Reason high-res beta starts soon!!!

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF
28478 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 am

machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:52 am
As a 1080P user I still find the Reason rack to be too small and look forward to higher resolution.
It really depends on your screen size.
I'm sure this is a joke
No, it isn't. It depends on your screen size, whether or not the Reason rack with 1080p appears big or not.

You can run Reason on a 7" tablet with 1080p, and it'll all be tiny, while it'll be very big when you run it at that resolution on a 32" display. Has nothing to with the resolution itself, but with the resolution/screen size ratio.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8863 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:10 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 am
MuzikFreq wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:28 am
4k is really only useful with really large panels as 27-32" displays will make the scaling tiny.
Totally agree. 32" might work, if you're relatively close to the screen. But, 27" 4k is pretty nuts, IMO.
I think this is a common misconception. You don't have to use 4K screen at 100% scaling! On a 27'' 4K panel at 200% everything will be the same size as if it would be 1080p, but 4x sharper & more precise. This is huge for web pages, documents, obviously working with graphics but also DAWs that support it - Bitwig, Live, FL Studio, Cubase, Studio One - just look way better.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
3389 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:12 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:52 am
As a 1080P user I still find the Reason rack to be too small and look forward to higher resolution.
It really depends on your screen size.
I'm sure this is a joke
No, it isn't. It depends on your screen size, whether or not the Reason rack with 1080p appears big or not.

You can run Reason on a 7" tablet with 1080p, and it'll all be tiny, while it'll be very big when you run it at that resolution on a 32" display. Has nothing to with the resolution itself, but with the resolution/screen size ratio.
That's some serious twisted logic. "high resolution is too expensive!" then you mention 32" displays???? :lol:


I'm using a 27" 1080P display, bog standard. Reason is too small on this display, period.

KVRAF
28478 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:13 am

antic604 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:10 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 am
MuzikFreq wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:28 am
4k is really only useful with really large panels as 27-32" displays will make the scaling tiny.
Totally agree. 32" might work, if you're relatively close to the screen. But, 27" 4k is pretty nuts, IMO.
I think this is a common misconception. You don't have to use 4K screen at 100% scaling! On a 27'' 4K panel at 200% everything will be the same size as if it would be 1080p, but 4x sharper & more precise. This is huge for web pages, documents, obviously working with graphics but also DAWs that support it - Bitwig, Live, FL Studio, Cubase, Studio One - just look way better.
If the apps scale correctly, yes. I have one or two apps which don't, Native Access, for example. Some installer dialogs are blurry on my 1080p laptop with 125% scaling as well.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8863 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:15 am

machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 am
I'm sure this is a joke, but I'm talking 1920x1080, about as bog standard as it gets. Reason 11 is still the tiniest DAW I own, a real squint fest. So yes, better resolution for sure, and hopefully the ability to resize the entire Application is coming.
Yeah. I'm testing the beta and even at 125% on a 1080p 15'' laptop it's way worse than Bitwig or Studio One at 100%. Lots of the elements of the GUI or devices and hit-boxes (where you need to click to perform something) are way too small. There's probably very little they can do for devices, especially 3rd party ones, but Reason's GUI deserves at least some fixes - those triangle that unfold tracks & automation lanes for example, or the ones that unfold devices in the Rack. You need gaming mouse precision to hit them reliably :(
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

KVRAF
28478 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:15 am

machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:12 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:52 am
As a 1080P user I still find the Reason rack to be too small and look forward to higher resolution.
It really depends on your screen size.
I'm sure this is a joke
No, it isn't. It depends on your screen size, whether or not the Reason rack with 1080p appears big or not.

You can run Reason on a 7" tablet with 1080p, and it'll all be tiny, while it'll be very big when you run it at that resolution on a 32" display. Has nothing to with the resolution itself, but with the resolution/screen size ratio.
That's some serious twisted logic. "high resolution is too expensive!" then you mention 32" displays???? :lol:


I'm using a 27" 1080P display, bog standard. Reason is too small on this display, period.
It's small, but, I can use Reason Lite on my 24.5" 1080p display here.

It depends how far you are from your display as well, of course. And how good your eyesight is. ;)
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF
3389 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:17 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:13 am
antic604 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:10 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 am
MuzikFreq wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:28 am
4k is really only useful with really large panels as 27-32" displays will make the scaling tiny.
Totally agree. 32" might work, if you're relatively close to the screen. But, 27" 4k is pretty nuts, IMO.
I think this is a common misconception. You don't have to use 4K screen at 100% scaling! On a 27'' 4K panel at 200% everything will be the same size as if it would be 1080p, but 4x sharper & more precise. This is huge for web pages, documents, obviously working with graphics but also DAWs that support it - Bitwig, Live, FL Studio, Cubase, Studio One - just look way better.
If the apps scale correctly, yes. I have one or two apps which don't, Native Access, for example. Some installer dialogs are blurry on my 1080p laptop with 125% scaling as well.
And now you defeat you're own argument. Those apps need updating for high resolution displays, which in turn helps all resolutions. It's science.

KVRAF
28478 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 am

I'm not defeating anything. On the contrary, it's rather counterproductive to run a resolution which makes stuff unreadable, and then scale the stuff to make it readable, just to have 5% more sharpness.

I just think you're a bit in war mode right now. ;)
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8863 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:13 am
If the apps scale correctly, yes. I have one or two apps which don't, Native Access, for example. Some installer dialogs are blurry on my 1080p laptop with 125% scaling as well.
Right. NI is one of the worst offenders in this. In some DAWs Reaktor devices - e.g. Monark - when scaled have the GUI and "logic" decoupled, so you try to twist a knob that you see, but the actual knob from the point of view of the plugin is elsewhere. "Hillarious" :D :dog:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
3389 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:20 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:15 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:12 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:52 am
As a 1080P user I still find the Reason rack to be too small and look forward to higher resolution.
It really depends on your screen size.
I'm sure this is a joke
No, it isn't. It depends on your screen size, whether or not the Reason rack with 1080p appears big or not.

You can run Reason on a 7" tablet with 1080p, and it'll all be tiny, while it'll be very big when you run it at that resolution on a 32" display. Has nothing to with the resolution itself, but with the resolution/screen size ratio.
That's some serious twisted logic. "high resolution is too expensive!" then you mention 32" displays???? :lol:


I'm using a 27" 1080P display, bog standard. Reason is too small on this display, period.
It's small, but, I can use Reason Lite on my 24.5" 1080p display here.

It depends how far you are from your display as well, of course. And how good your eyesight is. ;)
Sometimes, you just troll, it might be unintentional, but you seem to hate losing an argument, even if it means looking silly. The 27" is a Raven, I'm less than two feet from it, it sits on the desktop, most other plug ins are already high resolution and look great with scaling etc. Reason is tiny, it's out of date, there's nothing to argue about.

User avatar
KVRAF
1803 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from Seattle, WA - USA

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:21 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 am
Tronam wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:57 am
It's not like HiDPI displays are some new, up-and-coming technology. "Retina" MacBooks first launched in 2012 with the 5K iMacs following suit in 2014. Once you've spent a good amount of time staring at that level of razor sharp clarity, it's difficult to go back.
How fortunate that Apple, with their 16% market share world wide or something, aren't the center of the universe. :ud:

Such displays only got affordable a few years back. The average computer user doesn't buy a computer or laptop for 2.000 € plus. While many Mac users do.

Anyway, we can discuss this until next Christmas. Or, we just agree that the vast majority of users still use full HD displays, as that's a fact.
And what percentage of those systems spend their entire existence checking e-mail, paying bills, running Microsoft Office or collecting dust? I would've assumed that most here by now understood how pointless it is to bring up global install-base statistics when considering how many PCs do nothing more than general purpose computing, gaming or business workstation tasks. The point is that Apple represents a large, influential percentage of the pro audio market and many of us have been staring at a fuzzy Reason rack for over 5 years, so this update is very welcome. Pretty much every other audio company in the industry have been "retina" ready for half a decade now.
Last edited by Tronam on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KVRAF
3989 posts since 6 Nov, 2009

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:22 am

Remember Jesus' Reason-ing? Sell all that you own and adopt his ways for salvation. It's a nice thought... no plugins to hunt down after a Windows reinstall. Everything inside Reason. Hell, Reason probably supports VST now and I forgot even?

KVRAF
28478 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:26 am

machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:20 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:15 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:12 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:05 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 am


It really depends on your screen size.
I'm sure this is a joke
No, it isn't. It depends on your screen size, whether or not the Reason rack with 1080p appears big or not.

You can run Reason on a 7" tablet with 1080p, and it'll all be tiny, while it'll be very big when you run it at that resolution on a 32" display. Has nothing to with the resolution itself, but with the resolution/screen size ratio.
That's some serious twisted logic. "high resolution is too expensive!" then you mention 32" displays???? :lol:


I'm using a 27" 1080P display, bog standard. Reason is too small on this display, period.
It's small, but, I can use Reason Lite on my 24.5" 1080p display here.

It depends how far you are from your display as well, of course. And how good your eyesight is. ;)
Sometimes, you just troll, it might be unintentional, but you seem to hate losing an argument, even if it means looking silly. The 27" is a Raven, I'm less than two feet from it, it sits on the desktop, most other plug ins are already high resolution and look great with scaling etc. Reason is tiny, it's out of date, there's nothing to argue about.
Ok then. Discussion ended, because you said so. ;)

Shame that you don't seem to grasp the idea of a "discussion platform".
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF
3389 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:28 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 am
I'm not defeating anything. On the contrary, it's rather counterproductive to run a resolution which makes stuff unreadable, and then scale the stuff to make it readable, just to have 5% more sharpness.

I just think you're a bit in war mode right now. ;)
Again, you seem to not recognize when you're sitting alone on a side that not a soul agrees with.
Not one person has come to your defense, because your point is... you don't even have one... it's just trolling.

There's no way Reason is getting a high resolution setting without the ability to scale the GUI. That would make no sense, since some of us still use 1080P on 27" monitors. The fact is even on a 27" screen now at a regular resolution, knobs are teeny tiny, the size of the mouse arrow etc.

Reason is getting a higher resolution setting, hopefully GUI resizing, otherwise it's a bit of a mess. I suppose it's possible they do one without the other, but that would be a fatal mistake along with subscription IMO.

KVRAF
28478 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:28 am

Tronam wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:21 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 am
Tronam wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:57 am
It's not like HiDPI displays are some new, up-and-coming technology. "Retina" MacBooks first launched in 2012 with the 5K iMacs following suit in 2014. Once you've spent a good amount of time staring at that level of razor sharp clarity, it's difficult to go back.
How fortunate that Apple, with their 16% market share world wide or something, aren't the center of the universe. :ud:

Such displays only got affordable a few years back. The average computer user doesn't buy a computer or laptop for 2.000 € plus. While many Mac users do.

Anyway, we can discuss this until next Christmas. Or, we just agree that the vast majority of users still use full HD displays, as that's a fact.
And what percentage of those systems spend their entire existence checking e-mail, paying bills, running Microsoft Office or collecting dust? I would've assumed that most here by now understood how pointless it is to bring up global install-base statistics when considering how many PCs do nothing more than general purpose computing, gaming or business workstation tasks. The point is that Apple represents a large, influential percentage of the pro audio market and many of us have been staring at a fuzzy Reason rack for over 5 years, so this update is very welcome. Pretty much every other audio company in the industry have been "retina" ready for half a decade now.
Yes, there's more Mac users using audio software than the general public.

BTW, the second most used resolution, only a percent or so in second place, is HD ready (1367x768). So, yeah, for common purpose PC use, 4K is as exotic as it can get. Might not be so relevant for audio software use. Would be interesting to see how the market share is there, resolution wise. I'd still say 1080p is the most common resolution, but, who knows?
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”