Playing with Slices

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everyone,

I would like to take a loop/WAV file (for example, a few seconds of a drone), chop it up into several slices and then manipulate those slices to create variations of the original sound - for example, some slices would have delay applied, others would be pitch-shifted, bit crushed, etc. Once processed, I would like to play these processed slices individually using my keyboard, and sequence them, as well. Geist permits this, but Geist 1 doesn't do crossfades in looping a single slice, so I get clicks. I have Geist 2, as well, but the interface is very laggy for me. Egoist seems like it would be good for this (which I also have), but I can't seem to get it to play more than one slice at a time, which is necessary if I want to play "chords" using a slice and a pitch-shifted version of itself.

Can anyone recommend other programs that would allow me to do this? New Sonic Arts Nuance doesn't seem to have a sequencer (I know I can sequence in my DAW, but I am trying to find an "all in one" solution), and while HY Slicer can play more than one slice at a time using a midi keyboard, currently the sequencer is limited to playing just once slice per step. Am I missing other programs that could do this? Any thoughts or recommendations you may have would be very much appreciated!

Most samplers can do do that, and many DAWs come with a sampler. Do you have any samplers or more than one DAW?

hey

First that comes to mind: Studio one has a virtual instrument called impact that's like an MPC, 16 pads (but several banks), etc.
There is a workflow in S1 that allows you to chop a waveform and import it into impact, distributing the slices to the different pads. You then assign a different output for each pad then route all those channels into a summing bus. That will allow you to put different FX on any channel you fancy.
Is this useful at all?
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

Samplers can but I prefer doing my slice n plays in the drum rack where I can make adjustments & apply individual FX racks (I use Live)
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

bharris22 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:37 pm Hi Everyone,

I would like to take a loop/WAV file (for example, a few seconds of a drone), chop it up into several slices and then manipulate those slices to create variations of the original sound - for example, some slices would have delay applied, others would be pitch-shifted, bit crushed, etc. Once processed, I would like to play these processed slices individually using my keyboard, and sequence them, as well. Geist permits this, but Geist 1 doesn't do crossfades in looping a single slice, so I get clicks. I have Geist 2, as well, but the interface is very laggy for me. Egoist seems like it would be good for this (which I also have), but I can't seem to get it to play more than one slice at a time, which is necessary if I want to play "chords" using a slice and a pitch-shifted version of itself.

Can anyone recommend other programs that would allow me to do this? New Sonic Arts Nuance doesn't seem to have a sequencer (I know I can sequence in my DAW, but I am trying to find an "all in one" solution), and while HY Slicer can play more than one slice at a time using a midi keyboard, currently the sequencer is limited to playing just once slice per step. Am I missing other programs that could do this? Any thoughts or recommendations you may have would be very much appreciated!
can you not add some attack to remove the clicking?

Thank you, everyone!

@vurt - I have added a slightly delayed attack to try to remove the clicking, but Geist 1 does not seem to permit a change to attack (or release) at the end of the loop point of the sample, when it begins to loop back (the envelope kicks in after the pad/key is no longer pressed) - this is where I am getting a click I cannot seem to eliminate.

I have Ableton, and Maschine, as well - in researching this further, it seems I should be able to do this in either of those programs, too. As usual, I think I just need time to learn the tools :).

Here's a tut for Ableton's Simpler - https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/how-t ... es-simpler

The best plugin for this job is Image Line´s Slicex...which is available as VSTi as well

Not only that it´s a brilliant slicer as it´s got a complete audio editor integrated...
...it has the big advantage that you can drag a randomized midi file (or as many randomized ones as you like) into your Arranger which leads often to very interesting and useable results...

If you like to see it in action watch my video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh0wDEvMAJo&t

@bharris22

As I know TX16WX is able for slicing. But I never tried it for this.

Trancit wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:51 pm The best plugin for this job is Image Line´s Slicex...which is available as VSTi as well
No, it isn't anymore. Image Line stopped selling their VST.

But may be it is possible to buy it from resellers.

no
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Thank you everyone!

lobanov wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:30 pm
Trancit wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:51 pm The best plugin for this job is Image Line´s Slicex...which is available as VSTi as well
Oh...ok... I thought they stopped updating I didn´t know that they stopped selling...

Trancit wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:22 pm
lobanov wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:30 pm
Oh...ok... I thought they stopped updating I didn´t know that they stopped selling...
And that's a pity! Really cool slicer, I absolutely agree with you.

Slicex, it is already mentioned tho. You can drag the midi in your DAW of choice.

Slicex is king. Don't let anyone tell you Ableton's Simpler. It's an utter embarrassment in comparison.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”