Alias / Linked / Shared / Pooled Clips - are you using them?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion

Are you using alias / linked / shared / pooled clips?

Yes, all the time
22
34%
Yes, occasionally
9
14%
No, although my (main) DAW has it
18
28%
No, my (main) DAW does not have it
11
17%
I had no idea there's such a feature
4
6%
 
Total votes: 64

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20858 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:59 am

Abiah wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:57 am
i will never understand why users spend free time policing against feature requests that wouldn't negatively affect their workflow in anyway.
For the same reason as you posting that you want such a feature in a place where no developer will ever see it.

This is just a random thread in a general forum. The hosts forum is for users. For them to discuss DAW's and DAW features... in favor of or not. Posting a thread here is an invitation for user comments. And the thread title itself asks for peoples feedback on whether they use alias clips. And an obvious follow on is, if you are not using them, why not.

The thread has done exactly what it set out to do.

Anyway, you can be at ease... this thread will not have the slightest influence on whether Ableton or Bitwig adds aliased clips in the future. :tu:

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF

Topic Starter

11145 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:07 pm

apoclypse wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:50 am
Ofcourse. This is a public forum. However you asked a question about their workflow.
Yes. Notice how none of the poll options says "I don't use it and don't want you to have it either"
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

apoclypse
KVRian
829 posts since 17 Oct, 2018

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:10 pm

antic604 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:07 pm
apoclypse wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:50 am
Ofcourse. This is a public forum. However you asked a question about their workflow.
Yes. Notice how none of the poll options says "I don't use it and don't want you to have it either"
That's silly. None of the polls were about Bitwig or Ableton either. What's your point?
Studio One 5.2 // Bitwig 3.3.4 // Logic Pro X 10.6 // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // MPC // Force // Maschine

User avatar
melomood
KVRAF
5632 posts since 15 Oct, 2017 from U.S.

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:19 pm

I don't recall saying I didn't want other people to have it. I did say something about not wanting it being a poll option & the advantage of being a human when it comes to humanizing. I don't think that's the same as saying 'I don't want you to have it'
Living rent free

Abiah
KVRist
40 posts since 4 Dec, 2008

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:20 pm

I'll go to my grave never understanding why music technology threads self-terminate in this way, with furious arm folding. like a disasterous night at the pub.

apoclypse
KVRian
829 posts since 17 Oct, 2018

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:28 pm

Abiah wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:20 pm
I'll go to my grave never understanding why music technology threads self-terminate in this way, with furious arm folding. like a disasterous night at the pub.
Because people can't read. Those who don't want or use alias clips, are saying they don't want the feature but are not actively saying others shouldn't have it, and those who want the features are reading that as they want to stop us from getting what I want. Which is not the case.

In this day age of group think and circle jerk social media if someone doesn't agree or like what you like they must automatically be against you. There can never be a real discussion with that type of thinking because it turns into us vs them really quickly. Once it gets to that level, people stop listening.
Studio One 5.2 // Bitwig 3.3.4 // Logic Pro X 10.6 // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // MPC // Force // Maschine

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20858 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:40 pm

Abiah wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:20 pm
I'll go to my grave never understanding why music technology threads self-terminate in this way, with furious arm folding. like a disasterous night at the pub.
Because music technology is mostly men and men for the most part have poor skills in dealing with difference so self defense mechanisms like sarcasm and the targeting of those seen as lesser swiftly take over. Men are also generally uncomfortable with uncertainty so the minds parse the complexity of real life into simplistic us vs them scenarios. The male ego really is fragile.

Abiah
KVRist
40 posts since 4 Dec, 2008

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:47 pm

its like brexit x the patriarchy. Well I appreciated your input gents. here's to a fresh implementation of ghost clips in all daws, although not as default behaviour.

User avatar
pdxindy
KVRAF
20858 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:48 pm

Abiah wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:47 pm
its like brexit x the patriarchy. Well I appreciated your input gents. here's to a fresh implementation of ghost clips in all daws, although not as default behaviour.
:tu:

and good luck getting a refund from Korg!

machine_spirit
KVRist
96 posts since 10 Aug, 2021

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:23 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:40 pm
Because music technology is mostly men and men for the most part have poor skills in dealing with difference so self defense mechanisms like sarcasm and the targeting of those seen as lesser swiftly take over. Men are also generally uncomfortable with uncertainty so the minds parse the complexity of real life into simplistic us vs them scenarios. The male ego really is fragile.
The vast majority of humanity judge harshly and have no interest in truly considering other viewpoints. The male ego is not fragile, competition between males for reproductive rights has been fierce - showing tolerance/understanding is asking for trouble as far as that goes. It's obvious that this universe promotes a ruthless approach in a fundamental way, only very complex structures (like modern society) can mitigate this to some extent.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF

Topic Starter

11145 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:37 pm

apoclypse wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:10 pm
antic604 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:07 pm
apoclypse wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:50 am
Ofcourse. This is a public forum. However you asked a question about their workflow.
Yes. Notice how none of the poll options says "I don't use it and don't want you to have it either"
That's silly. None of the polls were about Bitwig or Ableton either. What's your point?
It didn't have to, but it went that way because they're the only 2 that don't have it.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

.jon
KVRAF
5768 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:05 pm

Dionysos wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:03 am
antic604 wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:40 am
If a bread-and-butter DAW feature is badly implemented, then no wonder people don't (find a way to) use it and are not convinced :shrug:

I would think this is obvious?
I called it bread-and-butter because I don't believe it's actually very controversial or commonly badly implemented at all, at least among normal users who just get on with things. I just get tired of "defending" a feature that I know would be very useful to me against a load of mostly theoretical concern and "I don't need it so neither do you".
The usefulness of ghost clips is theoretical, at least among normal uses who just finish tracks. Lack of that feature in a DAW is just another excuse for the procastrinator hobbyist crowd, "I would totally make music if my DAW had ghost clips".

I used ghost clips in Cubase, until I realised "make unique" is just an extra step in the process, far outweighing any abstract possibilities linking clips might have on paper.

Deleting and copying clips on tracks is just so easy, fast and robust, normal users prefer to stick to best practices that simply work.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF

Topic Starter

11145 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:04 pm

.jon wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:05 pm
...at least among normal use(r)s who just finish tracks [...] normal users prefer to stick to best practices that simply work.
Way to go, man! :clap: :dog:
Last edited by antic604 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF

Topic Starter

11145 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:10 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:40 pm
Because music technology is mostly men and men for the most part have poor skills in dealing with difference so self defense mechanisms like sarcasm and the targeting of those seen as lesser swiftly take over. Men are also generally uncomfortable with uncertainty so the minds parse the complexity of real life into simplistic us vs them scenarios. The male ego really is fragile.
While I totally disagree with the above generalisation; I still think you're right and I might've read too much into some of the statements I quoted. And perhaps I'm a bit insecure about not being a "true musician" or - let's face it - any musician at all :D

Sorry :hug: :oops:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Dionysos
KVRist
250 posts since 26 Sep, 2007

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:33 pm

.jon wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:05 pm
The usefulness of ghost clips is theoretical
It's not, but thanks for your nuanced input.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”