Studio One 5

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I have recently thinked about changing into Studio One for mixing and mastering purposes, is it a good idea or are there better daws for that purpose??
Thanks

What DAW are you currently using and what exactly about it's mixing and mastering abilities do you find lacking? Most DAWs can handle mixing and mastering audio tracks without any major issues. So what problem are you looking to solve by spending money on a new DAW for mixing and mastering?

To the S1 users: does the project page include automation yet? I haven't been following too closely but I remember that being an issue in prior versions.

I am looking for some workflow while mixing because I am using Reaper for mixing and mastering and Ableton for producing. I could use Ableton but I am not comfortable mixing there.

Ableton, Reaper and Studio One are all being used for mixing and mastering as well as for producing. They're all perfectly capable at both roles.

I suggest you try the demo of Studio One or download the free Prime version and decide for yourself whether the workflow fits you personally better than the workflows in Ableton or Reaper. Only you can determine that.

Yeah, i know every daw is capable of doing almost anything you want. I will try those versions to try to decide weather I buy it or not. Thank u for your time bro

Joizee wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:18 pm I am looking for some workflow while mixing because I am using Reaper for mixing and mastering and Ableton for producing. I could use Ableton but I am not comfortable mixing there.
I went the other way, was using Studio One as a primary and been living in Reaper land. When it comes to mixing and mastering tasks, I'm not sure there's anything Studio One does better than Reaper other than just having less of a learning curve and being more intuitive. But you can configure Reaper to behave just about however you'd like.

Use stereo tracks a lot? In Studio One, you'd have to use the "Dual Pan" plugin to adjust the channel panning. In Reaper, stereo pans are built right into the mixer. Reaper doesn't have Post Insert fx's, but I believe the Project Page in Studio One does. Not a huge feature by any means, but may help in a mastering context. But then again, the Project Page in Studio One doesn't have automation from what I recall, which seems bonkers, so strike against.

No DAW is perfect. They can all do basic mixing and mastering. Where I'd give Studio One the edge over Reaper isn't with mixing or mastering but rather having quick, easy to use compositional tools, good comping features, and a streamlined UI with low learning curve. Reaper is more configurable, but more difficult to learn, has a tedious comping system, and has options upon options to master. If you can master Reaper though, you can really start flying with it.

On the one hand, you'd be best off really mastering one DAW, but it totally makes sense to use more than one DAW for different tasks too because they do have different strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah I would choose Studio One, Reaper, or Pro Tools for mixing and mastering. I chose Reaper as it's a bit cheaper and has some cool features. I tried Studio One and it has some cool features too but Reaper just came more naturally to me.

Studio One Professional has a very tight integration for mastering multiple songs at a time.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8lBP_zPJiI Though this feature is exclusive to the Pro version.

I have used Cakewalk for a long time for both producing, mixing and mastering. I think it definitely helps to use differents DAWs so as to seperate the different processes. But if you want a tight integration, the pro version is the way to go.
An added advantage is the great integration with the Presonus faderport series so definitely have a look there.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”