. Steinberg obviously can't think of anything that needs fixing.

Was that a rant!?
Idk if your kidding but re: your title

Yes , yes it is indeed (for win 10 x64)

(For Mac I say Logic Pro) but overall you are right 10.5.2 is the best DAW made to date

Crholdin wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:00 pm
Googly Smythe wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:49 am It must be, because it hasn't been updated since May 2020, even though v11 has just had one. Steinberg obviously can't think of anything that needs fixing.

Was that a rant!?
Idk if your kidding but re: your title

Yes , yes it is indeed (for win 10 x64)

(For Mac I say Logic Pro) but overall you are right 10.5.2 is the best DAW made to date
viewtopic.php?p=8014913#p8014913 :tu:

Jaxeto wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:48 pm I've always felt that Cubase was better suited to recording and Logic to producing electronic music, though both could do either very well.
I would disagree - Cubase is extremely convoluted when it comes to multi-takes/ comping - therefor I can absolutely not recommend it for serious audio-recording based projects...
Studio One imo clearly pisses all over it in that regard.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

It doesn’t do half of what cubase does out the box though

I've been using and regularly upgrading Cubase since 1998. There's no doubt it's one of the most comprehensive, feature rich DAWs on the market, but I do wish Steinberg would develop a machine based authorization system that no longer requires the hardware dongle. It's irritating enough that I basically never use it on my laptop and just default to other DAWs the majority of the time. All that time spent in other programs has gradually weaned me off of Cubase to the point where I sometimes wonder why I keep upgrading my license. Hopefully they're working on some kind of solution to this issue which likely turns off a good number of new, potential users.

Crholdin wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:43 am It doesn’t do half of what cubase does out the box though
Name at least 20 things than?

Cubase has lots of features but they require too many mouse clocks to get to them. The gui and menus are very disorganized and clumpsy.

For example, to do tap tempo:

Cubase: transport menu > tempo > new window pops up > click on tap tempo > tap.

Studio One: just tap on the “tempo” on the bottom of the window.

Studio One is missing midi velocity compress feature. This is one of the things that prevents me from jumping to studio one completely.

Also Cubase is famous for getting its preferences file corrupt which makes some things not work. Which requires trashing presences.
And Cubase always hangs on exit.
Too many old bugs not fixed for long time.
And yes the audio stopping when moving things around etc is very annoying
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Crholdin wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:43 am It doesn’t do half of what cubase does out the box though
Indeed, it doesn't interrupt playback with everything I do :P

I am not even sure that this still applies - but even if, it changes nothing at all in regards to what I said.

Cubase is a bit weird - the started all over again with SX - and yet it already feels like a dinosaur of sorts again - I am not quite sure how they managed to achieve that... :hihi:

(well, actually I know how... )
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm:

Your right me too
They all left to make ableton and bitwig

Ableton live 11 is most impressive

also 10.0.6 here...happy Cubase user since the year 2000.

No, Cubase 11 is the perfect one.

I skipped 10.5 tho, so you might be right, who knows :)
More BPM please

TS-12 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:51 am ...
Also Cubase is famous for getting its preferences file corrupt which makes some things not work. Which requires trashing presences.
And Cubase always hangs on exit.
Too many old bugs not fixed for long time.
And yes the audio stopping when moving things around etc is very annoying
I never had to trash the preferences in like 15 years, and the hang on exit is usually a problem with plugins (though those don't cause a hang in other DAWS, so it's in part still a Cubase problem).

But yeah, lots of bugs that usually don't affect all people and those tend not to get fixed... not a problem unless it affects you, then it's annoying af... :x

Crholdin wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:18 pm
jens wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:28 pm:

Your right me too
They all left to make ableton and bitwig

Ableton live 11 is most impressive

*haha* yeah...

no, in all seriousness: it's because they seem to have never been very careful at all when adding features... they just kept adding stuff without apparently caring much about consinstency, workflow and potential redundancy.

A great counter-example imo would be Reason. They always seem to have been super-super careful. It's very very bare in comparison to Cubase but it's totally streamlined and consistent - and thus it aged very well (quite unlike Cubase) - and for me as a consequence an absolutely joy to work with - especially when it comes to audio-recording.

So even though I love shiny new features like the next guy, I think feature-count isn't even half the story when it comes to judging software.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”