Reason 12 announced

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12 Reason Intro Reason Suite

imrae wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:33 pm
EnochLight wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:54 pm
SLiC wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:26 pm Notation in Reason! I think you are missing the point completely. :lol:
Lol! Indeed. :lol:
I thought I agreed, but on second thoughts Props have been adding a bunch of ROMplers and sample instruments which seem equally out of place. Maybe they are trying to make Reason more appealing to composers and songwriters.
I think this more for stuff like chords and scales players, notation is a different thing and there are some really great and relatively cheap notation programs if that's your thing. I think if you read music and score in musical notation you are probably already using Sibelius, Dorico or even Notation. The built in DAW offerings are pretty weak compared to these program (I have Notation, but I must admit I don't use it often!)

I guess INTRANCER must be doing some pretty advanced stuff if he is using both the step editor and the full blow notation in a project! Personally I pick the DAW for the project, if I am doing 'electronic' pattern based music I boot up Bitwig, Live or even FL. If I am recording a band or mainly audio I boot up S1, If I am just recording a track with a few synths, guitar and vocal (my stuff, just me) I may well boot up Reason now I know how comprehensive and easy to use the sequencer is as its all I need 99% of the time!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

This is an auto drummer I made in Reason with a few modules. The drummer will play random ghost notes along the main rhythm and every 16th bar a fill that very seldom is the same. It is probability based of course. But this illustrates what Reason is to me: Freedom!

Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

antic604 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:45 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:02 pmWhat's going to happen with the SSL Mixer ?....
Hopefully just a HD spit & polish. It's pretty much perfect - best mixer in any DAW I worked with.
I'd like to see a fold out remote control version of all the mixer knobs directly in the rack along the fader that we already have now. This way we would have bigger knobs for tweaking and it would save a lot of window hopping. This would also be nice position to add some extra metering.

SLiC wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:55 pm
I guess INTRANCER must be doing some pretty advanced stuff if he is using both the step editor and the full blow notation in a project!
It's more of a case where a step editor would play multiple roll's, but you can't have a notation editor without step-time input functionality unless you enjoy masochism.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Benutzername wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:08 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:45 pm Hopefully just a HD spit & polish. It's pretty much perfect - best mixer in any DAW I worked with.
I'd like to see a fold out remote control version of all the mixer knobs directly in the rack along the fader that we already have now. This way we would have bigger knobs for tweaking and it would save a lot of window hopping. This would also be nice position to add some extra metering.
One thing I do wish I could do in Reason is have the main mixer at the bottom of my screen instead of the top. Feels like it would be more natural.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:15 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:45 pm Hopefully just a HD spit & polish. It's pretty much perfect - best mixer in any DAW I worked with.
One thing I do wish I could do in Reason is have the main mixer at the bottom of my screen instead of the top. Feels like it would be more natural.
I mean.,. If you have enough screens you could do this :lol:

MuzikFreq wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:22 pm I mean.,. If you have enough screens you could do this :lol:
Heheh - yeah I actually run twin monitors and usually keep the mixer on one monitor; rack and sequencer on the other. But for single displays (especially on the laptop), it would be nice to dock it at the bottom.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:15 pm
Yes, be nice to just drag the title bars around and relocate them, I cant see why that would be technically difficult, they are essentially just locked windows (I assume)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Another little QOL feature would being able to name audio inputs in general settings (I have 32 of them!) so that when you are in full screen sequencer mode you can see what you are selecting in audio inputs.

EnochLight wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:15 pmOne thing I do wish I could do in Reason is have the main mixer at the bottom of my screen instead of the top. Feels like it would be more natural.
I just want this as a native option (that manual setup isn't recovered after save, is very fiddly / unstable and doesn't look consistent):

Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Benutzername wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:08 pm it would save a lot of window hopping
I wonder if people use alt+tab (or however you'd do that again on OSX) with Reason... this makes switching between the three main windows (detached&maximized) basically a non-issue - it may perhaps take a moment to get used to it, but then again you are used to use tab for view-switching in the Rack already anyway.... I have the windows set up like this in my default file(s) already, so they're basically never attached here... (ewww)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:34 pm
Benutzername wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:08 pm it would save a lot of window hopping
I wonder if people use alt+tab (or however you'd do that again on OSX) with Reason... this makes switching between the three main windows (detached&maximized) basically a non-issue - it may perhaps take a moment to get used to it, but then again you are used to use tab for view-switching in the Rack already anyway.... I have the windows set up like this in my default file(s) already, so they're basically never attached here... (ewww)
You can use ALT TAB but that moves through them in order so you may have to press it twice to get to what you want. There isn't really much point as the windows are already allocated to F5, F6 and F7 and will switch full screen directly (the F keys can also be mapped to a controller or mouse buttons etc)

It has an enourmous advantage as you will thanks to both muscle-memory and accessibility of the keys (those function keys are rather for you right hand, so it has to stop doing whatever it was doing and even then it requires a bit of a stretch to reach them, while the alt+tab sit perfectly to be reached quickly and comfortably for your left-hand) be able to switch much faster - also the double-switch is pretty much a non-issue. You have to keep in mind that function keys are Reason specific and much harder to develop muscle-memory for than the alt+tab, which is a generic OS function. Plus, as I mentioned before, you use the tab key already anyway in Reason to switch to the back of the rack, so all you have to do it is to add your thumb on the alt key. (I am writing this as a right-handed person though, things might be very different if you are left-handed).

Try it - you can thank me later. :razz:

edit: fixed brackets
Last edited by jens on Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:56 am It has an enourmous advantage as you will thanks to both muscle-memory and accessibility of the keys - those function keys are rather for you right hand, so it has to stop doing whatever it was doing and even then it requires a bit of a stretch to reach them, while the alt+tab sit perfectly to be reached quickly and comfortably for your left-hand) be able to switch much faster - also the double-switch is pretty much a non-issue. You have to keep in mind that function keys are Reason specific and much harder to develop muscle-memory for than the alt+tab, which is a generic OS function. Plus, as I mentioned before, you use the tab key already anyway in Reason to switch to the back of the rack, so all you have to do it is to add your thumb on the alt key. (I am writing this as a right-handed person though, things might be very different if you are left-handed).

Try it - you can thank me later. :razz:
Its good to have options, I like the ALT TAB method but I programmed the F keys in to my gaming mouse which has 6 buttons where your thumb sits, so I can open the 3 windows, browser and spectrum one handed...I have the buttons programmed for most daws (it switches based on the program that's loaded) - normally I have then set to switch tools (pencil, cut, erase etc) and may end up going back to that with Reason...I could just use one mouse button for ALT TAB and have 5 tools -still experimenting, I also have a middle mouse button (scroll wheel click) which way work well set to ALT TAB for switching :tu:

Ah yes, programmable mouse-buttons are certainly great too!

I have a Panorama P1 too, which I can use as well to switch windows, but tbh I barely use it... but mouse-buttons I certainly would use. After more than a decade of almost only using laptops I got so used to using keys&touchpad, that everything else tends to feel a bit cumbersome to me (touchscreen aside, which only the weaker one of my two laptops has though), but I have been eyeing these nice gaming mice for a while....

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”