Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF
8307 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:24 am

Vortifex wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:22 am
...And the fact they announced it so early makes me suspicious that this is a major change and they are allowing time for users to get used to the idea...
Or abandon ship ;)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRian
1453 posts since 7 Jan, 2004

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:28 am

True. So far it's only speculation, no certainty about it at all.
Let's be positively surprised whith Steinberg upcomming new licence system.

I'll keep silent about it and only return when we know the details.
The more I hang around at KVR the less music I make.

KVRian
602 posts since 20 Apr, 2005

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:37 am

antic604 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:24 am
Vortifex wrote:
...And the fact they announced it so early makes me suspicious that this is a major change and they are allowing time for users to get used to the idea...
Or abandon ship ;)
That's just you I think! Which DAW are you using now anyway?

I doubt they will be able to, or want to, force everyone to something where no subscription equals not able to use it. I'm not sure that would even fly very well in the EU.

My guess is a subscription could include other software of theirs as a carrot.

KVRian
517 posts since 19 Oct, 2020

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:43 am

LeVzi wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:01 am
Don't steinberg own and run the eLicenser platform ? Therefore what happens to that ?
Yes.
VSL is going to change to Ilok (they announced today), so Elicenser is going to die.

KVRAF
2499 posts since 26 Aug, 2002 from here

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:44 am

The dongle is being removed so that "onboarding" is easier. I can see that can include a subscription but isn't it perfectly possible that this is a move to a computer based ID protocol only. That the "new environment" is just that - one the maybe requires an internet connection. Maybe the money making angle is a permanently replaceable back up licence subscription (ala ilok) rather than one to use the software.

Either way the rush for pitchforks seems a little premature
I believe every thread should devolve into character attacks and witch-burning. It really helps the discussion.

KVRAF
8307 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:00 am

_leras wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:37 am
antic604 wrote:
Vortifex wrote:
Or abandon ship ;)

I doubt they will be able to, or want to, force everyone to something where no subscription equals not able to use it. I'm not sure that would even fly very well in the EU.

All of them. And none of them.

And I was just joking. I'm keeping my 11 Pro license and the dongle :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
2561 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:26 am

ReleaseCandidate wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:43 am
LeVzi wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:01 am
Don't steinberg own and run the eLicenser platform ? Therefore what happens to that ?
Yes.
VSL is going to change to Ilok (they announced today), so Elicenser is going to die.
Hmmmmm this isnt looking good. If vengeance go to the iLok dongle, that will be the end of them. But they dumped the dongle for Avenger, so i'm hopeful they will for the other plugins.
Forward ever, Backward never

KVRAF
2561 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:29 am

antic604 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:00 am
_leras wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:37 am
antic604 wrote:
Vortifex wrote:
Or abandon ship ;)

All of them. And none of them.

And I was just joking. I'm keeping my 11 Pro license and the dongle :)
If you are allowed to. I'm hoping it will remain as it is for all current versions, but if the dongle goes and all go subscription, its bye bye Cubase... Question is, what will fill that void. (I can't see Steiny being that stupid though surely.)
Forward ever, Backward never

KVRian
1225 posts since 13 May, 2004 from Germany

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:47 am

Black day. You depend on an unreliable company like Steinberg for new authorisations then.
No way I will make that move as long as I can clone my current system and keep the dongle.

KVRAF
4136 posts since 7 Jun, 2012 from Warsaw

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:49 am

I don't accept any dongles, so if Steinberg wants my money, they better offer simple code activation :smack:

(no idea how it worked so far, but I'm interested in Padshop and possibly their other products as well).
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://djwarmonger.wordpress.com/
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

KVRian

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:50 am

To me it would be the best thing if Steinberg would go Ilok as well. Then the customer could chose if he want to stay with a dongle or be at Steinbergs mercy to get new authorisations.

KVRian

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:52 am

Just look how many products, hardware and software, Steinberg has abandoned already and don't give new authorisations/drivers anymore....

KVRian
1123 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:47 am

How many months or years it will take until their authorisation app will work properly? So far every company needed a lot of time to make it stable. Sorry but if I have to choose between eLicenser and authorisation app that's constantly broken (or even worst, require constant internet connection + is broken) then I prefer to stay with eLicenser.

Even current change of authorisation for C11 is broken to the point tgat if I want to try it, after trial period I must reinstall C10.5. How I can trust them that tgey will provide solid authorisation app when they can't manage even eLicenser anymore?
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

KVRAF
28116 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:53 am

The eLicenser software is an authorisation software as well... I really don't see the difference.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRist
176 posts since 5 Dec, 2014 from London

Post Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:14 am

He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”