Reason high-res beta starts soon!!!

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRAF
28498 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:31 am

machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:28 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 am
I'm not defeating anything. On the contrary, it's rather counterproductive to run a resolution which makes stuff unreadable, and then scale the stuff to make it readable, just to have 5% more sharpness.

I just think you're a bit in war mode right now. ;)
Again, you seem to not recognize when you're sitting alone on a side that not a soul agrees with.
Not one person has come to your defense, because your point is... you don't even have one... it's just trolling.

There's no way Reason is getting a high resolution setting without the ability to scale the GUI. That would make no sense, since some of us still use 1080P on 27" monitors. The fact is even on a 27" screen now at a regular resolution, knobs are teeny tiny, the size of the mouse arrow etc.

Reason is getting a higher resolution setting, hopefully GUI resizing, otherwise it's a bit of a mess. I suppose it's possible they do one without the other, but that would be a fatal mistake along with subscription IMO.
Save your words. You just imperiously ended the discussion. There's no need to continue it.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF
3391 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:33 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:26 am
Ok then. Discussion ended, because you said so. ;)

Shame that you don't seem to grasp the idea of a "discussion platform".
There's a difference between a discussion and arguments where one person is dead set on winning. No one in their right mind mentions 32" displays as a solution after talking trash about the price of HD displays, unless their only point is to "win".

This is basic debate 101, you can't move the goalpost to make your point without looking irrational.

User avatar
KVRAF
3391 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:34 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:31 am

Save your words. You just imperiously ended the discussion. There's no need to continue it.
Honey buns, you're not a moderator here. :wink:

KVRAF
28498 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:38 am

Well... you prevented any further discussion. Not me. Get back to me when you're actually able to use forums.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRAF
3391 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:41 am

antic604 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:15 am
machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 am
I'm sure this is a joke, but I'm talking 1920x1080, about as bog standard as it gets. Reason 11 is still the tiniest DAW I own, a real squint fest. So yes, better resolution for sure, and hopefully the ability to resize the entire Application is coming.
Yeah. I'm testing the beta and even at 125% on a 1080p 15'' laptop it's way worse than Bitwig or Studio One at 100%. Lots of the elements of the GUI or devices and hit-boxes (where you need to click to perform something) are way too small. There's probably very little they can do for devices, especially 3rd party ones, but Reason's GUI deserves at least some fixes - those triangle that unfold tracks & automation lanes for example, or the ones that unfold devices in the Rack. You need gaming mouse precision to hit them reliably :(
Well that blows! So Reason is high resolution but still no resizable GUI? :dog:
Even old school Digital Performer has a resizable GUI at this point. I literally jumped back on from v2.5 to 11, and it's crazy how these older DAWs and plug ins just get swamped down by their bloated outdated GUI frameworks.

User avatar
KVRAF
3391 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:52 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:38 am
Well... you prevented any further discussion. Not me. Get back to me when you're actually able to use forums.
Again, you're not in control. I'm fascinated by how different people communicate. I would never frame anything I write online like I had the power to control your behavior.

I suppose it explains why high resolution support seems personal to you. When I'm confronted with a feature I don't need or use I rarely have an opinion, especially if others seem to want said feature. ... but I don't know how to use forums. :lol:

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8900 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:35 pm

Ok, for those still confused whether it's a big update or not, below the same "project" running on 1080p screen with 125% scaling.

Save the images to your computer, open them full screenand flick between them to see the difference. Remember that most elements of Reason GUI (master section, channel header, browser, transport bar) and 3rd party REs (Synapse DR-1Reverb) are still low-res, so they don't differ much. But compare even the font in browser or menus up top - it's a HUGE difference in clarity, I in particular love how Pulveriser pops-out now! :love:

Image

Image
Last edited by antic604 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
3391 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:20 pm

antic604 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:35 pm
Ok, for those still confused whether it's a big update or not, below the same "project" running on 1080p screen with 125% scaling.

EDIT: I've made a video (no talking) switching between the two:
Thanks, the video helps. I do think without Application scaling it's still only halfway there. Just to be clear, you're scaling your entire screen from inside Windows or the actual monitor right? Getting reason itself to scale would be ideal.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8900 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:24 pm

machinesworking wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:20 pm
Just to be clear, you're scaling your entire screen from inside Windows or the actual monitor right? Getting reason itself to scale would be ideal.
Yes, Reason follows Windows' scaling factor (so in this case 1080p at 125%), unlike Bitwig, Live, Renoise or FL Studio where the scaling can be set independently.

Obviously, we can't exclude it won't be available in the final version... :pray:

As is, I don't think I'd even call it an alpha :)
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
KVRAF
3391 posts since 15 Aug, 2003 from seattle

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:30 pm

antic604 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:24 pm
Obviously, we can't exclude it won't be available in the final version... :pray:

As is, I don't think I'd even call it an alpha :)
Well I hope you're not just wishful thinking here. I actually like the GUI but I would like to use it as much as possible with touch screens since I have one. Plus it's just annoying how much smaller it is than other DAWs and plug ins.
As it stands since upgrading to 11, I use it mostly as a plug in, monster pad machine. Layer multiple of it's built in synths to taste.

User avatar
KVRAF
1741 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from your mom

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:43 pm

antic604 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:35 pm
Ok, for those still confused whether it's a big update or not, below the same "project" running on 1080p screen with 125% scaling.

Save the images to your computer, open them full screenand flick between them to see the difference. Remember that most elements of Reason GUI (master section, channel header, browser, transport bar) and 3rd party REs (Synapse DR-1Reverb) are still low-res, so they don't differ much. But compare even the font in browser or menus up top - it's a HUGE difference in clarity, I in particular love how Pulveriser pops-out now! :love:

Image

Image


EDIT: I've made a video (no talking) switching between the two:

https://youtu.be/6Ql2TK_w9d8
That's an incredible improvement in clarity, even at 1080p. :party: @chk071 - how's that crow taste? :D :lol: jk
Win 10 | Reason 11 | Studio One 4.6 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live & Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

User avatar
KVRist
308 posts since 29 Apr, 2019

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:55 pm

antic604 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:35 pm
Ok, for those still confused whether it's a big update or not, below the same "project" running on 1080p screen with 125% scaling.

Save the images to your computer, open them full screenand flick between them to see the difference. Remember that most elements of Reason GUI (master section, channel header, browser, transport bar) and 3rd party REs (Synapse DR-1Reverb) are still low-res, so they don't differ much. But compare even the font in browser or menus up top - it's a HUGE difference in clarity, I in particular love how Pulveriser pops-out now! :love:

snip
I guess that's decent if you run higher than 100% scale. I run at 100% on all my screens even my 15" laptop, so the blurring doesn't happen on my end and everything is readable.

Also only really having 1 rack visible would drive me nuts for my workflow inside of reason.
Image

KVRian
590 posts since 17 Oct, 2018

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:09 pm

chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:28 am
Tronam wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:21 am
chk071 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:03 am
Tronam wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:57 am
It's not like HiDPI displays are some new, up-and-coming technology. "Retina" MacBooks first launched in 2012 with the 5K iMacs following suit in 2014. Once you've spent a good amount of time staring at that level of razor sharp clarity, it's difficult to go back.
How fortunate that Apple, with their 16% market share world wide or something, aren't the center of the universe. :ud:

Such displays only got affordable a few years back. The average computer user doesn't buy a computer or laptop for 2.000 € plus. While many Mac users do.

Anyway, we can discuss this until next Christmas. Or, we just agree that the vast majority of users still use full HD displays, as that's a fact.
And what percentage of those systems spend their entire existence checking e-mail, paying bills, running Microsoft Office or collecting dust? I would've assumed that most here by now understood how pointless it is to bring up global install-base statistics when considering how many PCs do nothing more than general purpose computing, gaming or business workstation tasks. The point is that Apple represents a large, influential percentage of the pro audio market and many of us have been staring at a fuzzy Reason rack for over 5 years, so this update is very welcome. Pretty much every other audio company in the industry have been "retina" ready for half a decade now.
Yes, there's more Mac users using audio software than the general public.

BTW, the second most used resolution, only a percent or so in second place, is HD ready (1367x768). So, yeah, for common purpose PC use, 4K is as exotic as it can get. Might not be so relevant for audio software use. Would be interesting to see how the market share is there, resolution wise. I'd still say 1080p is the most common resolution, but, who knows?

Where are you getting that statistic from? You can't just say something like that with no actual information/link to back it up. Otherwise it looks like you are making it up to prove your point (which if true makes your point...well pointless).
Studio One 5.2 // Bitwig 3.3.4 // Logic Pro X 10.6 // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // MPC // Force // Maschine

KVRist
191 posts since 9 Jun, 2019 from Brisbane Australia

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:14 pm

Based off those screen shots this will improve my 24" 1080 experience IF I use Windows scaling or Windows magnifying glass.
Really hoping Reason will get it's own zoom/scale though.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

8900 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 pm

zoidkirb wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:14 pm
...or Windows magnifying glass.
I doubt this. Windows' magnifying glass doesn't have access to app's original assets - it just uses what's on screen and blows it up.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”